Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standard-def 360?

• 21-03-2008 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭

just wondering whats it like? obviously its not high-def so dont suggest it. which would look better, a wii game like say mario galaxy(stunning) or say, call of duty 4 or assasins creed on the 360(also stunning in HD at least)? will be buying the 360 soon enough thanks to the price cut and gta. ive heard horror stories like in dead rising, you cant read the in-game text in standard-def tellys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

In some games, some of the smaller text can be difficult to make out but everything is certainly playable. I found Assassins Creed to be great looking on my SDTV and didn't notice much of a difference when I upgraded to HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    which would look better, a wii game like say mario galaxy(stunning) or say, call of duty 4 or assasins creed on the 360

360 games still look miles better in standard definition than any wii game.
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    ive heard horror stories like in dead rising, you cant read the in-game text in standard-def tellys.

That was a once off really, You will be at a disadvantage though, it's much easier to see distant objects on a HD screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

you cant see the leaderboard headings(kills, assists etc) in cod4 on a standard tv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah still very playable on standard-def. Difference is only really noticable when you go back to SD after playing HD for a while: washed out colours and the like. But you can still enjoy the games and graphics no problems on a regular TV (occasional text problems: Dead Rising notably), as long as you aren't one of those folk who get up in arms when Bioshock widescreen is missing 3 pixels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

ShaneU wrote: »
    360 games still look miles better in standard definition than any wii game

Not true.. a lot of wii games look better at standard definition ( through a component cable) because they were designed for this resolution than the xbox 360 does at this same resolution. Honestly PS3 looks even worse at this resolution again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

toco123 wrote: »
    Not true.. a lot of wii games look better at standard definition ( through a component cable) because they were designed for this resolution than the xbox 360 does at this same resolution. Honestly PS3 looks even worse at this resolution again!

Wrong... Wii games through a component cable = Enhanced definition (ED), and you can't put component into an SD tv...

I play both my Wii and Xbox360 on an SD telly, and while some of the wii games look great (Metroid Prime 3 + Mario Galaxy in particular) the 360 games look way better. Assassins Creed, Burnout Paradise, Army of Two, Half Live Orange box, COD4 etc... all look fantastic and way ahead of what the Wii can put out graphically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

good debate going...it sounds like i should be fairly happy with SD 360. one thing ill say is that since i got a new scart for the wii, the graphics are extremely clear for standard def. its a marked imporovement on the default scart you get. the text issue sounds worrying to me for sd 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Wrong... Wii games through a component cable = Enhanced definition (ED), and you can't put component into an SD tv...

I play both my Wii and Xbox360 on an SD telly, and while some of the wii games look great (Metroid Prime 3 + Mario Galaxy in particular) the 360 games look way better. Assassins Creed, Burnout Paradise, Army of Two, Half Live Orange box, COD4 etc... all look fantastic and way ahead of what the Wii can put out graphically.

Hey there buddy read it again: wii looks better at 480p than x360 at 480p. NOT comparing 480p to 720p/1080p cos that's obvious which one wins outOkeydoke??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

creggy wrote: »
    you cant see the leaderboard headings(kills, assists etc) in cod4 on a standard tv.

Same in Lost Planet, though Capcom have stated they're developing with HD primarily in mind, so that explains LP and Dead Rising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

pity, id like to play dead rising, looks fun and original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

IamBeowulf wrote: »
    Hey there buddy read it again: wii looks better at 480p than x360 at 480p. NOT comparing 480p to 720p/1080p cos that's obvious which one wins outOkeydoke??:)

Read his post again, he is saying that the 360 at 480p looks better than the wii looks at 480p (unless you know of some magic way of getting an SD tv to display at 720p?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had to use my PS3 with the SD cable for a couple of weeks, and Ratchet & Clank was miles ahead of Mario Galaxy imo...
    Situation should be the same for the 360, you shouldn't really be comparing a Wii to either of them, even at SD...

Advertisement