Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

some small driving advise

Options
  • 21-03-2008 1:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

had a look around and couldn't find the answer to this.

i have been given some bits of contradicting information.

firstly: when doing a turn-about. you indicate to move, once yyou get across the road you should stop, handbreak and cancel indicator? then reverse, stop and handbreak then move off, indicate to pull in and stop?

secondly: while reversing around corners, you indicate to pull in. start reversing (do i need the indicator here?) both hands on steering wheel and reverse while checking mirrors and this is the bit that confused me. i was told you should stop at the corner and check all around before continueing? but another instructor told me to just continue? obviously then just continue until told to stop reversing...then when told, stop and handbreak?

thanks folks :) much appreciated

Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

splinter wrote: »
    had a look around and couldn't find the answer to this.

i have been given some bits of contradicting information.

firstly: when doing a turn-about. you indicate to move, once yyou get across the road you should stop, handbreak and cancel indicator? then reverse, stop and handbreak then move off, indicate to pull in and stop?

secondly: while reversing around corners, you indicate to pull in. start reversing (do i need the indicator here?) both hands on steering wheel and reverse while checking mirrors and this is the bit that confused me. i was told you should stop at the corner and check all around before continueing? but another instructor told me to just continue? obviously then just continue until told to stop reversing...then when told, stop and handbreak?

thanks folks :) much appreciated

Mark

Hi Mark.
    Turnabout. No need for handbrake. It is a single manouever. Indicate when moving forward. Unless asked to park you should move on.

Reversing.
    No need for indicator in reversing. Both hands on wheel. Always a good idea to pause once during the manouever - it shows you are taking proper care, but still making progress - and at the point of the corner is a good place to pause. During my test an icecream van pulled in behind me just before the apex of the corner! Handbrake if you are stopped at the kerb. Often this is when they'll test hand signals, so you need to have nothing else to mind. Lastly, they'll often ask you to move off and left around the corner you reversed - remember to signal right for moving off and left for the corner.

and good luck if you're taking the test soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nikster

Just another point to add to the good reply you already got- when reversing around a corner, don't just use your mirrors, make sure to look EVERYWHERE. Don't forget that while you are reversing you need to also watch both sides of the road you are reversing from. Anything could come from everywhere. Obviously though, all the mirrors are the most inportant bit.
    Good luck

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

thanks for the great help :) test is next thursday in finglas SGS

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hi Mark.
    Turnabout. No need for handbrake. It is a single manouever. Indicate when moving forward. Unless asked to park you should move on.

Hi Mark,

I'd definitely use the hand-brake if circumstances dictate, e.g. if there's quite a camber on the road. It's very easy to roll a bit (in the direction of pedestrians too! :eek:) when you take your foot off the footbrake!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Hi Mark,

I'd definitely use the hand-brake if circumstances dictate, e.g. if there's quite a camber on the road. It's very easy to roll a bit (in the direction of pedestrians too! :eek:) when you take your foot off the footbrake!

Good luck!

Yeah the thing is if you let the car roll you'll be marked on it cause you obviously have two brakes in the car, so use common sense at the time, if the footbrake will suffice then go with that, bogey road with ropey camber, use the handbrake.

With the reversing, reverse slowly so as to give yourself loads of time to look all around and adjust your steering if necessary, its not a race to get around the corner as quick as you can.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement