Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Record With A Boss BR900 And Garageband

Options
  • 21-03-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello, I am new at this forum thing so please help me out.
    I have a Boss BR900 and a MacBook with GarageBand. This is expensive equipment which i have put my heart and soul into saving up for them. I have them and I can't get my BR900 to register with GarageBand. This is extremely annoying because i have 113 songs which i have written and my band need to record 14 of them for our debut album which is meant to be out in May but we haven't even recorded one! I don't know how to use the BR900 cos i am not that tech savvy but i really, really need you guy's help! Please! Reply and Quote and stuff! Please!

-Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Adam,

Good to hear you have the first 10 albums written!

Go to

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=718

for BR900 FAQs which may help you.

How were you intending integrating with Garageband? As far as I remember all you can do is swap files from you BR to your computer and back, primarily intended for backup as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 strambooi

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Adam,

Good to hear you have the first 10 albums written!

Go to

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=718

for BR900 FAQs which may help you.

How were you intending integrating with Garageband? As far as I remember all you can do is swap files from you BR to your computer and back, primarily intended for backup as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, 10 albums which i cant seem to record! lol! I was intending in plugging in all our instruments into the PA and sending them through the BR900 to GarageBand. Thanks for being helpful! I am still rifling through the 200+ page manual!

I guess what i will have to do is record one track for the guitar, put it on garageband, and record another and send it to garageband afterwards. I just think it would be better if i could send the track straight through if you get what i mean. Please reply.

-Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

What you're talking about is using the BR as an interface for Garageband ...I'm pretty sure that won't work I'm afraid....

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    What you're talking about is using the BR as an interface for Garageband ...I'm pretty sure that won't work I'm afraid....

kk, i wish i had known that before i had bought it! but oh well! i'm sure it will work out in the end! thnx for letting me known paul. By the way, i was wondering, what kind of pro audio company do you work for?

-Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

dude,

is your boss a cd burner version? if so its a standalone recorder, well it can be like.

as for garageband, pretty sure you could stick your p.a. via line out into your mac soundcard and record straight. but i wouldnt recommend that as you would have to set your sound levels before you record which is a bitch as if you get a good take you cant manipulate it! if you want we can go p.m. and i'll tell ya how i do record.
    it will take you a little bit, but you'll be delighted with the results.

• Advertisement

dude,

is your boss a cd burner version? if so its a standalone recorder, well it can be like.

as for garageband, pretty sure you could stick your p.a. via line out into your mac soundcard and record straight. but i wouldnt recommend that as you would have to set your sound levels before you record which is a bitch as if you get a good take you cant manipulate it! if you want we can go p.m. and i'll tell ya how i do record.
    it will take you a little bit, but you'll be delighted with the results.

Yer it is a BR900CD. Where would i plug in the PA? i don't have an input like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

its pretty standard i'd imagine. either you have two aux inputs, i.e. phono cables, or, you have 2 x 2.5mm jacks sockets, one for left/mono one for right. either that or you might have a stereo input thats one of the line ins or mic inputs. its all pretty much the same, some lines are mono, some stereo.. just watch your input levels, you dont want feedback, and you dont want to damage your boss recorder.

i would recommend laying down your bass track and drum track first then build your song around them. its all trial and error like.
    there should be built in effects on that machine aswell. and virtual takes.

if you take it track by track you will be able to make pretty good quality recordings, i wouldnt recommend using the p.a. man.
    maybe for all teh mics on teh drums, but for the instruments, give them their own track, you can manipulate them much easier.

having said that, i record with a laptop and cool edit pro 2.1.
    my stuff isnt great, but if i put a bit more time in the sound would be a lot better like. i just do rough demos n stuff.

www.myspace.com/jayseekay

all i do is run a mixer into my laptop and record track by track. its slow, but you have far more options in the end. plus, with screen based work you can manipulate the wav files.

ahh well

have fun recording man.

Advertisement