Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Survey - neccessary in a 5 year old house??

Options
  • 20-03-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Can anyone tell me whether it is neccessary to get a full property survey done on a small 2 bedroom terrace house which is only about 5/7 years old? We have had a valuation done for our bank and they haven't requested a full survey but we don't want to take any silly shortcuts...but at the same time I am reluctant to spend 500 euro on something which is unneccessary.

If so, can you tell me what price is good for a survey??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A penny wise a pound foolish?

Potentially find someone to do the valaution and the survey in the one. For all you know the foundations are dud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 carpentoza

If it is actually only 5 years old you could check out if its still covered by homebond which normally lasts 10 years and covers you for structural failings.

The previous poster is correct though why try and save 500 euro on a purchase so expensive. A good idea is to go around with the engineer on his survey and ask questions he may be helpful and advise you on how to increase insulation etc, little things that you might not be aware of.
    Engineers reports often have so many disclaimers attached that they wont help you in the event of a structural problem but they will point out if there is likely to be a problem in the future in my experience.
    Whether covered by homebond or an engineers insurance structural issues are rare but when they do happen are a nightmare for the homeowner so best to ensure you are not buying a heap of trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

A survey of some kind is always necessary no matter what the age of the house. Homebond only covers the structure. There may be problems with fittings in the house which will not be covered. Sometimes if a fault is discovered the price can be bargained down to take account of it. If there is a serious fault with the property, it is better to find out and walk away rather than go to the trouble of having it rectified. Prices for surveys can be negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LinoRichie

can anyone recommend a good surveyor in South Dublin?

thanks.

Advertisement