Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on trade-ins

Options
  • 21-03-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm posting this because I really need some advice! I intend trading in my car in July but the quotes I'm getting for a trade in seem a bit outlandish to me ... it's a 05 Yaris with around 40k miles on it and I have seen garages advertising with the same miles or higher on carzone.ie for between €10,500 and €11,000.

Now I know that in a trade in, they obviously don't buy it off you for the same price that they sell it for AND the price of second hand cars will go down a bit in July with the new CO2 emissions thing but I have been quoted €6,500! Is that a rip off or is it normal? My car is in perfect condition, I have looked after it, it gets serviced regularly and the only problem I ever had with it was getting a flat tyre once! So it's not like they'd have anything much to do with it rather than the usual clean up, quick service and fill her up with petrol when they want to sell it.

These were Dublin BMW / MINI dealers and I felt a bit of snobbery when I mentioned it was a Yaris which I'd want to trade in so I feel like they were trying to screw me over. It's also a Galway reg which doesn't help matters.

Would I be better off just buying my new car down the country, trading in there (since license plate snobbery is just "the rest of the ROI" vs Dublin, it doesn't seem to exist between other counties!) and then register my new car up here in Dublin?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

6500 sounds a bit miserly alright, you should be able to push for about 8500 on a trade or 9500-10k if you sel it yourself (more hassel though) Best
    to decide how much you want to spend and try get the best value for your money; dont be afraid to haggle hard either, you'd be amazed how much a salesman will knock off the price if you are push your case;)..........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Garages are full of 2nd hand cars that they can't sell at the monent. Since you are trading a Toyota into a BMW/MINI dealer you'd get a bad price anyway, but the garage may be politely telling you to sell privately and come back with cash as they don't want the hassle of trying to move a non franchise car on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shop around. Don't limit yourself to the big pale either, be prepared to travel for the best deal. Just because you buy it down the country doesn't mean to you have to go back to the same place for servicing or warranty work.

Also don't worry too much about how much they are allowing you for your own car, the important figure to remember is the amount it is costing you to trade up.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

bazz26 wrote: »
    Shop around. Don't limit yourself to the big pale either, be prepared to travel for the best deal. Just because you buy it down the country doesn't mean to you have to go back to the same place for servicing or warranty work.

Also don't worry too much about how much they are allowing you for your own car, the important figure to remember is the amount it is costing you to trade up.

+1

look at how much you have to spend rather than how much you are getting for your trade-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

Hi OP ,

I see from previous threads your looking at buying a mini ? I had the same problem when I went to Dublin based BMW/Mini dealers looking to trade in my car. One tip i will give you is to go to country garages you will get a better trade in price.

If you buy new your addess dictates the plate .. apparently D reg's are more sought after. Bought mine from a country garage and it is a D reg

PS the mini is worth it tho !!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm trading in my 02 Nissan Micra Automatic for an 08 Ford Fiesta and the dealer is offering me just over 6 grand for my car. There is about 9000 miles on my car(hardly run-in, I know). The shop price of the new car is just over 18k.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

apparently D reg's are more sought after.

Only in Dublin though.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Only in Dublin though.

Totally agree its rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd say a big reason for your poor trade-in value, is the car you're looking to trade against - a new Mini? The new Mini has rock-solid used-values and dealers give little or no discount on them new. There's no margin for discount on them I believe, hence the miserly valuation they give you for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yep it's a MINI I want to get and I do live in Dublin so will be getting a D reg, that way when I trade it in for newer model in a few years (oh Cooper S you will be mine some day!) I won't have to worry about reg plate snobbery!

I think I will just buy down the country instead and trade it in there.

• Advertisement

Thats what I did and no regrets .......... yes the cooper s will be mine someday as well :p but for now cooper is mighty fine :D.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yep I just want the Cooper S because of the amazing dark silver colour and right now can't justify spending an extra €5k on just the colour!!! I don't need that sort of power anyway, I'm coming up from a 1L to a 1.6L, that'll do me just fine!

Love that colour 2 but the handling of the one/cooper car wont leave you disappointed. Everytime I look at my car I just smile .

Advertisement