Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

n00b question: driver insurance

Options
  • 20-03-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Evening all, sorry if this thread seems horribly n00bish but I'd appreciate the advice.

Basically I'd love to learn to drive, but there's one thing that'd be a pain: insurance.

I would have applied for my provisional licence long ago except I'm worried about the insurance.

Once I have my provisional licence, would I unable to learn to drive until I paid insurance? As in, I'd be unable to driver a driving instructor's car until I had paid insurance?

I'm an 18 year old male, non drinker if that makes any difference, and I heard somewhere that it's horrendously expensive as a young male on a provisional licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

singloud wrote: »
    I'd be unable to driver a driving instructor's car until I had paid insurance?
    The driver instructor will have insurance for his own car.

You'll only need insurance to drive your own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

sound, just acouple more queries:

Would I need insurance to drive someone else's car, or just to drive my own?
    If not, do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost for me to be insured under someone else's car insurace (I've heard that lowers the price)

Would I be able to pass a driving test and obtain a full licence without ever having to pay for provisonal insurance (pass the provisional test, get driving lessons, pass the driving exam,then obtain insurance under a full licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Would I be able to pass a driving test and obtain a full licence without ever having to pay for provisonal insurance (pass the provisional test, get driving lessons, pass the driving exam,then obtain insurance under a full licence)
    If you are a young male driver, whether or not you have passed a driving test will not really make much difference in the cost of your insurance. If you have never had any insurance policy, you will be considered to be a first time young male driver and therefore a very high risk.

Having a full licence may reduce the cost by a slight margin but you'd be lucky if it were 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If one of your parents drive, try going on there insurance as them as a named driver for a year or two.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Would I need insurance to drive someone else's car, or just to drive my own?
    If not, do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost for me to be insured under someone else's car insurace (I've heard that lowers the price)
    As a rule, yes. The car owner would have to put you on their insurance policy as a named driver. Some policies will cover un-named fully licenced drivers, but not provisional licences.

having you as a named driver would increase the cost of a policy, beacuse you are considered high-risk. On the other hand, naming your mother (or any low-risk driver) on your policy might reduce it's cost a little.

As others have said, a full licence won't make a huge difference - lack of experience is the big deal. You can always call your insurer once you get the full licence, and they will discount your policy for the remainder of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement