Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walking in Heels

• 21-03-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭

I've a problem walking in heels without a strap across the instep.
    It doesn't matter how high or low the heel is, the shoes just don't seem to stay on my feet, and slip off my heels. I don't want to be stuck in walking in shoes with straps across the instep, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I could do to help (apart from practice - I've tried that and it doesn't work! It's fine in the house, but once I go outside it's back to square one!)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭missingyou

I've had this problem before! And I feel your pain! But I could swear on scholls party feet gel cushions, they really relieve the tension on your feet and cause you to have a grip on your shoe! Maybe get measured again as well, just to make sure you are wearing the perfect shoe for your size :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

oh I've the same problem! Can't wear shoes without a strap over my foot, they all fall off. I assumed I've a slender heel or something? I've tried all sorts of gel cushions etc, plus if I buy a smaller shoe they tend to squish my toes, I'd rather not do that.

Try the gel cushions as recommended above, they might work for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I have very narrow feet too and find I have this problem with some shoes more than others. The ones from Dune always seem to be fine though. Also when buying them you should try them when your feet aren't too warm as this makes them swell up a little and so a shoe that seems to fit perfectly in the shop will in actual fact probably be a little too big for your ordinarily and the smaller size (generally half a size) would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've the same problem, but I have resigned myself to wearing shoes with straps for the rest of my life. I have tried insoles but they didnt help at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

I work in a shoe shop, and you'd be surprised the amount of women who have this problem. The best thing I could suggest to you are small clear gell strips that sit on the inside of the shoes and hold them to your feet invisibally, they also make 'em more comfortable!

they're like €5 in Faith, not sure where else you can get them, and you get 6 in a pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I've tried insoles, smaller sizes, etc. and none of them worked. .
    shazpunk wrote: »
    The best thing I could suggest to you are small clear gell strips that sit on the inside of the shoes and hold them to your feet invisibally, they also make 'em more comfortable!

I hadn't heard about the gell strips before; I'll give them a go and see what happens. Do they sit around your heel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Getting a good fitting is half the battle, with most sales associates not adequately trained to do so.

Convert: They sit anywhere on the shoe you need extra grip, that really does depend on the shoe, but yeah around the heal, around the toes, the sides, wherever you need it lol, iv got 'em in about 4 shoes :)

Blue: The thing with training in fitting is that it can only really be done in stores like Clarks, where they have their own specalised branding and sizing, in most of the highstreet stores (Faith, Dune, Aldo etc.) you'll find that different companies supply to many different stores, and within each store there are different size grading depending on weather they're EU, UK or US bassed suppliers. The most important thing, is most shops offer a full refund, so the shoes can be taken home and tried aorund the house, we're grown ups now, surely we can find shoes to fit! ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I work in a shoe shop, and you'd be surprised the amount of women who have this problem. The best thing I could suggest to you are small clear gell strips that sit on the inside of the shoes and hold them to your feet invisibally, they also make 'em more comfortable!

they're like €5 in Faith, not sure where else you can get them, and you get 6 in a pack.

What are they called?

http://www.faith.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=904200&language=en-GB&cid=173

STRAPPY CUSHIONING STRIPS, they're by shooze, just ask any sales person :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

try the gel cushions, they'll give you great grip and wear them all night.

also, try sort-of walking using your hips, if you know what I mean, rather than walking as you would in say flip-flops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

The thing with training in fitting is that it can only really be done in stores like Clarks, where they have their own specalised branding and sizing, in most of the highstreet stores (Faith, Dune, Aldo etc.) you'll find that different companies supply to many different stores, and within each store there are different size grading depending on weather they're EU, UK or US bassed suppliers. The most important thing, is most shops offer a full refund, so the shoes can be taken home and tried aorund the house, we're grown ups now, surely we can find shoes to fit! ;p

I've noticed that, depending on which shop to which you go, the sizes are different. What I tend to do is ask the assistants for a few different sizes and see which one fits me best. I'll also ask for both shoes and walk around the shop in them a bit before I decide. Quite often I won't actually buy the shoes if I feel they're not a good fit.

While it would be fantastic, in an ideal world, if sales assistants in every shop could help us with fittings, as shazpunk said, we're all old enough to know whether or not shoes fit us and not to buy them if we're in doubt. We have to take responsibility for our actions!!! :)

Thank for the tips, shazpunk. I'll let you know how I get on!

Advertisement