Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SDI vs TDI

Options
  • 21-03-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

I've just been talking to a friend of mine and he told me that an SDI Octavia is LESS economical that a TDI.
    I would've thought the turbo would use more fuel ?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The trubo is way better. The SDI is just an N/A desial, worst engine after a steam engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=28243

some specs, car should get around 50mpg for TDI. Id def go for the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SDI being rubbish was covered already this month:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055252102&highlight=SDI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Plug wrote: »
    The trubo is way better. The SDI is just an N/A desial, worst engine after a steam engine.

What rubbish. A steam engine is infinitely better than an SDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'd imagine the TDi would be more economical in day-to-day use as you'd have to continuouly floor the SDI to get any response at all from it...

You'd want to be a right tight-assed miser to consider the SDI even if it was a little more economical than the TDI. I presume your question was purely for general-interest purposes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SDI is grand if you want reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

alias no.9 wrote: »
    What rubbish. A steam engine is infinitely better than an SDI.
    Sorry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

pburns wrote: »
    I'd imagine the TDi would be more economical in day-to-day use as you'd have to continuouly floor the SDI to get any response at all from it...

You'd want to be a right tight-assed miser to consider the SDI even if it was a little more economical than the TDI. I presume your question was purely for general-interest purposes...

Its not general-interest...
    I'm looking at this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Octavia/1.9-SDI/953272/

and wondering if its the right way to go.

Current driving a 99 Clio and getting 400 miles to a tank... roughly €50 to fill it.
    I was looking at upgrading to a laguna... this one :
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=973557&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Renault%20Laguna%2C%20Year%3A%202002%2C%20Dealer%3A%20Car%20Nation%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=301739&CFTOKEN=51419804

Then after considering the amount of mileage I do I thought I'd be better off getting a diesel. So I spend yesterday afternoon searching through carzone.ie with a 5K budget and I came up with that Octavia but now I'm not sure about it cause its an SDI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I know of a 2000 octavia 1.9tdi for sale in Bray, he said he would let it go for just over €4000. Had a quick look at it, looks clean, think it has 100,000 miles on the clock.

• Advertisement

skibum wrote: »
    I know of a 2000 octavia 1.9tdi for sale in Bray, he said he would let it go for just over €4000. Had a quick look at it, looks clean, think it has 100,000 miles on the clock.

do you have a link where I could look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

The guy works in German Autoparts in Bray, number is 286 0155
    Don't know his name, got talking to him while picking up some parts during the week. Car dosn't look like it has been abused, totally standard.

I'm also looking at this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Toledo/TDI-SIGNUM/947561/
    and any feedback would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

have a golf TDI 100bhp myself and love it. i remember the turbo went in it when i got it first and it would have been the same as an SDI! i nearly killed myself overtaking a car!

go for a TDI anyways. i also think an Octavia would be easier to resell than a SEAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

thekooman wrote: »
    have a golf TDI 100bhp myself and love it. i remember the turbo went in it when i got it first and it would have been the same as an SDI! i nearly killed myself overtaking a car!

No, not true... it would be much worse, as the ECU expects the turbo to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Biro wrote: »
    No, not true... it would be much worse, as the ECU expects the turbo to be there.

well, it was very similar to my dad's 1.7 diesel Opel Astra :)

just got back from test driving the Octavia SDI and OMG it's dead!! Lovely car!!! comfortable, clean but just lacks that bit of poke. When I got home my friend let me drive his brothers 90bhp passat TDI and the difference was HUGE! Then he let me drive his 130bhp A4 and I think I fell in love. Such a nice car. Pity I can't afford it though.
    Might go have a look at the 110Bhp Seat Toledo....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I would've thought the turbo would use more fuel ?

*giggles*

Next you'll be telling us that diesel cars suffer from turbo lag.

klaus23 wrote: »
    *giggles*

Next you'll be telling us that diesel cars suffer from turbo lag.

helpful comment there klaus... Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement

thanks,

I did look at the Bora but couldn't find one with decent mileage under €5K.
    Don't like the look of the mondeo or the 626.
    But thanks for the comment.

Advertisement