Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban overtly "political" sigs???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Jesus, I'm away from boards for a couple of days, and suddenly people think we're in Stalinist Russia?? :confused:

Turn off sigs if they bother you that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

so you'd ignore a FF supporter who had a personal issue? pretty bad form imo :p

sure he would be after a digout

but cleanings and genepool come to mind lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hagar wrote: »
    I don't think it's an issue about discussion of the content of the sig on thread, I think it's more to do with allowing free advertising to political parties. We don't allow commercial enterprises to use sigs as promotional platforms why should we allow political parties to push their agendas for free. If they want to advertise themselves let them buy a banner ad like anyone else.

Good point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I don't think it's an issue about discussion of the content of the sig on thread, I think it's more to do with allowing free advertising to political parties. We don't allow commercial enterprises to use sigs as promotional platforms why should we allow political parties to push their agendas for free. If they want to advertise themselves let them buy a banner ad like anyone else.

Agreed.. its still advertising.

They should well be well able to afford a few banners and the way certain politcal parties have gone these days, a few hand outs to help wouldnt go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Political Sigs relating to Bertie are banned in the Mahon Tribunal thread in Politics but allowed in all other threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I am the poster Gandalf has a problem with. The problem with his argument is that many threads in Motos end up attacking VRT which is a political matter. If I wish to defend my party's record on that or put forward views tha show how other people are screwed elsewhere why shouldn't I be allowed. Gandalf and others have calimed that the Irish are being screwed with VRT, I disagree and show other people being screwed other ways.

I don't go looking for trouble, but I won't back down from an argument just because some anonymous poster with a penchant for abusing the government takes issue with the fact I'm overtly affiliated with the party that has won every general election since 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm overtly affiliated with the party that has won every general election since 1987.

For God's sake man, grow up. The rest of us in the Motors forum are fed up with your posts. Gandalf's right, political sigs have no place outside the political forums.

Besides you just got banned from Motors for your nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I am the poster Gandalf has a problem with. The problem with his argument is that many threads in Motos end up attacking VRT which is a political matter. If I wish to defend my party's record on that or put forward views tha show how other people are screwed elsewhere why shouldn't I be allowed. Gandalf and others have calimed that the Irish are being screwed with VRT, I disagree and show other people being screwed other ways.

I don't go looking for trouble, but I won't back down from an argument just because some anonymous poster with a penchant for abusing the government takes issue with the fact I'm overtly affiliated with the party that has won every general election since 1987.

You have just been banned from motors for consistently dragging threads off topic. Thread here.

unkel stated "You started it (not the first time) and you were warned. Now you are banned." So you do start things and imho you constantly go into motors looking for a fight.

You are a muppet and you deserved to be banned.

You are also very ignorant for an educated guy, and you come accross as not really having a clue about anything you are talking about. An example being your assertion that "Gandalf and others have calimed that the Irish are being screwed with VRT". Could you show us where I claimed anything about VRT please? Or is this yet another example of your ignorance and stupidity.

And the name is Gandalf23 ... get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Feels more like the Thunderdome in Feedback today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

this is a really interesting debate.
    i can see where Gandalf23 and the others are coming from as well as those who disagree.
    the problem (as i'd see it) is that if you post in loads of forums, having to delete your sig repeatedly would be fairly ridiculous.
    then again it is true that some sigs could just stir up crap in certain forums.
    that said, would it be fair to stop a user with a christian sig posting in the islam/buddhist/whatever forum? or indeed vice-versa.
    taking the religious element as an example (apologies,but its an easy one) i've seen sigs in the christian forum that might pi$$ off christians.
    its difficult to see where the line can be drawn...
    just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

FF supporter is yes man shocker.

The issue here is not with the sig, more that the poster can (rather, could) not turn off the spin doctor mode in an inappropriate forum (in this case, one discussing Motoring, and Motoring issues).

We had an anti FFer in here before, he got sitebanned for his trouble. He lived at home with his mammy and rattled on about his share portfolio too...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

At the bottom of each quickpost is a checkbox "Show your signature"...

And if you uncheck it: ah WOW look at me!

I dont see a problem with political signatures. There is a difference between commercial and political advertising.

In the United States ("Oh god, he went there!") theres thousands of volunteers going around the country freely supporting their candidate or political party. In fact they often buy the right to do that, through bumper stickers and the like. Some make home-made posters or flyers.

I don't see how a political signature is any different. Not everyone is going to agree with your bumper sticker but that doesnt make it illegal.

often they just go out and get their own bumper stickers and then you have a cold-bumper-war on your hands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont see a problem with political signatures. There is a difference between commercial and political advertising.
    No, pimping is pimping is pimping.
    In the United States...they often buy the right to do that, through bumper stickers and the like.
    Let the political parties or their supporters buy banner ads then. Simple really.

And you sit there with your religious signature. Quit pimping jesus.

Their political supporters are using free space like they would anywhere else (like a home made poster or flyer) so unless boards.ie wants to sell signature space as adspace, deal with it.

Since I have put red white and blue in my sig ive seen a sharp decline in the amount of racist remarks i have to read through in AH. Having to explain my position every week was a pain in the ass.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    You have just been banned from motors for consistently dragging threads off topic. Thread here.

unkel stated "You started it (not the first time) and you were warned. Now you are banned." So you do start things and imho you constantly go into motors looking for a fight.

You are a muppet and you deserved to be banned.

You are also very ignorant for an educated guy, and you come accross as not really having a clue about anything you are talking about. An example being your assertion that "Gandalf and others have calimed that the Irish are being screwed with VRT". Could you show us where I claimed anything about VRT please? Or is this yet another example of your ignorance and stupidity.

