Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC's 'The Passion'

• 21-03-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else find this unwatchable? I've only seen the first of this and can't bring myself to watch the rest (have it on digital catch up)

I mean seriously, was Pontias Pilate really likely to have been Northern Irish? Just how many of the disciples were known to be Welsh? And the Jewish High Priest was from Manchester by all accounts. :rolleyes:

Lazy casting and acting of the highest order. Surely some neutral accents could be found, or even actors who could play down their own.

Pointless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Did they all speak English too? That would be incorrect also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Sarcasm noted.
    And a fair enough point but it was over the top in the accent area.
    It had all of the visual production values of present time, but in terms of casting it was more like a seriously cheap 60's production. For a current version, made with the BBC and HBO for global broadcast, it is pretty laughable to have actors not even bother to try and act the part.

One I missed - Barrabas was from Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I watched a bit of it and turned it off.

It sounded like a bad episode of Eastenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched part of two episodes and did find it less than riveting to watch although not quite as bad as posted and I think the acting is decent enough but I wonder why they bothered? The story has been retold so many times it's like the "director's cut" of Blade Runner. :D

Jesus as usual gets all the best lines. The only vaguely interesting things are the stories of Barrabas and Pilate (despite the accent). TBH the whole story , religion aside, is really an epic with a cast of thousands and Scorsese, Zeffirelli and Mel Gibson have all done it an awful lot better. You can't do it in what looks like a small studio on a shoestring.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

I found the whole thing 'Passionless'' its paint by numbers. The actors are all regulars and probably thought this was a quick buck maker.

The only reason its been on in our house, is because my son is going through a 'devoute' stage... and he even asked 'how come barabas is from liverpool....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Beeb are going through a "remake" phase at the moment, bloody waste of time and money if you ask me.

Advertisement