Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

179.99 cents/litre unleaded!

Options
  • 21-03-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I was driving back to Kerry today for Easter and stopped at a station along the quays in Dublin (close to Hueston Station) which used to be a Statoil station but is now taken over by another crowd. I used to stop at this station in the past without batting an eyelid and filled up my car and away I went. Today I started to fill up the tank without actually checking the price of unleaded they were selling and only realised after about 40 quid in the tank that they were charging 179.99 per litre. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw this, upon leaving dublin and passing other stations I noticed the average to be around the 122 cents fugure in most other stations. Anyone with experience of this place? How can they charge so much? Definately won't be going back there again...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

That station has been famous for a while, for exactly this reason. The Sunday Business Post called it the most expensive petrol station in the country.

There's also been a thread about it here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

No other petrol station in the city centre so they charge a fortune. They also get tourists coming through who will pay it.

If you have a statoil fuel card you should get the flat rate.

It is total rip off i agree. You learned that lesson the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Its a joke this kind of retailing is permitted on this soil.
    The government have regulators for this, that and the other ,- OVER-regulating away from above on high.
    But then you have this kind of rip off piss taking going on.....Sometimes I want to emigrate i tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

thats where all the ambulances and garda cars from inner dublin have there fuel accounts, i wonder do they get the fuel card flat rate???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That place has been mad expensive for 3 or 4 years.. I hope it's not only now that you've noticed..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Its a joke this kind of retailing is permitted on this soil.
    The government have regulators for this, that and the other ,- OVER-regulating away from above on high.
    But then you have this kind of rip off piss taking going on.....Sometimes I want to emigrate i tell ya.

Anyone who thinks a Dublin city centre petrol stations prime quay-side rent could be paid if they maintain a 'competitive' price on their fuel is the pisstaker....

Sorry everyone, but what do you expect? Even if you ended up stuck and you had to throw a few litres in the tank, what are you going to do - Fill it?

Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah a fiver should last you long enough till you get to the next one I'd say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks a Dublin city centre petrol stations prime quay-side rent could be paid if they maintain a 'competitive' price on their fuel is the pisstaker....

Sorry everyone, but what do you expect? Even if you ended up stuck and you had to throw a few litres in the tank, what are you going to do - Fill it?

Come off it.

I think Gil_dub that anything I say from here on in, you'll be keen to take me to task on. Move on i say.................. cos I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That place probably lives off tourists, people who don't look at the prices on the big display sign on the way in or simply don't shop around for their fuel. I've no sympathy for the latter two to be honest.

I would rather push my car to the next garage on principal than line their pockets.

BTW the Gardai and Emergancy Services don't buy off them at the forecourt price afaik but it does feel reassuring that Bertie and Co really do go out of their way to spend tax payers money wisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The volumes of petrol sold at the Statoil station have fallen since it increased its prices, according to Topaz.

However, Farrington is believed to make more money now from the station because of the massive markup he charges.

That is from the link in Post 2. I realise it's not Statoil now
    So even thought they don't sell less fuel at forecourt prices, they still make more.
    Increasing the profit sounds like good business sense to me.

What do you want to regulate this for? The price is clearly displayed so do people need protection from their own stupidity?
    The business is making money, fair play to the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending on what you drive, even if on orange you should be able to limp the car to the petrol station in Mount Brown/James's Street from there. Which is the only other station left near the city centre now that the one at Connolly is closed...

landydef wrote: »
    thats where all the ambulances and garda cars from inner dublin have there fuel accounts, i wonder do they get the fuel card flat rate???

Dont know about the ambulance service but the Garda get a country wide set rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't the Gardai just use a Topaz card, like quite a lot of businesses and even normal punters (I've one...)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

For those who didn't bother reading the SBP article quoted above:
    Customers, including Garda vehicles and ambulances, who use their cards at the station, are charged at the average price of about €1.18 a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote: »
    I've no sympathy for the latter two to be honest.

That maybe so but its a fact of life that costs are higher there. Do you really expect them to sell at a loss? No sure where their break even point is but its certainly higher than other garages. Nothing wrong with charging more when costs are more, they arent a charity.

Stekelly wrote: »
    That maybe so but its a fact of life that costs are higher there. Do you really expect them to sell at a loss? No sure where their break even point is but its certainly higher than other garages. Nothing wrong with charging more when costs are more, they arent a charity.

If that is the case then why should the consumer pay for their decision to set up shop at that location?

If that is the case then why should the consumer pay for their decision to set up shop at that location?

Convenience. Just like all the spars , centras etc. Your paying because they open late and are in handy locations.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Convenience. Just like all the spars , centras etc. Your paying because they open late and are in handy locations.

Yep. I have no sympathy for anyone for chooses to pay those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

How can they charge so much?

Their forecourt, their pumps, their petrol.

They have every right to charge what they like. You have the right and choice as a consumer to shop elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yep. I have no sympathy for anyone for chooses to pay those prices.

No, but it is their choice to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Caveat Emptor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

you wont believe it but I was passing this place today and.... petrol 124c odd, diesel 134c odd. Normal prices!

TheBazman wrote: »
    you wont believe it but I was passing this place today and.... petrol 124c odd, diesel 134c odd. Normal prices!

They must be changing on an hourly basis because someone txt newstalk at about half 4 to ay it was 179c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I nearly caused an accident last night when I passed this place. Petrol was 124.9 and Diesel 135.9. Has Jesus come again while I've been on holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Afaik the place has changed hands in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, it's been fairly cheap for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes, the station has changed hands and now has "normal" prices.

I think we can put this old thread to bed now.

Closed ...objections on a postcard, please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement