Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would other boardsies be pissed off about this.

Options
  • 21-03-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

I have been with my tv provider the last 3 years- it shall remain nameless but i have had NOTHING but problems with them.

This month i have had to contact them 3 times with problems.

No bills from them came into us since the start of the year, i called them a million times about this and they said its a problem with their billing dept- but 3 months later still no bill , then today a bill comes in the door for 300 quid and it says it HAS to be paid By March the 25th. Now i only pay 70e a month for tv and net so that should only be 210e. I called them and they said the extra 90e was a fee for non payment of bills for 3 months, But they never sent the bloody bills out to us in the 1st place!

Then our tv and net went off for a whole week, and then it was ANOTHER week before they came out to fix the problem after they telling us they would be out within the 1st week and they had the NERVE to say they wouldnt take any money off our next bill as it wasnt their fault

And NOW our TV is gone AGAIN and has been gone since 2 o clock today, and after calling them they said its a techical fault and cos of the bank holiday it wont be sorted until next week

Is it time to change providers? What do boardsies think?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think this would be more suited to consumer issues or one of the cable forums.

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

CHANGE!!!!

If they continue to kick up a fuss about the **** service and extra charges take them to the small claims court, costs just €9 so you cant go wrong there.

Also find out if they offer a free post service - I know of a credit card company that do who get bales of briquettes and blocks through the post from disgruntled customers because they have to pay the postage for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

asterix wrote: »
    CHANGE!!!!

If they continue to kick up a fuss about the **** service and extra charges take them to the small claims court, costs just €9 so you cant go wrong there.

Also find out if they offer a free post service - I know of a credit card company that do who get bales of briquettes and blocks through the post from disgruntled customers because they have to pay the postage for them!

i have not paid the 300e yet cos i told them until they sort out my service im refusing to- and what about that extra 90e do i have a leg to stand on with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To be honest I'd pay what I owe them - the €70 a month. I wouldn't pay the extra charges.

You should log all contact with them - hopefully you did when you rang them about the billing.

When you've paid up cancel the contract - state why and change.

As far as I know then your clear, I doubt they'll send solicitors after you for a measly €90 but if they do pay up but counter it with the small claims court. That way you wont have lost anything and have demonstrated that your the innocent party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

asterix wrote: »
    To be honest I'd pay what I owe them - the €70 a month. I wouldn't pay the extra charges.

You should log all contact with them - hopefully you did when you rang them about the billing.

When you've paid up cancel the contract - state why and change.

As far as I know then your clear, I doubt they'll send solicitors after you for a measly €90 but if they do pay up but counter it with the small claims court. That way you wont have lost anything and have demonstrated that your the innocent party.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

I have been with my tv provider the last 3 years- it shall remain nameless but i have had NOTHING but problems with them.

This month i have had to contact them 3 times with problems.

No bills from them came into us since the start of the year, i called them a million times about this and they said its a problem with their billing dept- but 3 months later still no bill , then today a bill comes in the door for 300 quid and it says it HAS to be paid By March the 25th. Now i only pay 70e a month for tv and net so that should only be 210e. I called them and they said the extra 90e was a fee for non payment of bills for 3 months, But they never sent the bloody bills out to us in the 1st place!

Then our tv and net went off for a whole week, and then it was ANOTHER week before they came out to fix the problem after they telling us they would be out within the 1st week and they had the NERVE to say they wouldnt take any money off our next bill as it wasnt their fault

And NOW our TV is gone AGAIN and has been gone since 2 o clock today, and after calling them they said its a techical fault and cos of the bank holiday it wont be sorted until next week

Is it time to change providers? What do boardsies think?

dont think for one minute i am agreeing with the TV company because there isnt a single one i can think of in this country that is any use but...... you say you are with them for 3 years and the service is €70 a month? so if that is the case then it doesnt matter if the bill comes out every month, every day, or doesnt arrive at all. you know how much has to be paid each month so regardless of a piece of paper arriving in the post, you know that X amount of money is due every X amount of months and its usualy due on the X date of each month. you should have just taken the iniative and paid it when you knew it was due. it would have saved you €90.

first off i would check their terms & conditions and see of it says anything about adding an addittional charge if a bill isnt paid on time. if it doesnt state it there then call them and point this out. argue the point that you will pay the 3 months but you will not be paying the extra charge as it was never stated in the T & C's.

after paying the balance i would go looking for a new provider. they seem like a pain in the ass to deal with. even if you have to get seperate providers for TV and Net, it might still be worth it if they provide a good service and it saves you a few quid.

lastly, if possible pay by direct debit in future. saves these problems from happening.

good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ask for a copy (in writing) of all the data on your account with them, including billing and customer care calls, under the Data Protection Act. They are obliged to provide these details, but may charge you a small admin fee.

