Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Pond Safety

Options
  • 21-03-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anywhere that might sell/supply a good quality safety feature for a garden pond? I have a 2 year old child and a garden pond I would like to put something down to prevent any accidents.

Can anyone recommend a good product or supplier?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dalesk

Hi,

Noticed your enquiry about pond safety.
    Here is web address for an irish company fitting safety grids to ponds.

www.pondsafetysystems.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭blackbox

When my kids were small I put up a chicken-wire fence. I put it about 1 metre from the water so I could still get inside it for maintenance work.
    picture.php?pictureid=2632&albumid=509&dl=1238165341
    Not pretty, but effective (no kids lost!)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I did the exact same as Blackbox, and put chicken wire and stakes around the pond. Very effective. BTW Blackbox, our ponds look so alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Depending on the size of the pond another possible option would be to place a net like covering over the pond are and hold it down with stakes.

It wouldn't be as permanent as chicken fencing but I think it would do the job. I have seen it done in a few gardens and have noticed it in a garden center too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

joey54 wrote: »
    Depending on the size of the pond another possible option would be to place a net like covering over the pond are and hold it down with stakes.

It wouldn't be as permanent as chicken fencing but I think it would do the job. I have seen it done in a few gardens and have noticed it in a garden center too.

Isn't that intended to keep birds and cats away from the fish? If a child fell onto it I would imagine it would sink down enough for the child to become immersed?

• Advertisement

ART6 wrote: »
    Isn't that intended to keep birds and cats away from the fish? If a child fell onto it I would imagine it would sink down enough for the child to become immersed?

I agree - a net spread across the pond could do more harm than good as if you fell onto it it would be very difficult to get your feet down and head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

sorry for hijacking this thread but, blackbox can you tell me what pond liner you have used, that pond looks really nice, I have one a similar size and it need relining.
    Thanks

sorry for hijacking this thread but, blackbox can you tell me what pond liner you have used, that pond looks really nice, I have one a similar size and it need relining.
    Thanks

I started off with a good quality PVC liner but had to replace it after a few years. It split around the edges. I think the frost is the main problem because it makes it so brittle.

I replaced it several years ago with 1 mm thick butyl rubber, which was quite expensive but is still perfect with no sign of deterioration.

I bought the butyl from http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk who were good value at the time (I could not find any value in Ireland, and size was quite large). They would only deliver to UK, but I got it sent to a friend in Northern Ireland.

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Thanks for that.

Advertisement