Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is bluing?

Options
  • 21-03-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

friend of mine bought stuff to get rid of rust on his shotgun barrels, (some speckling down the outside). the label on the stuff called it "blue and rust remover". whats the blue part? from what ive found on the net, bluing is a protective coating put on old barrels, i think!
    would we be right in assuming this stuff will just take the rust spots off, but wont affect the black coating on the barrels? its a browning cynergy if thats any help recognising the type of "black coating".
    i appreciate any help on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 breatta

I know it dosen't answer your question but i used very fine wire wool and cleanig solvent on a old gun a while back and it worked a treat, turned out like new..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

For what it worth Tideline Sporting Books offer a book which has be specifically wrote for Bluing of Gun barrels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

That black stuff on your barrels is blueing or some other form of coating the rust and blue remover is likely to remove everything and leave your barrel a nice shiny silver unprotected steal.

Very fine wire wool soaked in oil

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

thanks for that, i'll tip off the buddy so. dont think he would have been best pleased to see a shiny barrel looking back at him!

Advertisement