Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easter Weekend Speed Traps

Options
  • 21-03-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

So where has everyone seen the Gardai shooting fish in a barrell this weekend?

I was giving out that last weekend I drove over 600kms and didnt see one speed check. Tonight I drove around 70kms at saw 2. Good news, except no surprises that they werent situated where road accidents are most likely to happen

1. On the outer ring road in Dublin heading from the N7 to the N4 just at one of the traffic lights near Grange. Really sneaky hiding behind a sign. Its an 80km zone but its dual carriageway separated by concrete barriers. I dont think resources should be wasted in a spot like this catching someone doing 9- or 100kms in an 80.

2. Southbound on the 3 lane section of the N7 just before Naas. They are often around here but they were in a new spot tonight quite close to the Naas turn off parked in the grass. Again hardly the most dangerous stretch of road

So how many have seen speed traps on secondary roads this weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I was going from Shannon to Limerick this morning at 11am and there were 4 cars on one side of the dual carraigeway with about 8 gardai in tow checking every car on the way into Limerick for Tax/Insurance/Seatbelts/Random Breath Tests etc. There was no speed checks as they had the traffic stopped completely, by the time I got to the top of the queue I was being waved on as all the gardai had cars pulled in and they were busy taking details. They were there for most of the afternoon. What fun!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I drove Ashbourne to Kilkenny yesterday and back again today.

There were two speed traps on the "Naas Dual-carraigeway" - not sure what the road number is...but they were about 2 miles apart.

Assume they were set up like that to catch people who assumed it would be safe to put the foot down after passing the first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Drove Galway - Dublin - Kilkenny - Waterford - Limerick - Galway last Saturday and had my speed checked at least nine times, twice by Gatso van and the other times by patrol cars or Gardai on foot (Long Mile Road).

Went up and down from Galway to Belfast (Roscommon - Longford - Ardagh - Lisnaskea - A4/M1) and there was a PSNI truck of some sort on a layby somewhere, but that was it. Apparently the N17 was crawling with cops today, but that's heavily policed so no surprises there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I know it's all shooting fish in a barrel but at least their is a presence. Unlike other days of the week and normal weekends when you don't see our traffic corp out on the roads. Strongly believe that a presence is better than nothing.

Safe motoring everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Drove from Galway today to Dublin and not a single one, however the roads were completely empty in that direction. At one stage there was a white van pulled over on the hard shoulder. One of these
    citroenberlingoelectrique.jpg

but hazards on and there was a guy stepping out of it. Doubt it was a gatso van? Hope I'm alright anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

They where out on the Conyngham Rd by the Phoenix Park doing random breath tests yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Certainly seems there is more of a presence around this weekend alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

saw loads of checkpoints for breath testing last weekend in Dublin, not one to be seen on the 4 nights up and down from dublin to carlow though.

saw a speed check near tinryland today on the wexford carlow road, the garda car was well hidden, you wouldnt see it until it was too late

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I went from Dublin to Limerick last Friday, then back again on Sunday and didn't see one police person at all. There were people overtaking 5 or 6 cars at once along the way too, they are the punters that should be punished.

One young fella in a Polo overtook me at the bottom of a hill...i was doing 100KMH....it would have taken him about 10 mins to go past me if i didnt slow down...thats nearly as bad as trying to overtake on a corner.

Some proper idiots out there on the roads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yesterday the gardai (I think they were local rather than traffic corps) were outside the (closed) school on Captain's Hill in Leixlip hidden amongst other cars parked at the side of the road.
    No idea what speed they were looking for or how many they caught but as the gun was pointing towards the pedestrian crossing area along a road where there is frequently people speeding, all I can say is fair play to them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

nice drive from Dundalk to wicklow town late last night in between didnt see one garda car. Trip took an hour no other cars on the road = best trip in ages. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

One hour?? Just as well you didn't see any Garda car's :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

An average speed of 140km/hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Actually now that I'm fully awake I wasnt in dundalk but drogheda :D;) Monasterboice,Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

An average of 127Km/h then; that makes it all better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I did Newbridge to Killarney last night and Killarney to Newbridge this afternoon. I saw a total of two Garda vehicles, and they were simply driving along. Not one speed/breath check in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Saw one on the N4 beyond Newtownforbes yesterday about 4pm, more accurately the aftermath of someone being pulled by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

One traffic corps car parked up near Abbeyleix on the N8 this afternoon. Very quiet otherwise down in the Midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

On the TV it said that "extra Gardaí were being drafted in" for the weekend blitz.
    Drafted in from where I ask, abroad?
    Do they mean taken off other important duties to bolster a PR exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol was reading this thread and realised I'd no milk...tookoff up thr 24 hr garage and come round the corner at DKIT to be met with a mobile checkpoint...pulled some wee girl in a hatchback in front of me, waved me on through (I was pulling into garage in about 50yds)...got waved through on the way back too. If I was still in my 106 I'd have been sure for a puller...amazing the difference a car can make...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Was on the M50 yesterday and not a Garda in sight, was stuck behind a lorry for a while, no need to overtake it as it was doing 120km/h :rolleyes:

The amount of lorries I seen overtaking were a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Bond-007 wrote: »
    One traffic corps car parked up near Abbeyleix on the N8 this afternoon. Very quiet otherwise down in the Midlands.

Yep. Drove Dublin to Cork on Tuesday and all I saw was a Garda car parked in a gateway. Garda sitting in it but doing nothing. Drove back today and saw the guy in Abbeyleix, same deal. No camera, no hairdryer, didn't even seem to be paying any attention to the traffic.

Oh, and I also saw a cop car on the back of a recovery truck around Cashel.

Maybe the idea is to just have a visible presence. After all, if they're stopped then everybody passes them and sees them. My opinion is, if they were mobile and doing the mileage they would see and punish the sort of behaviour that's actually causing people to die on the roads. Like the rep in the A4 that chased me down to Cork with flagrant disregard for continuous white lines and even had to stop on the wrong side of the road when attempting to overtake some cars that were stopping for the roadworks he hadn't noticed.

Advertisement