Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

already enabled broadband exchanges being upgraded??

Options
  • 21-03-2008 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

does anyone know anything about eircom upgrading their exchanges to cover a wider area for broadband?

i live outside carrickmacross and have spoken to eircom today and they said they are planning on upgrading the exchange in carrickmacross in order to be able to offer broadband to a wider area. does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Something to do with the speed upgrades between now and June?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I haven't heard of exchanges needing to be upgraded to have wider service areas.

Was this a linesman you were speaking to, or someone in a call centre?

As an aside, Carrickmacross has some of the most decrepit phone wiring I've ever seen in this country. Like everywhere else in the country, things have improved since 2005 but pairgains are still common and junction boxes in Carrick have a habit of missing covers and containing 50 year old wiring...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

irishboyuk wrote: »
    does anyone know anything about eircom upgrading their exchanges to cover a wider area for broadband?

Smells like ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bealtine wrote: »
    Smells like ADSL2+.

Indeed it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

there has been some speculation about that on this forum not long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

i was told by an eircom telesales person when i phoned up to enquire, that they could confirm that they would be installing a device at the exchange in carrickmacross in june, in order to make the broadband signal stronger and thus cover a wider area. at the moment if an exchange is enabled it only covers a radius of up to 4km.
    i have been told before by an eircom engineer that the reason why i cannot get broadband is because i am too far from the exchange and its not because of the condidtion of my phone line.
    so i am hoping that this new device will make the signal travel futher from the exchange to include my home. does anyone know more about this???

Advertisement