These calls to customer care should result in remarks entered in their system about the call - ie that you asked for bills, etc.

Tell them that you are prepared to pay for the charges you are liable for (make sure you stress you'll only pay for what you are liable for), and then inform them that you are prepared to take a case to the small claims court for over-billing and the fact they are not providing a proper service.

Hopefully that will sort them out quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hear a Chorus in my ear !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I doubt it Paulw. She really won't get anywhere regarding not paying.

She knew the amount, she knew it wasn't getting the bill. They will have calls logged about her ringing up for them so she hadn't forgotten. I don't see why it makes any difference whether she got the bill or not. If the bill gets lost in the post can she also skips a month or two? I know it wasn't lost but she still knew how much she had to pay and when.

I won't comment on the poor service though. That alone is reason to change.

board om wrote: »
    dont think for one minute i am agreeing with the TV company because there isnt a single one i can think of in this country that is any use but...... you say you are with them for 3 years and the service is €70 a month? so if that is the case then it doesnt matter if the bill comes out every month, every day, or doesnt arrive at all. you know how much has to be paid each month so regardless of a piece of paper arriving in the post, you know that X amount of money is due every X amount of months and its usualy due on the X date of each month. you should have just taken the iniative and paid it when you knew it was due. it would have saved you €90.
    Thats a good point. At the end of the day OP you are responsible for paying the bill. You could probably get away with just paying what you owe not including this €90 charge due to them not having sent a bill if you argue with them but at least pay what you owe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Exact same thing happened to may, bill was being payed automatically by CC.

Rang CC company and they said TV Co. never sent them a new request for payment (not sure what they didn't send them exactly, cant really remember but CC said they needed this from the TV Co. to process the payment) The CC company said it happens fairly often

Anyway disconnection without any notice, looking for overdue money, reconnection fees etc. I told them to stick the box up their Gary Glitter and spin round on it.

Dodgy box is the way to go now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Anyway disconnection without any notice, looking for overdue money, reconnection fees etc. I told them to stick the box up their Gary Glitter and spin round on it.
    :D

One provider that gives good service is also the one with the worst picture quality ,so you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

first off i would check their terms & conditions and see of it says anything about adding an addittional charge if a bill isnt paid on time. if it doesnt state it there then call them and point this out. argue the point that you will pay the 3 months but you will not be paying the extra charge as it was never stated in the T & C's.

after paying the balance i would go looking for a new provider. they seem like a pain in the ass to deal with. even if you have to get seperate providers for TV and Net, it might still be worth it if they provide a good service and it saves you a few quid.

lastly, if possible pay by direct debit in future. saves these problems from happening.

good luck with it

If the OP had no bill whats to say the money would go into their acc? I'm assuming the OP uses' the giro at the bottom of the bill to pay, if they have no giro there is no guarentee that any money they pay to the TV company would get credited to their acc with the billing system down. I know I'd much rather owe them €210 then be trying to get €210 back from them.

Also you should never pay by DD if possible, they can increase the amount they take at any time. Setup a standing order and you control how much they get.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the OP had no bill whats to say the money would go into their acc? I'm assuming the OP uses' the giro at the bottom of the bill to pay, if they have no giro there is no guarentee that any money they pay to the TV company would get credited to their acc with the billing system down. I know I'd much rather owe them €210 then be trying to get €210 back from them.
    You would have receipts for monies paid so that would not be an issue.
    Also you should never pay by DD if possible, they can increase the amount they take at any time. Setup a standing order and you control how much they get.
    I agree a standing order would be better than a direct debit.

its all done via the accout number so even if you went to the post office with last years bill and paid €500 to that account number, once you have the receipt to prove you have paid it you are fine. your account would just be in credit by €500. getting that particular giro from that particular bill with that patrcular €70 on it makes no difference what so ever.

a standing order might make more sense alright. at least you would be guaranteed never paying more than is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

i pay the bill by postal order ,i dont use DD due to a problem i had with it before.They money is put away for each bill so thats not a problem- what is a problem is they said to me on the phone i wouldnt be held liable for extra charges as it was the fault of the billing dept, and now they are saying i do have to.

