Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite from Memories

Options
  • 21-03-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey was just wondering what everyones favourite part is in this collection of three parts.

Personally i LOVE cannon fodder. I just love the syle and story in particular. The other three are also really enjoyable. Hard choice really. Stink bomb is my least favourite really. Although I can't pinpoint why....:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I hafta' agree, Stink Bomb was definetely the weakest. I couldn't choose over the other two though, both are extremely influential to me. I've also read the manga short the Magnetic Rose segment was based on, which was pretty awesome...
    Have you ever seen Neo Tokyo? It's an older sister of Memories, and contains 3 shorts too (one of which is directed by Otomo again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Saruwatari wrote: »
    I hafta' agree, Stink Bomb was definetely the weakest. I couldn't choose over the other two though, both are extremely influential to me. I've also read the manga short the Magnetic Rose segment was based on, which was pretty awesome...
    Have you ever seen Neo Tokyo? It's an older sister of Memories, and contains 3 shorts too (one of which is directed by Otomo again).

No I havent seen that man. I'll definitely have to check it out soon.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cannon Fodder was cool alright, kinda like a prelude to Steamboy, although the latter could have used the stunning artwork of CF.

Though the first short (Magnetic Rose?) was great as well (and scripted by Satoshi Kon, no?) but I fell asleep briefly during Stink Bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I've only seen the first half of Magnetic Rose. Really must watch them all. Are they all as surreal and artistic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Varkov wrote: »
    I've only seen the first half of Magnetic Rose. Really must watch them all. Are they all as surreal and artistic?

Cannon Fodder and Magnetic Rose are very artistic and stylised. Stink Bomb is surreal, but in art style more conventional. Probably the least imaginative of the bunch: very good idea though, just not implemented all that well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

Cannon Fodder was cool alright, kinda like a prelude to Steamboy, although the latter could have used the stunning artwork of CF.

When i saw that steamboy was made in the same style as CF i was very interested, i like the idea of an old technology doing amazing things but the story of steamboy was very weak.
    The idea for CF is quite intriquing, it reminds me of an old computer game called barrage. Basically, you have to blow the hell out of another city for no other reason than its there. CF seemed like that to me, the peoples lives were built around servicing the guns, no other reason to live except kill the the enemy.

I remember that game:D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

owlwink wrote: »
    I remember that game:D

do you see the similarity between the two things?

sme wrote: »
    do you see the similarity between the two things?

yeah it really is quite blatant, nice observation

Advertisement