Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wise words from a Wise Man

Options
  • 21-03-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I received this from Rupert Cobb, our musical friend from London. I confess to having fallen for this once years ago, it ain't gonna happen again!

http://www.myspace.com/logictoolbox

"I've had two different artists loose there albums this week because they wont take backing up seriously and think (or rather thought) I was a nerd for nagging them. I had a drive die this week too tis the week of the click of death.
    I'm only mentioning it as a word to the wise. The moon is in the right place to loose stuff so is everyone backed up out there?
    Cheers Rupe"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    "I've had two different artists loose there albums this week because they wont take backing up seriously and think (or rather thought) I was a nerd for nagging them. I had a drive die this week too tis the week of the click of death.
    I'm only mentioning it as a word to the wise. The moon is in the right place to loose stuff so is everyone backed up out there?
    Cheers Rupe"

In the dying days of my college course, I was frantically burning my work from studio machines onto DVD. In my haste I deleted the wrong folder and emptied the trash without thinking, and lost 4 months worth of Pro Tools project files just like that. Managed to recover some of them but not all. A valuable lesson learned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Had a scare like that a month ago. The blue screen of death appeared and I just thought oh ****, thats it, over 5 years of work gone. Luckily enough my bro was able to fix the problem and my music is safe but I've backed it up since then. You never think its going to happen until it does and then there is no recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Had a scare like that a month ago. The blue screen of death appeared and I just thought oh ****, thats it, over 5 years of work gone. Luckily enough my bro was able to fix the problem and my music is safe but I've backed it up since then. You never think its going to happen until it does and then there is no recourse.

Back all your beef onto DVD, 2 external hard drives, and your system drive to be sure, at least thats what I do! Only lost a clients work once and somehow managed to waffle may way out of the situation and re-record his tune another day! Turned out to be better on the 2nd attempt BUT it is shocking having to tell the chef eh 'I lost your work'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Just did a back up of a project I'm doing today, 60gig of work. Copies onto a seperate hard drive and taken home by the client.

I always us this to back up onto other drives as I'm working. This application lets you just back up the changes since the last backup.

http://homepage.mac.com/sweetcocoa/imsafe/

Advertisement