Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Dunnes, Childers Rd

• 20-03-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Ok, not sure if this has been discussed before, but what spanner designed the carpark in the Dunnes complex on Childers road???????

I had my car parked there this evening just across from Maplin and 3-4 spaces on the Childers road side of the roadway that runs through the carpark from Argos Extra towards Dunnes. I got into my car at 5.15 approx and it was 6.00pm by the time I got to the exit!!!!

From the minute I entered the carpark, there was a solid queue of cars down from the Argos end towards Dunnes with cars attempting to join the queue from both sides of that "roadway". It was the same when I tried to leave. Cars trying to get out were blocking cars trying to get in resulting in very little movement at all.

It was ludicrous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Ya its totally ridiculous. No consideration was taken for consumers. They justed wanted a car park to hold as many cars as possible....feck getting in or out.

I started parking on the Smyths/Heatons side of the car park....a lot easier t get out!

What really annoys me though is people trying to drive out the ebtrance on the Bloodmills road.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

rosboy wrote: »
    Ya its totally ridiculous. No consideration was taken for consumers. They justed wanted a car park to hold as many cars as possible....feck getting in or out.

I started parking on the Smyths/Heatons side of the car park....a lot easier t get out!

What really annoys me though is people trying to drive out the ebtrance on the Bloodmills road.:mad:

Yeah, by the time I (eventually!) got to the point where you turn right for the lights in front of Dunnes, there was nobody coming from the SMyths side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Yeah, by the time I (eventually!) got to the point where you turn right for the lights in front of Dunnes, there was nobody coming from the SMyths side.

Hope you learned your lesson so:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Who designed that whole building? When its windy they have to close the doors on one side and there is still a massive draft. There is no set down area, which leads to people parking outside and blocking the entrance.

While I'm at it who designed Dunnes in town too. You have to practically leave the store to get from fruit and veg back to the tills. They stack a load of stock to stop people walking straight through. People are getting paid good money to design these its mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

wingnut wrote: »
    While I'm at it who designed Dunnes in town too. You have to practically leave the store to get from fruit and veg back to the tills. They stack a load of stock to stop people walking straight through. People are getting paid good money to design these its mad.

Or you could just walk around the long way, you lazy git :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of the blame for the design of that place has to fall on the door step of the City Council/An Bord Pleanala.

These developers will design the easiest and cheapest solution for entering and leaving these retail parks. The responsibility should be with the Traffic Managment Department of the Council or An Board Pleanala to ensure that as part of the planning permission terms these places have a proper infrastructure in place for traffic to enter and leave.

Me thinks money changed hands to look the other way. Either that or these idots are totally incompetant at doing their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

bazz26 wrote: »
    Me thinks money changed hands to look the other way. Either that or these idots are totally incompetant at doing their jobs.

A combination of both methinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

bazz26 wrote: »
    Either that or these idots are totally incompetant at doing their jobs.

career_builder_hero.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

I live on the southside and travel out to the jetland because it is quicker than going to Childers road and you can park there in the rain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

sioda wrote: »
    I live on the southside and travel out to the jetland because it is quicker than going to Childers road and you can park there in the rain :D

The Childers Road Shopping Center/Retail Park is a joke but I find the car park in the Jetland is poorly laid out too though the underground is handy, the signage around the car park is also poor.

Try coming in from the Clonmacken Roundabout and getting to the upper level of the car park - around the world in 80 days comes to mind, as you exit from the upper tier to the Ennis Road, there's a sign for No Left Turn it's for within the car park itself but gives the impression that you can't turn left onto the Ennis Road. The exit onto the Ennis Road between the Dunnes carpark and Woodies is too narrow for two lane traffic so the cycling lane is usually blocked.

Most of the blame here lies with the design of the Retail Areas rather than the local authority but as previously posted the local authority have to take a lot of the blame for traffic management around Entrances/Exits to Retail areas.

• Advertisement

Things up around the Childer's Road Retail Park are going to get alot worse when the Parkway Valley place opens.

Plus I was passing by the Parkway Shopping Centre the other day and stopped and had a read of the Planning Applicaiton notice. There is more info on it here:
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=8668&category=Daily-Thu

How many more retail parks/hotels do we need to squeez into one small area?

Also they are proposing putting traffic lights up at the Parkway Roundabout!:eek: Didn't the roundabout originally replace traffic lights at the Dublin Road/Childer's Road junction?

jackncoke wrote: »
    career_builder_hero.jpg

In fairness comparing these idiots to monkeys is insulting to monkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dimo

Did you see the latest novelty idea this idiots just did there?
    They divided the parking on two, north and south and now the two in and out traffic flows are crossing at the only single in/out point...
    Before it was awsome to get out, now it is impossible neither to get in norr to escape...
    The shopping is DEAD.

Just for check on http://www.canalwalk.co.za/parking.htm

to see how 7000 places are organized that in/out time is max 15 minutes in the maximum traffic time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pavillions in swords is much better - they offer 2 hours free parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dimo

Mind, rand- euro is R10 = €1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I dont go near Dunnes on Childers Road, you'll get in there but you wont get out. A dead loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I dont go near Dunnes on Childers Road, you'll get in there but you wont get out. A dead loss.

I too gave up on Childers Rd.retail park years ago, after a particularly frustrating Christmas Week shopping trip - just before the recession began - and shoppers/cars were totally gridlocked, unable to get out of the car-park.

Ambulances, emergencies? ..... forget it. Another fine example of incompetent people being paid to make a total f**k-up of something.

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Didn't think it was possible, but they have made it worse, fair play!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement