Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car damaged while parked-advice?

Options
  • 21-03-2008 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering does anyone have any idea of how an insurance claim works in this instance. My car was hit and dented badly today while parked, culprit fled without leaving ddetails and I did't see it happen. I have fully comp insurance. Will my insurance company cover this and will it I have to pay the excess? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Of course they will pay. Yes you will have to pay the excess - excess is always paid on any claim made.
    Depending on the damage, and your own personal insurance paarticulars - it might not be worth your while in claiming however..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

what you are better off doing in claiming off the motor insurance bereau. this is a bit more protracted but in essence you claim off your policy and your insurance company pays out to you but it does not affect your claims history or more importantly NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When you can't trace the car then the MIBI will only cover personal injuries and not property damage
    It is not always possible to claim compensation for vehicle or property damage
    under the MIBI compensation scheme. Where the offending vehicle is not
    identified there is no provision in the MIBI Agreements to recover losses for
    vehicle or property damage. Therefore, in order to establish a right to recover
    for damage to your car or other property you must be able to identify the vehicle
    which caused the damage by means of a valid registration plate.

http://www.mibi.ie/uninsured-unidentifi.html

Sorry OP, the MIBI are no good to you here.
    Seem harsh but it's the only way they can do it. Otherwise every driver without comprehensive insurance who crashed into a ditch would claim some "non-existant" driver was at fault.
    Potential for abuse is massive

Advertisement