And the name is Gandalf23 ... get it right.

What utter biased drivel you spout...just like me aren't you:p:p

And you sit there with your religious signature. Quit pimping jesus.
    Your ignorance of Irish symbolism is staggering. Unless of course you're a foreigner in which case accept my apologies.
    That is an Easter Lily, a remembrance of the 1916 Easter Rising.
    Nothing to do with religion at all.

Apoplogy accepted I've never seen it before tbh.

So its political. Even better. Quit pimping your political ideals :p

You can't take the Low Road and claim the High Horse ;)

There is a difference between remembering an important national historical event and pimping for votes in the next election.
    I trust you can see the distinction.

I can but still; everyone is free at the moment to make such sigs. If someone wants to post a fiana fail sig and you support sinn fein, get a sinn fein sig.

What utter biased drivel you spout...just like me aren't you:p:p

I hope to God in Heaven above I'm NOTHING like you!!!

What I have said about you is the unbiased truth. You are the one unable to back up your assertions.

To recap;
    1. You are banned from the motors forum for being a total muppet. Fact.
    2. You have been unable to answer and/or support any of the questions I have asked you about your assertions. Fact.
    3. You are obviously ignorant about economics in general, and tax law in particular. Fact (I'm a Chartered Accountant btw so I know what I'm talking about).
    4. You come accross as a biased fool who has been brainwashed by the FF party machine to the extent that you cant see the bleedin' obvious anymore. Fact.
    5. You live with your mammy and have a share portfolio. Fact.

Look 99er, to be honest you totally deserved your motors ban ... long overdue in my opinion. I would bet the farm that you'll be banned again (siteban anyone???) because of your complete stupidity and utter inability to see reality.

You should be very ashamed of the way you are representing FF here (and I say that as someone who voted FF & Green in the last election).

Cop the hell on ... open your eyes to REALITY, and lose the stupid inaccurate sig ... it'll only keep getting you into trouble, and showing you up for the biased ignorant blinkered brainwashed fool that you seem to be.

• Advertisement

Wou its starting to look like an interview on FOX News in here =]

Your ignorance of Irish symbolism is staggering. Unless of course you're a foreigner in which case accept my apologies.
    That is an Easter Lily, a remembrance of the 1916 Easter Rising.
    Nothing to do with religion at all.

I've been curious about your signature for a few days, Hagar. I didn't have a clue about it.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I hope to God in Heaven above I'm NOTHING like you!!!

What I have said about you is the unbiased truth. You are the one unable to back up your assertions.

To recap;
    1. You are banned from the motors forum for being a total muppet. Fact.
    2. You have been unable to answer and/or support any of the questions I have asked you about your assertions. Fact.
    3. You are obviously ignorant about economics in general, and tax law in particular. Fact (I'm a Chartered Accountant btw so I know what I'm talking about).
    4. You come accross as a biased fool who has been brainwashed by the FF party machine to the extent that you cant see the bleedin' obvious anymore. Fact.
    5. You live with your mammy and have a share portfolio. Fact.

Look 99er, to be honest you totally deserved your motors ban ... long overdue in my opinion. I would bet the farm that you'll be banned again (siteban anyone???) because of your complete stupidity and utter inability to see reality.

You should be very ashamed of the way you are representing FF here (and I say that as someone who voted FF & Green in the last election).

Cop the hell on ... open your eyes to REALITY, and lose the stupid inaccurate sig ... it'll only keep getting you into trouble, and showing you up for the biased ignorant blinkered brainwashed fool that you seem to be.

If you were a chartered accountant, you would know that the sig is in fact...correct...do the maths. Based on last weeks £stg price admittedly, but based on FACT

Share portfolio....I have a few hundred quid knocked into shares that are currently teetering on worthless...hardly a portfolio.

I'm 21...most people my age live with their mammy

You come across as the kind of person who would argue about the sky being blue and the earth being round in a pub. Really, it is not necessary to go around hurling personal abuse on internet fora. If you took life a little less seriously then you might put off that inevitible heart attack that appears to be coming on from the seething posts from you in recent times.

I EXPRESS OPINIONS HERE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO READ, BUT I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEM.

You'd fit right in in China right now!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We will make individual decisions on what is and isnt political party pimpage.
    During the last election we cut sigs we felt were OTT. Its a question of balance...

DeV.

I EXPRESS OPINIONS HERE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO READ, BUT I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEM.

OK, firstly you DO NOT have any "rights" here ... this is a privately owned and run forum.
    You'd fit right in in China right now!!

How exactly? Are you saying I'm short, yellow, and have squinty eyes?
    You come across as the kind of person who would argue about the sky being blue and the earth being round in a pub.

I'm aware that the sky is blue and the earth is round ... so no point arguing about that. Altho if someone like Seamas Brennan or the bould Willie O'Dea said so, I'd begin to doubt it ;)

To be totally honest 99er, I have no idea what your agenda here is. Do you think that people will read your sig and suddenly think "oh my God, hes right!!! We are better off than the Brits in 2 or 3 small areas! I'm so totally happy with this Government I think I'm getting an erection!!!". Do you think people will read your sig and suddenly forget about the mess this country is currently in, and the "apparent" corruption, perjury, and tax evasion of some high profile FF members of Government? It just pisses people when you highlight certain figures favourable to FF, while ignoring other more important things like the state of our roads/broadband/schools/hospitals which show FF in a less favourable light.

My advice to you is to lose the sig, and try to stop fighting all your various wars in "motors". Most people go to "motors" to talk about cars not to get into a political catfight.

I'm sure you have some interesting and useful things to say 99er ... time to lose the FF blinkers and start saying them.

Advertisement