Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of building shed

• 21-03-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi i have a constant headache about building a garden shed, i would like information on the possible cost from groundwork to blockwork and then pitched roof. I understand your allowed 25msq, but 1) what height will i be allowed to go? 2) if i do a slab foundation which is the likely option as ground is so bad for an area of 25msq in around how many metres of concrete would do the job. 3) what is the regulations is 25msq from outside wall to the opposite outside wall or is that the floor area your allowed inside the actual shed? 4) what would the best option be to use cavity blocks or solid blocks? 5) how many blocks would be needed for a shed of 6metres x 4.16 metres of either type solid or cavity. 6) what type of roof is best pitched or flat for this type of shed.

I would appreciate if anyone with good knowledge on these topics good reply

cheers John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The floor area is exactly that, internal floor area. If I was you, I would go with the cavity wall. A pitched roof would be better as well and the finishes can match your house.

This is from the dept. of envoronment leaflet...

Do I need planning permission to build a garage/shed?
    EDA1
    [FONT=Verdana,Verdana]You can build or place a greenhouse, garage, shed, store or other similar structure, within the curtilage of your house subject to the following conditions:
    1. • No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a house.
    2. • The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.
    3. • The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any such structure shall not reduce the amount of private open space reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.
    4. • The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.
    5. • The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a building with a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case 3 metres.
    6. • The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house as such.
    In this case, the word "house" does not include a building designed for use or used as 2 or more dwellings, or a flat or apartment.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
    Source:- Schedule 2 (Part 1) Class 3.
    Planning & Development Regulations 2001.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
    [/FONT]
    With regards to prices, it's best to ring around a few local contractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tobinj6, regarding the type of block, you must say what you'll be using the shed for? Will it be storage, or do you want it to retain heat, if you were using it as a "play area", or maybe some sort of gym?

Also, what you use it for can determine what sort of roof you have. If only for storage, a cheap metal could do, but if you're using it for a gym, etc, a strong, insulated roof may be your better otpion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

A similar question that I hope is ok here giving that planning regs have previously been quoted:

If I already have a garage/shed on the site that was built as part of the original house (and is on the planning submitted), am I entitled to build a second garage without planning provided I comply with the regs stated? Or, am I allowed extend the existing garage in the same way?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If the original garage is fully detached you will need permission for another garage or you could extend the existing garage but as was mentioned the combined floor area cant exceed 25 m2

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tobinj6

the_syco wrote: »
    tobinj6, regarding the type of block, you must say what you'll be using the shed for? Will it be storage, or do you want it to retain heat, if you were using it as a "play area", or maybe some sort of gym?

Also, what you use it for can determine what sort of roof you have. If only for storage, a cheap metal could do, but if you're using it for a gym, etc, a strong, insulated roof may be your better otpion.

hi syco
    thanks for your reply yes i plan to use this shed as a gym area and a small area for the children to play. so if that is any help maybe you might be able to suggest what i use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 tobinj6

thanks smashey for your linked info it is good to know that info thanks again
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

tobinj6 wrote: »
    Hi i have a constant headache about building a garden shed, i would like information on the possible cost from groundwork to blockwork and then pitched roof. I understand your allowed 25msq, but 1) what height will i be allowed to go? 2) if i do a slab foundation which is the likely option as ground is so bad for an area of 25msq in around how many metres of concrete would do the job. 3) what is the regulations is 25msq from outside wall to the opposite outside wall or is that the floor area your allowed inside the actual shed? 4) what would the best option be to use cavity blocks or solid blocks? 5) how many blocks would be needed for a shed of 6metres x 4.16 metres of either type solid or cavity. 6) what type of roof is best pitched or flat for this type of shed.

I would appreciate if anyone with good knowledge on these topics good reply

cheers John

The others have done the planning so I will have a go at the math and meds.

Meds first: Go for a walk and drink plenty water to clear the headache.

Math
    Elsewhere on this forum u will find details of how to insulate floors roofs and walls.
    say the wall insulution and pb etc is 150mm and the block is 225mm then the overall dims for the slab if u want to do a slab will be 6 +(2(225 +150)) = 6.75m and assume the other is 4.9m

Suppose the slab is 150mm thick then the vol of concrete is 6.75 by 4.9 by 0.150m or 5 cubic meters or about 11 tonnes of ready mix so I would be getting the kids on the way before doing that job:)

IMO, I would do a suspended timber floor if using it as a gym.

The blocks:
    see http://www.roadstone.ie/Products/Blocks/Standard.htm

and lets assume that you are using the 450 ones so 10 per sq metre and u go for 9" hollows

Assume walls are 2.4m above ffl then the rough calc is
    2.4 by 2(6.75 + 4.16) or 52.3 sq meters not allowing for windows or door
    so 523 blocks for the walls up to wall plate level

Assuming an A roof, then the 2 A's will take 4.9 by (4-2.4) = 8 sqm or 80 blocks

if u go for strip foundations the blocks to FFL will be 4" solids on flat so 20 to a sq metre so say 0.45 by 2(6.75 + 4.16) = 10 sq meters or 200 4" solid blocks

You will need lintels over door and windows

In terms of price I would say 13-20k depending on finish and where u are in the country

Advertisement