Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could have any Rifle what would it be?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Hezz700 wrote: »
    rowa wrote: »
    no plastic fantastics here , just gunny insulting an english guy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDLjfA1Ylw[/QUOTE

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine"

Ya gotta love Lee Emery:D

Wouldnt it have brilliant if he said it haha !!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I would love two rifles built by TT Proctor,

A double in 416 Rigby

and a mauser action bolt rifle in 7X57

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

My bolt action rifles are just about perfect for my needs....but I would love a double. A side by side would be more traditional but after checking out many "affordable" double rifles my favourite was a Rizzini over under. That thing came up better than my Beretta 12ga. I'd prefer it in 9.3x74R, but 30-06 would do. Of course open sights.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

dwighet wrote: »
    .308?
    Nope. 243 But available in 308, 7mm and just about any other big calibre that there is an upper made for.

Now the M1a Are we talking the M1a Garand?The M1 30 calibre carbine?Or the M1A Springfield semi auto copy of the M14?
    Good news all are actually classified now as vintage rifles,maybe not so much the Springfield M1A? I dunno on that one,they are stupidly expensive too. The only advantage I see on them to the Garand is it is a box loader in a smaller calibre.Its more or less the same rifle and system.

Join the vintage rifle club,that should be good reason enough.Also there are shooting disiplines out there that use semis as well.Actually Camp Perry matches in the USA STILL have a category for M1 Garands,m1 carbines,M1A springfields and AR15s.[You will be going up against the best there too]
    Hmmm might join them mysef.I always fancied a semi auto silent STEN Mk2 carbine .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

ejg wrote: »
    My bolt action rifles are just about perfect for my needs....but I would love a double. A side by side would be more traditional but after checking out many "affordable" double rifles my favourite was a Rizzini over under. That thing came up better than my Beretta 12ga. I'd prefer it in 9.3x74R, but 30-06 would do. Of course open sights.
    edi

have you ever seen the baikel double rifles ? i know they are not finely made british or italian masterpieces but anything i have read about them suggests they are great value.

http://www.yorkguns.com/baikal_rifles.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    As only A USMC Gunny can do it.Nasty and with style!:D
    Does "with style" mean "not through the middle of the target" then? :D

Sparks wrote: »

he hit it didn't he :rolleyes: lol, still the slow motion scene of the enfield is good .

He might have barely hit it, but that's not an assault rifle rowa, he's meant to be more accurate with it!

He might have barely hit it, but that's not an assault rifle rowa, he's meant to be more accurate with it!

he was trying to do the "mad minute"

IIRC, the point of the mad minute was to train to break an oncoming infantry charge...
    ...which is rather hard when you miss or have to wait until the target gets closer :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

1523223_buffbill_9large.jpg

Beautiful piece of craftsman ship

No,I meant his comments to the English guy throughout the video clip.:)
    Sorry,it is a "Grunt" thing...:)
    have you ever seen the baikel double rifles ? i know they are not finely made british or italian masterpieces but anything i have read about them suggests they are great value.

Does anyone know why SXS rifles cost so much?Not just a name or engraving.It is the actual work hours that go into getting the SXS barrels to shot,more or less on point at a fixed distance with a specific load to the rifle.The barrells have to be wedged and sweated into position,test fired ,be minutely re adjusted with blocks and shims,sweated back together and re shot.Then they have to be tested when the barrels are hot,to see how accurate it is then]By accurate I mean hunting accurate,not paper punching accurate.The O/U isnt as bad,but there is alot of the same work involved,and some adjustable gadgets in the barrels of some to give some coherent more or less in the same area shots from both barrels.
    Which brings me onto the point of the O/U baikals ,will their accruacy be any way good?Considering Baikal makes yokes ideally fixable on the collective farm with a pipe vice, a stilson wrench,and a hammer.
    Fine I would say for deer or boar,but I would question them for cape bufflao or a charging elephant.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

No,I meant his comments to the English guy throughout the video clip.:)
    Sorry,it is a "Grunt" thing...:)

Does anyone know why SXS rifles cost so much?Not just a name or engraving.It is the actual work hours that go into getting the SXS barrels to shot,more or less on point at a fixed distance with a specific load to the rifle.The barrells have to be wedged and sweated into position,test fired ,be minutely re adjusted with blocks and shims,sweated back together and re shot.Then they have to be tested when the barrels are hot,to see how accurate it is then]By accurate I mean hunting accurate,not paper punching accurate.The O/U isnt as bad,but there is alot of the same work involved,and some adjustable gadgets in the barrels of some to give some coherent more or less in the same area shots from both barrels.
    Which brings me onto the point of the O/U baikals ,will their accruacy be any way good?Considering Baikal makes yokes ideally fixable on the collective farm with a pipe vice, a stilson wrench,and a hammer.
    Fine I would say for deer or boar,but I would question them for cape bufflao or a charging elephant.:eek:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/hoffman_estates/merkel/772454_merkelourifle_hof.jsp;jsessionid=CQ2ZNI01CQJZTLAQBBJCCO3MCAEFGIWE?categoryId=SEARCH_gl

They have lots of cool shiiiiiiiiit
    I got the grande tour

Ah I have looked at them before,

But too much hassle to own in this country.

