Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from UK - Open Market Selling price calculation

Options
  • 21-03-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
    I was hoping to import a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder from the UK. Saw one I liked and, with a small discount, I can purchase for £13,500 Sterling.
    Cost breakdown as follows;

Car purchase €17,579 (£13,500 converted)
    VRT €12,683
    Total Cost €30,262

The on-line VRT calculator estimates the Open Market Selling price in Ireland of this car as €42,278
    Anyway, When I search in carzone or CBG, this car costs nothing like that type of money here. Here they are being sold for considerably less than this. In fact, I'd probably save money by buying in Ireland and not importing. Has anyone come across this type of problem before and is there anything I can do about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

mosesgun wrote: »
    Has anyone come across this type of problem before and is there anything I can do about it.

Yes it's due to the cartel in operation in that the people giving the Revenue the OMSP figures are the people who benefit most from the high OMSP as it discourages importation of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Thanks for that. Not sure if that's the full story though. I've researched the costs of a number of cars that I'm considering and most of them have significant savings if I import rather than buy here.
    Looks more like a mistake on their part rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Is it possible that there's some confusion between a Private and Commercial Pathfinder? Perhaps the VRT system is quoting you for a Private (e.g. loads of VRT) whereas the Pathfinder's you are seeing in carzone, etc are Commercial (only €50 VRT).

Are you importing a commerical or private Pathfinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Unfortunately not. I' looking to import a private one (seven seats for kids etc). It looks like I can buy one here with a slightly higher spec for similar money to the UK. Suppose I should just buy the one here and stop moaning but I didn't think that this would be the case. Ah well....

Advertisement