Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most unusual catch

Options
  • 21-03-2008 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

What is the most unusual fish/thing you have caught while fishing?
    Mine is a Crawfish(sea)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Caught a few Hermit Crabs in my time. Mainly on beaches in Wicklow. Make a great bait aswell, Caught a nice codling on a Hermit Crab Lug cocktail a few years ago. For anyone that dosent know, the hermit crabs have soft skin and have to move into a safe area to survive. They mostly use sea snails shels to set up home and look very weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Apperently Hermit crabs are good for smooth hounds aswel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

An Arctic Char .. in the River Dodder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

tennis ball and a shoe in the liffey.

pike on bread on the grand canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Ive caught a few pug nosed pike over the years, pretty weird looking pike.

• Advertisement

ha some of them are pretty weird, I havent caught but I have seen Conger eels come up to the surfac and place their talls out of the water and start rummaging in the shallow water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Saw someone catch a sea snake once. Was quite scary.

I caught a rudd on an empty hook the same day I got the pike on bread... wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

caught a long spined sea scorpion in wicklow

there is fuc9ing ugly things.

• Advertisement

7lb rainbow yesterday on the fly.....

ha.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

thats wat i thought wen i caught it:D:D:D
    frightend the sh ite out of me:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Fly fishing on the Boyne near Trim one evening. Was standing in a channel up to my chest in water and happily dry fly fishing. Next thing this huge rat swam across my fly line as I was retrieving, so me being the hero struck hard. I caught the bugger on the belly!

Then I was left with the dilema what the f**k do I do now?

I reeled him in close and watched him swim round in circles not two feet from my face while I figured out what to do. Meanwhile I had an audience of other anglers on the bank asking important questions like "what weight is he?" or "are you going to keep him or throw him back?"

Eventually took out my priest and had to keep whacking the little bugger on the head each time he came round. Eventually killed him after 3 or 4 blows.
    Never again - stick to the fish in future :D

That's hilarious. ROFL! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hedgepig

caught a long spined sea scorpion in wicklow

I've caught these before in Cork, when you have no bait left but put a little bit of limpet on a small hook you catch all kinds of small fish like these. Have caught a lot of other small rock fish but I don't know what they are. Have caught sand eels on feathers a few times. Most unusual fish I caught... maybe a dogfish with a red tag on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

cought a paint can once, in a very remote part of the river suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

used to go beer fishing when I was about 12:eek::eek::eek: down near digby in kildare , the english boys use to leave them in the canal to keep them cold during the summer and we use to come down and swipe them with a gaf and spining rod.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A bollock on the back cast:)
    coolwings wrote: »
    An Arctic Char .. in the River Dodder!
    Thats odd. Sea run do you think?

I assumed at the time (20 years ago approx) that it has been stocked in with brown trout from the Roscrea hatchery.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Caught my mates ear one time while fishing in a boat on Sheelin. There I am casting like a demon while he's squealing (Deliverance style) like the proverbial pig!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Caught my mates ear one time while fishing in a boat on Sheelin. There I am casting like a demon while he's squealing (Deliverance style) like the proverbial pig!:eek:

Which one of ye was on the banjo:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ive caught a few pug nosed pike over the years, pretty weird looking pike.

Caught one of those a couple of years ago, crazy looking things.

A friend managed to catch a mass of rotting wool with a fair few sheep bones still enclosed while casting lures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Caught an 11 year old on a bicycle once.
    About 15 years ago was going fishing with my maten the local river in galway small trout river.
    We were walking up along the road going to free line worms under the big railway bridge.My rod was set up witha single size 8 stuck in the top ring.
    Just as we were hitting the bridge a local young lad bit of abig mouth started calling us names,i ran after him as he cycled down the hill and tried to jokingly knock his hat off with the top of the rod i missed the hat and suddenly the reel started screaming and so did he i had hooked him good and proper.
    The line somehow didnt break and me running after him trying to loosen the tensions wqhile he just screamed arghhhhhhhhhh while still keeping control of the bike,50metres after i hooked him he came to astop outside the butchers shop the butcher cut the line h ewas hooke in the botom lip atrickle of blood and u could see the eye of the hook buried in his lip.
    I ahd to bring home thank god his father was not home and he ahd to get 2 dtitches in hospital my friend said it was the funniest thing hed ever seen thankfully i didnt catch his eye.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lysterja

Have heard quite a few stories about people accidently catching bats while casting flies at dusk during the summer evenings. An another story I have heard, and I cannot say that this is true, but apparently a few lads around here used to fish for crows!!! They would cast out a piece of bread into a field and hide in the hedge until a crow would come down and gobble it up!!! I've heard they put up a fair fight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

a whale in the royal canal...

a bicycle whale!!

sorry :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

A mackeral and a big one,Caught yesterday 15/4/07 by my mate Monko on Rag and Mackeral strips in Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Was plugging for pike on the canal and got caught on far side, pulling for ages when it released, flew back over to my side and caught me right in the eyelid !! treble was barbed so dad couldnt get it out, ended up in Blanch A&E !!

Was fishing in a lake in Cavan and hooked, as i thought, was a old branch. Took me a while to pull it up...fly rod, reel, even the fly was still there. Stuck a notice up on a tree with my number and some bloke rang me saying there was himself and a mate on a boat and they capsized two weeks before....lost everything, at least he was reunited with his rod.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Cormdogg wrote: »
    A mackeral and a big one,Caught yesterday 15/4/07 by my mate Monko on Rag and Mackeral strips in Greystones

Both you and that mackerel look frozen!!:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inacuckooclock

starfish,ducks,eyebrows!(no bait required for the latter!):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Cormdogg wrote: »

that mackerel does look frozen, or at least thawed out. the eyes and the colour of the skin are dead give aways.. but wait a second.. you say it was caught yesterday... what year do you live in??? 15/04/07:eek::eek: we are in 2008 now you know :D

Advertisement