Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 or Mondeo Zetec?

Options
  • 21-03-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I have a strong preference to purchase a Mazda 6 Exec SE 1.8 (Petrol), but if I order it now, I won't get it till June/July (none around at the moment it seems). The Mondeo Zetec 1.6 (Petrol) is available, with the extras I'm keen on such as Climate Control, Steering Wheel controls - Would I be foolish if I

a) go with the mondeo 1.6 petrol
    b) ditch the extras and get the mazda 6 exec only (rather than exec SE)

Any comments on this situation welcome

Thanks

PS I've reviewed previous threads on the mazda6/mondeo zetec and they seem more positive to the m6 due to co2 emissions, lack of power in the zetec (car too big for a 1.6)...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You would be very foolish to buy either of these cars in petrol guise.

Wait till July and get the diesel then.

The Mazda diesel has the same power as the Mondeo's 2.0 diesel but is in the same emissions category as the 1.8 diesel in the Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

There's good value around in Exec petrol Mazda 6s at the moment e.g.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda6/1.8-Executive/683864/

A dealer told me that Mazda underestimated demand for the SE - the steering wheel controls and other extras are very desirable.

Mazda is far more desireable IMO but Mazda Ireland are very rigid on specs. As E92 said best option might be to order a diesel Exec SE for July 1st... The difference in price between petrol/diesel models should be much reduced by then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

pburns wrote: »
    As E92 said best option might be to order a diesel Exec SE for July 1st... The difference in price between petrol/diesel models should be much reduced by then...
    Points to the link in my sig;)!

OP have a look at the link in my sig, you will see that you should be able to get a diesel 6 for less than the 1.8 sells for today, and you will have lower road tax, superior fuel consumption, more power and loads more torque thrown in for good measure. A diesel will be far more desirable in the used car market too.

Hopefully Mazda will start offering the diesels in other spec combos soon, even the Exec SE seems a little basic IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cathy353

E92 - Mega spreadsheet(s) - Thanks a zillion. Putting my money back in the wallet till July!.

Thanks All.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cathy353

Hi,

I'm a few weeks away from possibly spending my dosh on the Mazda 6 2.0 D 138 bhp SExecutive Diesel - but like lots of punter I'm seeing the price of Diesel (and to a lesser extent petrol) sky rocket (with no end in sight). Would you guys be of the opinion, it's still a good move?

I reckon I'd do 15000 miles per year, with a difference of about 12 cent between petrol and diesel at the moment, the extra outlay on diesel costs for the year would top 1800 euro, offset somewhat by the drop in yearly motor tax (140euro) and superior fuel consumption, but fuel savings of 1600e over the petrol equivalent? Obviously the resale value of diels would be stronger I'd imagine in the future. Perhaps a better question(s) might be - I have up to 30K (Max) to spend on car in July - What would you guys recommend?

Very keen to cover all angles on this before I hit the buy button - perhaps another sound approach would be to buy in the North...

Apologies for the long post, but car in and outs aren't my strong suit.

Thanks In Advance :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Take a look at this thread from about post 6 onwards...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055294758

I've heard persistent rumours that the 2.0 diesel engine in the Mazda 6 gives a LOT of trouble. At first I dismissed this as internet tittle-tattle but the evidence - both online and anecdotal - is pretty damning...

I was gonna wait until '09 and hope that a Sport spec was introduced in diesel (if not go for the Exec SE). At the moment I think I'll be avoiding the 6 altogether (but that's just me personally).

I really wouldn't know what to recommend but I would advise to avoid the diesel:(...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Just wanted to re-raise the thorny issue of the diesel engine in the Mazda 6. I am currently considering buying a Mazda 5 and see in another thread that the diesel engines in the 6 were linked with it. As far as I can see there are different engines in each of them. Is this correct? If so, has anyone heard of significant problems with the Mazda 5 diesel engines as most of the information I have seen relates to the 6?

Advertisement