Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardwareversand.de Raptor

Options
  • 21-03-2008 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi. I'm thinking of raid0ing two raptors from hardwareversand.de. The 74gb ones are listed with an 8mb cache. Has anyone bought them.....do they really only have that much? The latest ones anywhere else have 16mb cache. I'd appreciate any help as this is the last piece of the puzzle for me.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=4401&agid=687

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't waste your money. Raptors aren't worth it & theyre noisy. 8Mb cache not even worth considering. You'll get much better value and nearly the same speed from the new Samsung or Seagates with the 32Mb cache. A 500Gb or 750Gb can be had for less than 100e here or here

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

if you're looking for the 16mb cache ones on the hardwareversand website they're here
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=8961&agid=995
    But as already mentioned they're noisy even sometimes when they're idle, the one thing i'll say is that the block out the noise of whinning fans and if you have two the noise difference isn't much different to having one.

You should probably go for one of the new samsungs as above and place it in a raid and performance is the exact same as two raptors or possibly even better.Having two raptors in RAID 0 doesn't give you much performance benefits especially given the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Thanks for the replies. You got me thinking now. I personally wouldn't touch Seagate.....

I might go for two small 7200rpm drives in raid0 and back up on a bigger one. Or I might get one raptor to replace the raid.

Decisions, decisions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Go for 2 x Samsung Spinpoints 500GB

Spinpoints are faster than raptors!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Only the 750gb and the 1TB Samsung 'F1' Spinpoints are faster than the raptor. However the samsungs are still beaten on seek times but are faster at every other test.

• Advertisement

I've decided to go for the single 150gb raptor for OS and programs. I currently have two old 10000rpm drives in raid0 and they're just so snappy. I figure one new raptor should equal/best them. Seek time is important for this stuff.
    The rest (and backups) can go on a Samsung 320gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

skuzzb wrote: »
    Only the 750gb and the 1TB Samsung 'F1' Spinpoints are faster than the raptor. However the samsungs are still beaten on seek times but are faster at every other test.

No. the 500GB spinpoint beats the raptor in numerous tests and since then raptors have gone obselete. Not even in the mega computer rigs for sale will you find them because there value for money is atrosious compared with the spinpoint range which have a huge capacity and are quite quick.

Don't waste you money dude on a Raptor. Im begging you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

obsolete is a bit harsh, but you're right. the only thing i will say is that the performance on those 750gb and 1TB drives slows as you begin to populate them, I'm still sticking with my noisy raptor RAID and my 2*200 RAID for storage:D

toco123 wrote: »
    No. the 500GB spinpoint beats the raptor in numerous tests and since then raptors have gone obselete. Not even in the mega computer rigs for sale will you find them because there value for money is atrosious compared with the spinpoint range which have a huge capacity and are quite quick.

Don't waste you money dude on a Raptor. Im begging you!!
    Thanks for the concern Toco. It's so hard to tell as people use hard drives for different things. Many people feel 10,000 rpm drives are just as fast as 7200rpm drives in normal use. But I've found them to be faster in my use. Have you tried them?
    The way I look at it is I don't need a whole lot of space (which has to be defragmented and maintained.....zzzzz) and I could be buying a 15000rpm SCSI drive which are much more expensive.
    You might browse through user reviews here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822136012

Advertisement