Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying your first horse

Options
  • 20-03-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

hiya guys&girls i have decided to realise a dream of mine & buy myself something what?? im not so sure yet im in need of some sound advice off people in the know. i have just got back riding so im a novice ,im in a great yard which i am very happy with ,staff & surroundings are great. i am paying 35 bucks an hr private lesson sharing the hr with my sis who also pays 35 bucks. now i want to really get going on my riding as much as poss so if i was to go 4 times awk which will be 140 bucks. now livery is 100 awk or 80 if they can use my horse:eek: but i just couldnt do that ta save 20 awk. now this seems like the going rate around the waterford area , which im ok with. im about to sell my nice car to allow myself this purchase im thinking about spending 3000g - 5000g . a good hack, safe jumper, etc standing 15h-16.5h. now the price will include bridles,saddle,rugs am i dreaming with a 5grand purse??? any help advice comments please feel free. plus this horse share how do u go about that??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have you ever looked after a horse before?

I really recommend doing the BHS stage one exam before ever getting a horse as it will train you on the basics and give you confidence when you become a horse owner.

It is a huge leap going from lessons to owning a horse, and I think doing something like this would really help.

Mod hat on: paragraphs and good grammar really aid readability, and you would be more likely to get responses if your posts are readable..

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

That course sounds like it would be a great help fits. how would i go about getting more info ?? i really dont intend on rushing in trust me i just have to feel it out b4 i do. i know its a huge responsability but its something i want u know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I agree, you need to be really "well-up" on horse care, feeding, grooming, recognising signs of sickness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Do what I did and do some volunteering (sps?) work in your yard. I did that for two years and it gives you a sense of if you're really ready to look after a horse, I'm getting my first one as well hopefully around may for my 18th birthday, but I feel like I can actually take care of a pony now because of the work that I've done. I'm act not taking lessons at the moment .. which is a bad thing, but that's because of my leaving cert, but with 9 years under my belt I hope it'll be alright.

But from what I've seen looking around at horses a few come with tack, rugs etc, while others don't. Although you'll find it's easy enough to find a horse in the height requirements you're looking for!

So happy hunting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement