Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban overtly "political" sigs???

Options
  • 21-03-2008 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen.

I was wondering if overtly political sigs (example) should be allowed. The reason I mention this is that such sigs seem to cause argument and agrivation, and can derail otherwise useful threads. I would also wonder about the accuracy and relevance of the information in the sig.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to have a sig like that other than for "advertising" or promotional/campaining purposes ... is this allowed?

Anyway, not a big issue, just wondering about this is all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if you ban political sigs you might as well ban all sigs as almost all of them are used as some form of advertising or another. i don't see a problem with political sigs anyhow, better to be open about your affiliations on forums like the politics ones. and if you find them offensive somehow turn them off i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I see no problem with the signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mines political. I havent heard a bad thing about it. I dont think I've been charged with wanting to defribilate a complete muppet either, at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Life is political. You'd end up with no sigs, posts or opinions if carried through to it's logical conclusion.

Ban all opinions that disagree with mine?

Maybe :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Personally I think all political sigs should be banned and I have said this publicly before, but since they are allowed...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"Everything's political" - Ms Anansie.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

DeVore wrote: »
    "Everything's political" - Ms Anansie.

Pff. That's "Skin" to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ban discussion in threads, in politics, of people's sigs and let people turn off sigs if they don't automatically stop reading once they see the political banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I realise it would be difficult to ban "political" sigs, and even more difficult to draw a line as to what to allow/disallow. So I see the practical problems this would cause on boards.

Maybe sigs relating to specific political parties should be banned?

The reason I made the original suggestion was because the poster in my example frequents the motors forum, and a good deal of his participation involves either defending his sig or making political points against someone else.

I suppose the problem is not the actual sig ... its the way the sig leads to otherwise useful threads being dragged off topic (even tho the motors moderators do an excellent job trying to prevent this happening).

Anyway, as I said this is not a biggie ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I suppose the problem is not the actual sig ... its the way the sig leads to otherwise useful threads being dragged off topic (even tho the motors moderators do an excellent job trying to prevent this happening).

Sounds like an issue that the Report Post function is designed to deal with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Overheal wrote: »
    Mines political. I havent heard a bad thing about it. I dont think I've been charged with wanting to defribilate a complete muppet either, at that.

Actually ive never understood your sig and have been afraid to ask! Im not being smart, but i figured it was a slur on bush but i cant work it out! :o

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Maybe sigs relating to specific political parties should be banned?
    I would object most strenuously to that. Allow none or allow all.
    Who is to decide what legal political parties should be supressed?
    This is a free country after all.
    Yes, I accept fully that there are no freedoms enshrined in the site other than those that the Admins allow at their whim but the day the site starts picking who is politically acceptable and who is not... well it would be the start of a slippery slope.

It would be better all around to ban all political sigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

We should ban religion too. At least any bad religion that isn't mine. We could have a big book bonfire while were at it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

And rock and roll too. Its the music of the devil ...

/shakes fist.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Evil Phil wrote: »
    And rock and roll too. Its the music of the devil ...

/shakes fist.
    Don't forget violent films and video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its a free country, If people want to show their support for one party or another, whats the problem?
    Honestly am a bit flabbergasted that someone would have a problem with it!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Just ban signatures, easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

There is a ban on political ads on the TV/Radio. It wouldn't be that unusual to remove political sigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Hennessy

Sangre wrote: »
    There is a ban on political ads on the TV/Radio. It wouldn't be that unusual to remove political sigs.

It probably would as the media and law are different.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't see a problem with political signatures per se. If I saw a discussion going off on a tangent about someone's sig, infractions and bans would be handed out.

And that's in Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hennessy wrote: »
    It probably would as the media and law are different.
    I'm really not sure what you're trying to say.

My point was that we don't have a culture of political ads so its not like we expect to have or see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Sangre wrote: »
    yah but tv ads are reviewed and people are on big wages to review ads in the Broadcasting commission... how do you control dozens of thousands of sigs? without being biased?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So the suggestion here is that, instead of people using the report post option and moderators infracting/banning people who persistently drag threads off-topic to start arguments about signatures, political sigs should be banned?

Given how argumentative and wheedling some people can get when complaining about things like being banned from the Politics forum, all I can see that doing is making a whole load of extra work for the SIGPO folk and possibly generating a few more threads along the lines of "But saying that Bertie Ahern is a big fibber isn't a political statement, so why was my sig removed?!".

regi wrote: »
    Just ban signatures, easy.

Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

SF, FF, FG, UDP, GP etcetera are ok in my book.
    If you can vote for them in a election you can have a sig.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

IMHO if someone has a problem with someone else's sig and tackles them on a thread about it it should be dealt with the same as any other off-topic posts.

I don't think it's an issue about discussion of the content of the sig on thread, I think it's more to do with allowing free advertising to political parties. We don't allow commercial enterprises to use sigs as promotional platforms why should we allow political parties to push their agendas for free. If they want to advertise themselves let them buy a banner ad like anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

It wouldnt bother me that there are political sigs.

Actually it would help as if they had FF affiliation, for example, i would know to ignore everthig they say and everything they do (amd check my wallet is still present lol :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Marksie wrote: »
    It wouldnt bother me that there are political sigs.

Actually it would help as if they had FF affiliation, for example, i would know to ignore everthig they say and everything they do (amd check my wallet is still present lol :D)

so you'd ignore a FF supporter who had a personal issue? pretty bad form imo :p

Advertisement