Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

saddled with debt

Options
  • 21-03-2008 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

i bought a jeep in cash this week and i know that the seller still has some outstanding debt attached to the vechile
    i wrote out a letter in which the owner stated they were responsible for any debt on the vechile
    i then signed it myself , had a friend as a witness sign it and finally the seller signed it ,we then each took a copy of the letter , this was all done in the sellers house

im just curious as to whether this document is credible were the seller to renague on his pledge to pay off the debt on the jeep or would i be better to get a solicitor to draw up an agreement

im pretty sure that the seller would be willing to sign a more official document but is this really nesscesery

i have bought vechiles before and never went to this trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Do you know the seller personally? How much debt are you talking about?

Personally I would never buy a car that had outstanding finance on it unless the seller was a close friend or family member who I trusted to pay off the finance.

If he decides to not pay the finance it'll be his word against yours that he ever said he would pay off the debt, and as the owner of the vehicle you'll be obliged to pay it.

Not a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

Do you know the seller personally? How much debt are you talking about?

Personally I would never buy a car that had outstanding finance on it unless the seller was a close friend or family member who I trusted to pay off the finance.

If he decides to not pay the finance it'll be his word against yours that he ever said he would pay off the debt, and as the owner of the vehicle you'll be obliged to pay it.

Not a good idea.

many cars are sold with debt still attached to them , my question is would getting a solicitor to draw up an agreement , cover me

btw , i sold a jeep last week and im planning to not pay off the debt immiedietly , once the bank gets paid , they wont notice any change and if they come knocking , ill just pay it off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the debt attached to the car and was not a personal loan, you cannot just sign it away.

You should have cleared any outstanding finance, and paid the seller the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Has the seller a personal loan for the jeep or finance? If it's finance, then the finance company owns the car. If it's a personal loan, it's greyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Really bad idea Gordon. You should have insisted on paying off the balance of the finance on the car you bought it, directly to the finance company, and paying the seller the difference (if any) in cash.

I'm sorry to say this but you really should have know better. It's not like this very topic isn't regularly discussed right here on boards.....

Gil

• Advertisement

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Really bad idea Gordon. You should have insisted on paying off the balance of the finance on the car you bought it, directly to the finance company, and paying the seller the difference (if any) in cash.

I'm sorry to say this but you really should have know better. It's not like this very topic isn't regularly discussed right here on boards.....

Gil

i dont mind being told that what i did was not the wisest on the face of it

what annoys me is that no one has answered my question as to whether a solicitors drawn up agreement would cover me
    if no one knows thats fair enough , ill check the solicitors forum if indeed there is one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ask a solicitor? everyone here will just be guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

it might be worth the 35 quid to check it on motorcheck.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Usual method would've been to give the seller 2 drafts. 1 made out to the finance company, for the outstanding finance figure to clear it, and the other with the balance for the seller.

Going to a solicitor is going to incurr cost, bumping up the time, effort and cash needed for buying your new motor.
    Even if you took this route, there is still nothing stopping the seller from defaulting on his/her obligations. The only use your solicitor issued agreement would then have, would be in court - which in turn means more time, effort, cost.

Not worth it, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Or €30 if you're an AA member on www.aaireland.ie/car-data-check/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

landydef wrote: »
    it might be worth the 35 quid to check it on motorcheck.ie
    How will that answer the OP's question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

it wont answer the question but it would tell the OP how much debt is owed on it
    just sayin it might be worth it for the sake of 35 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

i dont mind being told that what i did was not the wisest on the face of it

what annoys me is that no one has answered my question as to whether a solicitors drawn up agreement would cover me
    if no one knows thats fair enough , ill check the solicitors forum if indeed there is one

It depends on the kind of finance.

If the car was purchased on HP, then the HP co owns the Jeep. It was not in fact the sellers to sell.

