Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shocks question

Options
  • 21-03-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

had the nct this mornin, was happy enough to get out of it with only 1 fail on a dodgy rear shock....

on the report it goes:

Suspension Test........Nearside..........Offside.........Imbalance
    Rear Axle....................25Mm..............42Mm............40%

pardon the ignorance, but which one is the dodgy one??? either yerman never said it to me or i wasn't listening...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The lower value one is gone. However the car failed bescause of the imbalance between both sides. You should replace both sides to ensure that the is a better chance of having both sides the same or close values.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i brought 2 rear shocks out to my mechanic about 6 months ago, and asked him to fit them for me. He only did one and said the other was fine, i took his word for it. So one shock is only about 6 months old, i'll just get him to do the other. That should sort the imbalance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You can actually pass the NCT with two worn out shocks, as long as they are equally worn out!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I'd change mechanic. Anyone that replaces just one shock is a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

+1 ^^

Most mechanics in my experience will tell you to replace both shock absorbers on the same axel if one is dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

yeah i always thought u replaced stuff like that in pairs....just took his word for it on the day..

i'll give him the benifit of the doubt on this one, have never had another reason to fault him....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can actually pass the NCT with two worn out shocks, as long as they are equally worn out!!:D

That would explain why I've seen a fair few cars hopping and bouncing along country roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

How much would a shock absorber cost? Are there ones specific to each car, or can you just buy off the shelf ones like you can buy say indicator lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

E92 wrote: »
    How much would a shock absorber cost? Are there ones specific to each car, or can you just buy off the shelf ones like you can buy say indicator lights?

Specific for each car. And can vary quite a bit from car to car. Even can vary from front shock to back shocks. When I replaced my 4, either front or back was twice the price of the other. I can't remember which.

Front shocks (monroe) for an almera are €86 +vat retail each.

Advertisement