Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident on grafton street

Options
  • 21-03-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Little rant here sorry,

I'm abit p!ssed off about somthing. Coming out of Stephens Green shopping centre today at about 6:40pm I had some young lad come up to me asking me for money for the luas. " God could you help me out I have no money for the LUAS to get home blah blah"
    I walked on and told him to get on his bike before he shoved me from behind.
    I had some shopping in bags so i wasnt gonna go back to him so I walked on and back to the car.
    I'm thinking of finding out if theres cctv evidence of this and have him for assault. I am sure there is loads of cameras around directly outside the shopping centre where the incident happened. At first it did not really bother me just some chancer hanging about but the more I think about it I feel I need to do somthing about it.

I dont wanna be watching over my back the next time I'm around there..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to follow it up.Actually your probably lucky, the norm these days seems to be either getting a bottle or screwdriver in the head for having the cheek to stand up for yourself. The Gardai won't waste their time unless you have lost several pints of blood.You probably did yourself a favour by walking away tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mondeo wrote: »
    and told him to get on his bike
    Personally I would not have made any response at all. I would just totally blank out the person. I find it the best way of dealing with these situations.

While not excusing his behaviour in any way, it's pointless inciting anyone by telling them to get on their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

There is over 15 "NEW" Garda CCTV in that area but NONE of them are connected to anything in the DataCenter, it been like with for the past ~5 Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mondeo wrote: »
    Little rant here sorry ........ he shoved me from behind.....I'm thinking of finding out if theres cctv evidence of this and have him for assault.
    The Gardaí have a special unit on standby just waiting to investigate serious crimes like this. They have the DPP on speed dial too. Go for it! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Oh don't be such a woman! He gave you a shove 'cause you told him to get lost, ok it was improper behaviour to say the least but - grow a pair and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Proxy wrote: »
    Oh don't be such a woman! He gave you a shove 'cause you told him to get lost, ok it was improper behaviour to say the least but - grow a pair and forget about it.

exactly. first nite i was in dublin my mate got mugged(his phone) in front of my eyes , and got hit in the face. These things happen . Gardi arent going to do much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You walked on and told him to get on his bike, then he pushed you.

What exactly happened?

I normally give a blank stare, and mutter 'Sorry Bro'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

zAbbo wrote: »
    You walked on and told him to get on his bike, then he pushed you.

What exactly happened?

I normally give a blank stare, and mutter 'Sorry Bro'

+1

Smart comments will get a smart answer.

Best to just say "no" and leave it at that. Works fine for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

If he had a bike would he not have cycled rather than getting the Luas? I would have pushed you as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Oh don't be such a woman!
    Surely the OP is a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sure lately anytime i've been buying tickets for the Luas at Stephens Green I always get some fella right up next to me asking for "a bit of change man".
    It's pretty annoying like but what's 60c these days.

Only 60c? stop giving them scumbags money and maybe they'll bugger off and stop annoying all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Only 60c? stop giving them scumbags money and maybe they'll bugger off and stop annoying all of us.

Correct.

The ones that give them money keep them there. If they were getting nothing they'd piss off somewhere else pretty quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

What harm are the lads who sit by the LUAS pay machines doing? If they're the few guys I've seen around a few stops they're hardly causing much hassle.

The same guys who run from machine to machine hassling people for their change?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

The same guys who run from machine to machine hassling people for their change?
    What bothers me is the two (seem to be a couple) that are always outside of Heuston, alternating between one standing by the machine and the other a few feet opposite watching, and making gestures and mouthing words to each other. It looked so dodgy one day I let the security know about it, said they'd "have a look".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Correct.

The ones that give them money keep them there. If they were getting nothing they'd piss off somewhere else pretty quick.

Damn straight dont give the tappers a penny your paying for their next heroin hit well done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Don't feel sorry for them, most of the make ~300€-400+€ per days....!?!?!?

And thats tax free on top of their dole,rent allowance and every thing else they get....
    Rob_l wrote: »
    Damn straight dont give the tappers a penny your paying for their next heroin hit well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Don't feel sorry for them, most of the make ~300€-400+€ per days....!?!?!?

And thats tax free on top of their dole,rent allowance and every thing else they get....

Really?! Most of them earn that do they? You're going to tell me that the majority of homeless people, alcoholics or drug addicts would make over €90,000 p/a from panhandling alone? Would be genuinely interested to see a link to that report/stats. By the way I just added that up in my own head so 90k may not be exactly right for 350 per day, but I did allow for them having the weekend off.

As for people giving out about being hassled for change when they go to buy a LUAS ticket at one or two stops, is it really that much hassle.
    Him: Can ya spare some change bud?
    You: Ignore/No

As for the guy who said they looked like they were up to something, and the security bloke said he'd take a look, considering some of you paint the picture that these proles are cluttering up the LUAS stops haranging good citizens for every last penny, perhaps if they had been up to something more dangerous the security guard who sees them everyday would have heard something from the other passerbys/the gardai/copped on himself? Just a thought, I'm hardly saying none of these lads have ever committed a crime.

Every city in the world has problems with homelessness, alcoholism and drug addiction. Whether or not you chuck someone 30c or not isn't going to make the problem go away despite what some of you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

What bothers me is the two (seem to be a couple) that are always outside of Heuston, alternating between one standing by the machine and the other a few feet opposite watching, and making gestures and mouthing words to each other. It looked so dodgy one day I let the security know about it, said they'd "have a look".

There was a warning sent around work a few weeks ago about a gang that operated on the Green Line at peak time - they watched where people put their wallets after buying their tickets, select easily-accessible ones (e.g. in open hand-bags), hop on the Luas, pick-pocket the wallet at the last minute before a stop and hop out just as the doors were closing.

It's a flexible business model - I'd be surprised if it didn't work on the Red line too! (That is not to be taken as a reflection on whoever these people outside Heuston are.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so you didn't wanna take him on because you had bags with you.

Now you're afraid to go back?

Stop being a fuc*ing girl dude.

Seriously the south side gets more pink by the day.

Advertisement