Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dare I say it...?

Options
  • 21-03-2008 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭

Probably a lot of people on here who won't back this out of principle. Rangers 1/2 to win SPL with PP seems a tad generous to me. Granted they still have to play Celtic three times but they are three points clear with a game in hand and only eleven to play. Old Firm games are usually tight affairs and Celtic would have to win two of the three to draw level. I won't be lumping on myself but thought one or two of you may be interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Fcuk the rest of them, if they'd rather go hungry than back the huns (hoons?? - kill me later) then let them be, at 1/2 you'd have to get stuck in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Collie D wrote: »
    Probably a lot of people on here who won't back this out of principle. Rangers 1/2 to win SPL with PP seems a tad generous to me. Granted they still have to play Celtic three times but they are three points clear with a game in hand and only eleven to play. Old Firm games are usually tight affairs and Celtic would have to win two of the three to draw level. I won't be lumping on myself but thought one or two of you may be interested.

It is generous indeed but sadly i could never bring myself to bet against Celtic or Manchester United no matter how good the odds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

It is generous indeed but sadly i could never bring myself to bet against Celtic or Manchester United no matter how good the odds :(

To a degree I'd agree, but I have to ask the question what have Celtic done for YOU PERSONALLY?? that means you wont bet against them??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Healio wrote: »
    To a degree I'd agree, but I have to ask the question what have Celtic done for YOU PERSONALLY?? that means you wont bet against them??

Yeah exactly, can't never understand that logic myself. Some of my biggest profit has from backing against Shels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Personally I hate Celtic but Rangers still have their finger in a lot of pies. They're good odds but not for me personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,385 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I put odds before teams.
    I have no problem backing against any team, if I believe that doing so is +EV
    Alot of people don't do this, then again most people don't understand EV

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mellor wrote: »
    Alot of people don't do this, then again most people don't understand EV

You can include me in that :) What's EV when it's at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Collie D wrote: »
    You can include me in that :) What's EV when it's at home?

EV is the expected value of something.

Basically lets say you think the 1/2 shot you posted is actually a 1/4 shot and priced wrong. You back it and it loses. This really shouldn't matter to you as the bet over time should be +EV. In the long run if you could keep placing this bet it should show a longterm profit.

That why people who are sucessful at gambling are generally very selective and bet infrequently. The market is almost always right in relation to pricing which means the chances of the bet winning are slightly lower than the price offered meaning its -EV. A sucessfull gambler spots prices which he think are wrong and bets accordingly. If he is right he should make a profit overtime.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

opr wrote: »
    EV is the expected value of something.

Basically lets say you think the 1/2 shot you posted is actually a 1/4 shot and priced wrong. You back it and it loses. This really shouldn't matter to you as the bet over time should be +EV. In the long run if you could keep placing this bet it should show a longterm profit.

That why people who are sucessful at gambling are generally very selective and bet infrequently. The market is almost always right in relation to pricing which means the chances of the bet winning are slightly lower than the price offered meaning its -EV. A sucessfull gambler spots prices which he think are wrong and bets accordingly. If he is right he should make a profit overtime.

Opr

Cheers, I understood the theory, just not the term :)

Advertisement