Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreimire

Options
  • 21-03-2008 6:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

is dreimire worth getting for higher level irish. also is there any other good german magazines out there like dreimire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

id say its definately worth getting. You get original essays from it , vocab and words which will help you in the exam and most of the stuff is topical and in the media. Also , ( it might just be a coincidence), but often the essay which appears in the dreimire in November or Octobers edition , will be one which you can use the exam in June.

Our teacher used to say that the Exam Papers were normally set in Oct or November and anything topical around that time could appear on the exam paper. It would also be in dreimire as its topical.

Also the exam and career guides can have good essays and articles in them also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Dréimire is really worthwhile, and I highly recommend it. There is something like it for German, but it's nowhere near as good, and I can't remember what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Excellent magazine series. Our teacher started us getting them at the start of this year (5th year) cos she saw that the tape and essays were far more topical and more realistically hard than the ones in our book...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

yeah it's worth getting for the essays. the essays in our textbook were rubbish, but those ones were good.
    it's good practice for reading comprehensions aswell, and the notes on prose & poetry are handy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

is anyone aware of an equivalent for german??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 kingkev100

i am a teacher of german and i am only too aware that there is a lack of good textbooks and magazines available for the lc.
    i used to use Sprachschatz but after two years i gave up on it as the comprehensions had nothing to do with the themes and all the pupils had to do was memorize somes sentences from the end of each chapter... why read the irrelevant comprehensions in the first place!
    i now use Brennpunkt, which is modern, good thematic stories excellent grammar and websites to check out. it is more a university standard but really good nevertheless. only prob is 'cos its an english A level company who publish it, getting the tape/cd for the book is virtually impossible. The A level is much higher than our LC.
    a great website though is www.vistawide.com i think its called??
    some magazines i suggest are authentik ans spiegel as well as newspapers all of which are available on line
    hope this helps... viel Glueck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gillian86

any1 no where you could buy this magazine? Im not in school anymore and jus repeating the irish myself so im really stuck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

anyone know what essays appeared in it (dreimire) last october/ november?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

gillian86 wrote: »
    any1 no where you could buy this magazine? Im not in school anymore and jus repeating the irish myself so im really stuck!!

http://www.gael-linn.ie/glinn/Resources_SecondarySchool.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

mick kk wrote: »
    anyone know what essays appeared in it (dreimire) last october/ november?

There was one on lack of respect for politicans. I'll look up the rest tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

thanks monzo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

October's featured aiste: "Do Rogha É'', which discusses obesity.
    In the Obair Duit section they tell you do essays on:
    'tá sláinte an phobail ag dul in olcas'
    'bia - an bhfuil rogha rómór againn inniu?'
    'ocras sa tríú domhan'

October's featured díospóireacht: ''Creid nó ná creid''. Scriobh an chaint a dheanfa i ndiospoireacht scoile ar son nó in éadan an rúin. 'Níl muinín ag daoine as an bpolaitíocht níos mó'.
    Obair duit:
    'tá polaiteoirí maithe againn sa tír seo'
    'tá an daonlathas marbh'
    'is slí bheatha mhaith don duine óg í an pholaitíocht'

October's featured alt do nuachtán:
    leigh tu alt a scriobh duine og sa nuachtan la nua faoi rialacha an bhothair. duradh san alt go raibh na gardai rodhian ar thiomanaithe oga. scriobh an t-alt a chuirfea chuig an nuachtan ar an abhar sin.
    obair duit:
    'you've heard a politican on the radio who said that the young are destroying the country. write an article arguing against this.'
    'you've read a magazine article stating that it'd be right for young drivers to be 21 before being able to drive on the road. write an article in response to this.

November's featured aiste: ''Draiocht an fhaisin'' - scriobh aiste dar teideal 'an tabhact a bhaineann le cursai faisin in eirinn inniu'.
    obair duit:
    'is e an t-abharchas reiligiun nua na heireann'
    'ta aos og na linne seo rothogtha le cursai faisin
    'is leargas den duine i an chaoi a mbionn se gleasta'

november's featured óráid:
    'is dichtuir thu ar cuairt chuig scoil chun labhairt leis na daltai sinsireacha faoi chursai slainte. scriobh an oraid a thabharfa.'
    obair duit:
    'is fiontrai aitiuil thu ata ag labhairt ag criunniu poibli faoi do shaol gno. scriobh an oraid a thabharfa.'
    'is polaiteoir thu ata ag iarradh daoine oga a spreagadh chun pairt a ghlacadh sa saol poibli. scriobh an oraid a thabharfa.'
    'is misineir thu ata tar eis filleadh on aifric scriobh an oraid a thabharfa do ghrupa daoine oga ag cur sios ar an obair a rinne tu ann'

november's alt:
    'leigh tu alt a scriobh polaiteoir i nuachtan aitiuil. duradh san alt nach raibh spriocanna ciallmhara ag formhor an aosa oig inniu. scriobh an t-alt a chuirfea chuig an nuachtan ar an abhar sin.'
    obair duit:
    write about an interview you conducted with a politican about the party's views on the recession
    you read an article saying that the youth of today have an easy life. you're not having any of this however and feel inclined to divulge your rage at this in an article of your own.

sin é. as you can see i got bored of constantly putting in fadas so consequently stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cheezeplz

How much is this Magazine does any1 know???

Thanks.

Advertisement