If the car was bought using a personal loan, and the seller holds title to the vehicle, then there is no problem, the issue of the finance is between the seller and his bank.

a little more info

i bought the jeep for cash and got it cheaper for that reason , the debt on the jeep is more than i paid for it in cash , the reasons the seller was ok with this is in my opinion down to the fact that the young man who owned the jeep didnt actually finance it , it was his mother who is the wife of a large potatoe farmer , she was the one who had the final say on the price of the jeep , in fact when i 1st enquired the young owner told me he was looking 31k , i told him i had 26 in cash from a combination of cash i got from a sale of a jeep myself a few days previous and some money i had in the house along with some i withdrew from bank

he told me there wasnt a hope at that money but must have talked to his mum who saw that cash was woth more than a cheque ( it is very often to people who have large incomes ) so i got a call back in a short while and was told by the young fella to go over and see his mum and him

as regards the debt most definatly following me if its a hire purchase , this is not entirely correct , i myself havent paid off the debt on the jeep i sold a week ago , i sold it for all cash , perhaps foolishly the buyer never even asked whether there was any debt on the jeep
    i checked with my accountant and he told me that as long as the bank gets paid every month , they dont care who now owns the jeep
    there is 15k left on the jeep i sold and i have 2 yrs and 4ths left on the finance deal , the interest on this should i just pay it back over the remaining 2 yrs is 700 euro ( checked with bank ) and i can write this off against tax so untill somoene rings me up telling me it has to be wrote off or the new owner decides to sell the jeep i sold to him on again , i will just continue to pay off the loan every mth

this is what i hope the people i bought the jeep off will do aswell and the crux of my question was if the home made document i drew up isnt worth a fiddlers , would one drawn up by a solicitor be credible in a situation like this

it is my belief that unless someone defaults on there payments in a hire purchase agreement , the hire purchase company do not care who owns the jeep, they dont watch the change of ownership and follow accordingly

i do realise however that should my seller default , then i am saddled with debt and i would then even with a solicitors agreement for a while be forced to cough up even i was going to go to court with previous owner

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Well that's all clear now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

But there is a letter and a witness

both the previous owner and his mum who has been financing the jeep both signed the home made document and i and a mate of mine also signed it and both the seller and i retained copies of this signed homemade document

my only concern was that maybe this home made document would not be official enough
    i will ring my solicitor on tuesday and ask them , knowing them they will say i need a document drawn up by them , pimping for work as they always are
    il also ring my accountant again to see if debt automatically follows a new owner like some in here have suggested , as i said , he told me as long as there is no default on payment , dont matter who is paying
    if he is wrong , then the new owner of my jeep will sure be angry in a short time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

if you took out a HP agreement with a bank for the purchase of your first jeep, you are responsible for the debt. Forever. Until it is paid off, of course. The Lender doesn't care what happens to the vechile. They just want payment.
    I am not sure how the bebt would follow a car/jeep if the owner of the financed debt could default/skip on the payments and get away with it if the car/jeep was sold? That donsen't make any sence.
    I am not sure about this, it surely would depend on the type of loan or finance.
    Anyway, yes a solicitors letter will stand in court. Get it for the sake of it.
    BTW,
    don't wait for the finance company to contact you. My GF had a nasty experience in a privious relationship over joint ownership of the finance of a car. Big mistake to think the finance company will come looking for you. More often than not, they will write off the bad debt and your credit rating goes down the tubes.
    It takes a long time to sort it out with the credit bureau. It's a fu*king nightmare actually.

it is my belief that unless someone defaults on there payments in a hire purchase agreement , the hire purchase company do not care who owns the jeep, they dont watch the change of ownership and follow accordingly

The HP company OWN the vehicle until the final €0.01 is paid. No they don't care who drives it, but it is theirs. If the person you bought the jeep from stops the repayments (as he will do), then as far at the HP co is concerned they will call in their security and take away the jeep. You can then pursue the person you bought the jeep from through the courts, but I do wish you luck with that venture.

No document will be any use whether drafted by you or a solicitor unless one the signatories is an agent of the HP company.... because the are the legal owners of the vehicle!

(I should add, in response to cashmni1, the HP co can pursue the seller (e.g. the original owner who signed the HP agreement), but they also have an action against the person who buys a vehicle with HP finance outstanding. It is essentially the same action if the vehicle was stolen. The only person guaranteed to get burnt is someone who buys a vehicle with HP finance outstanding.)

It is not an official court document. I would doubt if it would ever be legally binding.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    The HP company OWN the vehicle until the final €0.01 is paid. No they don't care who drives it, but it is theirs. If the person you bought the jeep from stops the repayments (as he will do), then as far at the HP co is concerned they will call in their security and take away the jeep. You can then pursue the person you bought the jeep from through the courts, but I do wish you luck with that venture.

No document will be any use whether drafted by you or a solicitor unless one the signatories is an agent of the HP company.... because the are the legal owners of the vehicle!

i dont know if this vechile is a HP deal
    you dont know for certain that the seller will default on his payments
    also what you are saying is in direct contradiction to what my accountant has told me

are you an accountant by any chance

maidhc wrote: »

(I should add, in response to cashmni1, the HP co can pursue the seller (e.g. the original owner who signed the HP agreement), but they also have an action against the person who buys a vehicle with HP finance outstanding. It is essentially the same action if the vehicle was stolen. The only person guaranteed to get burnt is someone who buys a vehicle with HP finance outstanding.)
    There you go, questions answered.
    HP co owns the jeep. Thats how the debt follows the jeep.

i dont know if this vechile is a HP deal
    you dont know for certain that the seller will default on his payments
    also what you are saying is in direct contradiction to what my accountant has told me

are you an accountant by any chance

When I'm on boards, I am a mere boards user and don't hold myself out to have any special knowedge.

What I am saying is there is little incentive to keep up repayments for a vehicle you don't own (although I take your earlier point re tax and the fact some people are honest... although I'm not sure that scheme would survive an audit!)

As I said, if the jeep was bought by virtue of an personal/business loan, then you are in the clear. The debt rests at the feet of the person who took out the loan. Hire Purchase is what the name suggests. It consists the hiring of a vehicle with the option to purchase it outright for a small sum at the end of the period. Just like you can't sell on a car you hire from Avis or Hertz, you cannot sell on a HP vehicle without the necessary consent.

Your accountant is of course correct, once the repayments are kept up, the finance house won't be too worried... but that is the issue!

cashmni1 wrote: »
    There you go, questions answered.
    HP co owns the jeep. Thats how the debt follows the jeep.

so because some annonymous poster on boards says the hp owns the jeep , you conclude that is how it is even though my accountant says as long as the payments are made , it doesnt matter who owns it

so because some annonymous poster on boards says the hp owns the jeep , you conclude that is how it is even though my accountant says as long as the payments are made , it doesnt matter who owns it

I think you are mixing up the concept of registered owner and legal ownership. Being the registered owner of a vehicle does not mean it is yours to sell. Your accountant is correct, it is when the repayments stop the sh1t hits the fan.

Read the second paragraph here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/personal-finance/loans-and-credit/hire_purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Geez Gordon what a mess.

(Sensible thing to do imo would have been to pay off your own finance with the cash you had and continue to drive your old jeep.)

Everything will be fine until a payment is missed - then things will get very messy very quickly. Finance company will want paid or their collateral ie your "new" jeep.
    If your buyer tries to part-ex or finance your old car in any way it will come up as outstanding finance and you can expect him at your door.

Churchy wrote: »
    Geez Gordon what a mess.

(Sensible thing to do imo would have been to pay off your own finance with the cash you had and continue to drive your old jeep.)

Everything will be fine until a payment is missed - then things will get very messy very quickly. Finance company will want paid or their collateral ie your "new" jeep.
    If your buyer tries to part-ex or finance your old car in any way it will come up as outstanding finance and you can expect him at your door.

im not worried about the sale i made of a jeep not fully paid off , i trust myself to make the payments , i will make a few calls next week and also phone the buyer of my jeep to tell him if he decides to sell on the jeep i sold him last wk , that i will be happy to pay off the debt still on my own jeep

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This is a real mess.

You sold a car that you didn't own, and bought another but not off the owner, and are relying on it's former renter to keep up payments in order to keep you behind the wheel.

This'll all end in tears I tells ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

endplate wrote: »
    Well that's all clear now :D

I'll second that!!!!

• Advertisement

This is a real mess.

You sold a car that you didn't own, and bought another but not off the owner, and are relying on it's former renter to keep up payments in order to keep you behind the wheel.

This'll all end in tears I tells ya.

il pay off the debt on the jeep i sold when the banks reopen on tuesday
    i sent off the change of ownership on thursday so it should be ok

as regards the jeep i just bought , i was talking to the people who sold it to me yesterday evening

Advertisement