A 12g with a rifled barrel is as good as any of those fancy big game guns and for a fraction of the cost.

i'm fairly easy please, Accurate, Deadly , Dependable. Thats why i love Hornady ammo:D:D

I always had a grá for double hammer guns as well. For no other reason than they are not used any more.

The nicest handgun I ever fired was a S&W686 using .38WC
    Tack drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

My favourite is the HK mp5 in 9mm,love those guns with the full stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

1523223_buffbill_9large.jpg

Beautiful piece of craftsman ship

Yuck, they could've at least got rid of some of the machining marks!

murph226 wrote: »
    Yuck, they could've at least got rid of some of the machining marks!

They are antique, and by American machining standards are quite good for their day!:D

They are antique, and by American machining standards are quite good for their day!:D
    they were also made in london and were better then the american ones, surprising when such big names were operating like tranter, adams and of course wobbly err i mean webley.

Has anyone here ever stalked with a zastava rifle ? i seen a few of their sporting rifles in shops and they were cheap, sub-€450 , mauser actioned and looked well finished, particuarly good blueing .

http://www.zastava-arms.co.rs/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

L30 CHARM, plus mounting system.

Failing that, the DSR-1 mentioned earlier would be nice.
    However, moving into the realm of 'reality', the closest equivalent, I think, would be the Desert Tactical Stealth Recon Scout. Cheesy name, but by all accounts, a very good rifle. Still kindof pricey for casual use, mind.

specs-main.jpg
    SetWidth800-stealth-recon-scout-srs.png

Multi-calibre, changes from the expensive (these days) .308/7.62 to the stupidly expensive .338LM in about three minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSMYe4mVwOU&feature=player_embedded

In reality, however, I'd think my next purchase will be an Enfield. One of the few bolt-actions I'm interested in.
    IIRC, the point of the mad minute was to train to break an oncoming infantry charge...
    ...which is rather hard when you miss or have to wait until the target gets closer :D

Mad Minutes in Vietnam were sortof the infantry equivalent of Crazy Ivans. At some random, unannounced time, everybody manning the perimeter of a firebase would empty a magazine or belt. Keep people who were trying to sneak up honest.

NTM

• Advertisement

L30 CHARM, plus mounting system.

Failing that, the DSR-1 mentioned earlier would be nice.
    However, moving into the realm of 'reality', the closest equivalent, I think, would be the Desert Tactical Stealth Recon Scout. Cheesy name, but by all accounts, a very good rifle. Still kindof pricey for casual use, mind.

specs-main.jpg
    SetWidth800-stealth-recon-scout-srs.png

Multi-calibre, changes from the expensive (these days) .308/7.62 to the stupidly expensive .338LM in about three minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSMYe4mVwOU&feature=player_embedded

In reality, however, I'd think my next purchase will be an Enfield. One of the few bolt-actions I'm interested in.

Mad Minutes in Vietnam were sortof the infantry equivalent of Crazy Ivans. At some random, unannounced time, everybody manning the perimeter of a firebase would empty a magazine or belt. Keep people who were trying to sneak up honest.

NTM

Bullpup bolt action .308
    Interesting,,,I wonder would the bolt cycling be easier as a bull pup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Desert Tactical Stealth Recon Scout

:D:D:D
    PMSL

That is such a naff name!:D

Looks good though!
    Pity it's got such a dumb name - Imagine the conversation:
    Buddy: Hey, that's a nice looking rifle there, matey.
    You: Gee, thanks, she shoots well too.
    Buddy: Nice, what rifle is it?
    You: It's the "Desert Tactical Stealth Recon Scout" in .308
    Buddy: Oh, ok, right so, hhmmmmm, catch you later!

:D:rolleyes:

And restricted here due to it being a Bullpup design:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Can you imagine the boys in blue if you mentioned that name to them. Classic case of, "I don't like the sounda dat"! :D

Advertisement