Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing and UFH

• 21-03-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Just about to start chasing for our new build. The underfloor heating is in with a dept of 75mm screed I think. Is it possible to chase the floor in the kitchen to put electrics in the Kitchen Island without damaging the UFH? The Builder says No but what use is an island without power?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Put in a bit of ducting now for the island or a bit of 3 core 2.5 for a socket in the island before the screed is poured. Builder is right you will danmage the underfloor heating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i think you're saying the screed is done its not great recessing it now with the ufh done you'd need to consult with plumber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ShortPockets

Thanks, the ufh is already in. The electrician suggests placing some sort of thin cable in conduit on the floor which will give enough for 1 double socket and then buying thick tiles so it can be grouted in. Plumber I would imagine wont want anyone near his UFH pipes in case they are too close to the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

You should talk to the plumber, if he layed the UFH in a "loop" style the pipes are usually 200mm apart. If this is the case the plumber should have a good idea of the pipe layout and you should be able to track from the open end of the loop.

But YES it is a very risky job, if you bust the pipe I think you might have to pull up all the screed and replace that entire loop of pipe. Joins under the screed are not advised as far as I know ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I got around a similar problem by 'tunnelling' under the screed through the insulation. I started by making a hole in the external wall from the outside, under a socket point and at the level of the floor insulation. I cut teeth into the end of a piece of conduit and twisted it in through the insulation to make a neat hole. I then 'carefully' chipped out a hole in the screed to find the end of the conduit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ShortPockets

There is 7.5com screed there according to the builder. So he is 'allowing' chasing only to the depth of a wire. thats seems fine to me as I dont want to redo the UFH if it goes wrong. Chasing to be done in the next 2 weeks so if things go wrong you will hear!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The electrician suggests placing some sort of thin cable in conduit on the floor which will give enough for 1 double socket and then buying thick tiles so it can be grouted in. Plumber I would imagine wont want anyone near his UFH pipes in case they are too close to the surface.

This sounds like waffle tbh. The tiler isn't going to be able to disguise the cable & conduit. Sockets should be wired in at least 2.5mmSq.
    There is 7.5com screed there according to the builder. So he is 'allowing' chasing only to the depth of a wire. thats seems fine to me as I dont want to redo the UFH if it goes wrong. Chasing to be done in the next 2 weeks so if things go wrong you will hear!

I'd nearly do it by hand or get someone who's experienced with a kangoo(spl?). What all do intend to power on the island? Find out what type of cable is being used. It will need to be sheilded from the concrete somehow also.

Advertisement