Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey 3 Day Race

Options
  • 20-03-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Any racing cyclists on the boards?

Gorey 3 day starts on saturday from Tallaght. I think it covered 28 miles in the first hour last year - with the stong northerly winds forecast could be the fastest trip to Gorey ever!

Should be interesting when 170 riders hit Blessington at 30+miles per hour!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Its going to be chaos. I am heading down for Ras Mumhan but we are sending a strong team to Gorey alright. If these winds don't calm down I am betting on carnage in Gorey at the weekend. What am I saying 170 riders, there will be carnage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

could be wet too. nasty. what are the handicaps like for a S3 in the gorey?

No Handicaps in Gorey, you go out and take your beating and thats it !

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

ba wrote: »
    could be wet too. nasty. what are the handicaps like for a S3 in the gorey?

yeah no handicaps for us boys, expect the worse, i never remember a Gorey that had good overall conditions......but should be fun ;-)

think the Ballinrobe 2-day (early sept) is the only stage race that gives a handicap, correct me if I'm wrong here thou.

yeah the first half of the first stage is gona be mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

I always think stage 3 is the hardest. While the 4 15mile laps should, in theory, be easier then the other 2 road stages, there always seems to be more riders being dropped and pulling out on this stage. I guess its a combination on physical tiredness after the previous day and the mental stress of knowing theres another hard stage the following day. Respect to all riders who finish.

Whats the betting a another junior win this year. Sam Bennett looked really impressive in Carlow last Sunday - Is he riding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

King Kelly wrote: »
    Any racing cyclists on the boards?

Should be interesting when 170 riders hit Blessington at 30+miles per hour!

is it not 200 riders?
    King Kelly wrote: »
    I always think stage 3 is the hardest. While the 4 15mile laps should, in theory, be easier then the other 2 road stages, there always seems to be more riders being dropped and pulling out on this stage. I guess its a combination on physical tiredness after the previous day and the mental stress of knowing theres another hard stage the following day. Respect to all riders who finish.

Whats the betting a another junior win this year. Sam Bennett looked really impressive in Carlow last Sunday - Is he riding?

was told day 2 is hard, but the event this yr will be tough as previous as its so early on in the season....

not sure if SB is doin it, dont see the start list anywhere......

Sam is doing the tour of the north as part of the Ireland Junior team, so thats one less to worry about. Perhaps Lavery will be in contention as will Engleman and co, and I reckon at least one from my own club will be right up there.

I believe that its 185 riders, so no matter what your level, there should be someone to ride around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

90% of them looked well enough when they went by here between 2 and 3pm today.

Hope they missed the little sleet showers we had earlier. Brrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

the pictures look pretty good on the irish cycling website

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Looks like it's mass destruction down in Kerry, lots of small groups coming in all over the place.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Kerry is a nightmare. My former clubmate Ciaran Power is destroying the field down here. Super high standard, lots of big names taking a beating right now. I was passing pro-riders being spat out the back yesterday, crazy cross winds and the climbs are shocking.

Meanwhile my Gorey predictions are looking good. Lavery in the lead and my own club in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Team prize all wrapped up and the individual is there for the taking if they play their cards right, which if last seasons B champs are anything to go by, they won't ! In our club we like to win through brute power rather than tactics ! Old Skool, it makes for less trophies but better racing !

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Yeah, Kerry is a nightmare. My former clubmate Ciaran Power is destroying the field down here. Super high standard, lots of big names taking a beating right now. I was passing pro-riders being spat out the back yesterday, crazy cross winds and the climbs are shocking.

The Pezula lads are winning all round them at the moment

They sure are eagle. I am not surprised either, Ciaran was on most of our weekend spins over the winter and the results of that can be seen in how our riders are performing at the minute. The Pezula boys do savage training, no matter what the weather. They have their new Dolan bikes now also, which look super despite the amount of pink in them. Most of them were riding big clunky Cosmic Carbone SL Premiums as well, which are very heavy wheels. I am loathe to put my set on my new Cervelo R3 SL.

looks like power is at it again http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_2884.shtml

one of our local cyclist is on the pezula team as well, any time he is down for the sunday spin it usually ends being fairly fast

Yep, Power again today. In Gorey, 3 riders went away today (none the the contenders), Gater took the bunch sprint for fourth, but gained no time back on Lavery who wins overall with Comeragh riders in 2nd, 3rd and 4th (I think - only provisionals at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

sam bennett got the king of the hills in the P&O tour of the north. just home from being mechanic to irish juniors. this lad is a savage. sean downey, third overall GC. irish juniors took 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th in junior prize.

Advertisement