Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT TOC translation assistance please?

Options
  • 21-03-2008 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I asked a couple of weeks ago about BB alternatives, and one of my concerns is maintaining my ability to continue using non-geographic phone numbers in order to avail a super cheap international calling (ie; telestunt/dialwise, etc).
    (earlier thread, if curious)

I have since delved into BT's ToC and costs, etc.

BT charges 8cent/min for calls to US (evenings).
    Dialwise costs 1.26/min (evenings).
    Major diff, since I do a LOT of calling to US.

This is the portion of BT's TOC for BB+Talk that concerns me:
    The Customer accepts and acknowledges that (i) the Access Provider shall bar access to all carrier selection and carrier access codes on telephone lines that have Single Billing Service applied and (ii) override codes are not available for use by the Customer in conjunction with the Service (i.e. a Customer cannot access another operator's network in making calls through use of a prefix). The Customer accepts that BT shall have no liability for any losses or damages howsoever arising from non provision of the Service in the event that such restrictions are not accepted by the Customer.

To my mind, that says I cannot use these non-geographic numbers in order to avail of cheap international calls and I'd better stick with €ircom :mad: with no talk packages. But maybe my interpretation is too broad? I would sincerely love to sever all visible contact w/ €ircom.

Is there a lawyer or legalese translator in the house?:confused:

Cheers,
    Ban

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Unenforceable unless they block the 1890/1800/1850 number .....and they reserve the right to do so at any time .

eircom do not block any 1990/1800/1850 numbers

HTH !

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Cheers, Sponge Bob.

I guess it means what I thought it meant, more or less.

To my mind, I am guessing that they (their computer) would pick up on 1890 99 05 05 being dialed, knowing that it is the number to use to ring a US (among others) number for a cheaper rate.

I'm a goodie-two-shoes, chicken-sh*t person who doesn't like getting caught out doing what I think someone is telling me I can't do... especially when that someone can cost me a lot of money or complicate things if I get caught.

I will reluctantly stick with the Evil Empire for my telephone. At least I know where I stand with them...

Thanks again for the response,
    Ban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are not being 'caught 'at all . They have reserved the right to simply block numbers and then tell you to feck off if you complain :)

If a nice person with BT would just PM you quietly they could test them for you to see if they work . And if they do they could use them themselves if they ring around.

I know telestunt works with BT ....or did when I last checked. Then again BT are cheap to the US, c 5c a minute to landlines.

Really innocent types complain to Comreg and actually expect Comreg to do something, now THATS daft ....mad even !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Really innocent types complain to Comreg and actually expect Comreg to do something, now THATS daft ....mad even !

Imagine ringing the Comreg call centre and interrupting those long gaming sessions, then you get some idea of how much Comreg are likely to help.
    And when they do bother to "answer" the call they seem to have some kind of psychic abilities there, they even know the answers to your questions *before* you ask. That's an amazing ability.

Advertisement