And i burn my bills when i pay them due to bein freaked out when a friends identity was stolen last year, so i didnt have a diff bill to go over and say "hey take x amount off this account" and the last time i went over to the PO with an account number they said it was no good to them as they needed the bill(something about a service number bla bla bla) and i honestly left it at that cos the provider said they would sort it

I have threatned to leave before and they called me and said "oh if ya stay we wil give u x amount of months free" but sure what goods that when the service is down half the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I would say dump Chrous and get Sky if you really need to have multi channel tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I for one would be very peed off about it. What it boils down to is that you're supposed to pay for a very patchy service or a service you didn't get at all. And as for faulty equipment, if you read your contract it will most likely state that all equipment is property of the company and unless you did cause it to malfunction that also means that they are responsible for equipment faults. If they go piggy back on another network and try to blame their technical mishaps on that, not your problem either. How they get, or more applicable don't get, their signal into your home is not your problem. So my proposal would be the following : pay them exactly to the penny, by check or draft, for the days you had your tele and net connection running properly. Include a letter stating why you're doing this and also state that you no longer wish to avail of their services and that they can come and collect their stuff send this registered to the official company address. Very important : keep a copy of your letter and draft. If the official company address is different than the billing department address that's too bad for them, you can send correspondence to their official address no bother. If they send you nasty letters after that you can take it from there and argue your case. You should keep in mind that ultimatly a lot of judges take a very dim view of companies that deliver substandard services while charging full whack.

I for one would be very peed off about it. What it boils down to is that you're supposed to pay for a very patchy service or a service you didn't get at all. And as for faulty equipment, if you read your contract it will most likely state that all equipment is property of the company and unless you did cause it to malfunction that also means that they are responsible for equipment faults. If they go piggy back on another network and try to blame their technical mishaps on that, not your problem either. How they get, or more applicable don't get, their signal into your home is not your problem. So my proposal would be the following : pay them exactly to the penny, by check or draft, for the days you had your tele and net connection running properly. Include a letter stating why you're doing this and also state that you no longer wish to avail of their services and that they can come and collect their stuff send this registered to the official company address. Very important : keep a copy of your letter and draft. If the official company address is different than the billing department address that's too bad for them, you can send correspondence to their official address no bother. If they send you nasty letters after that you can take it from there and argue your case. You should keep in mind that ultimatly a lot of judges take a very dim view of companies that deliver substandard services while charging full whack.

yeah, that will work. good stuff.

and when the debt collecion agency comes calling, you can just tell them you arent paying it becuase your TV didnt work for a few days. in fact, ask them to add a note when they are sending your name to the Credit Bureau regarding unpaid bills that says "he didnt pay the bills, but its ok becuase his TV wasnt working for a few days"

judges dont give 2 swinging mickys about sub standard servcies. there is a system used when it comes to court called "the reasonable man". it basicaly means how would an average person of sound mind see a situation. in this atiuation "the reaonable man" would have not seen a paper bill coming in the letter box but would have known that the moeny was due so he would therefore have made other arrangements to get it paid. and regarding the sub standard service, "the reasonable man" can not expect 100% perfect service from anyone or anything. you have to allow for a margin of error in every case. when you walk into a shop, not every shop assistant will be helpful, not every item in the shop will be perfectly priced and working 100%. you could get a faulty dvd player, a faulty mobile phone, a pair of jeans might have a tear, etc. when getting digital services your broadband might have some downtime, your phone line might sometimes not work, and your TV service might go due to unforseen circumstances. that is why they cover their asses so well in the terms & conditions.

i am not saying this is fair. in an ideal world everything would work perfectly, but this is the real world, and some things suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

OP: presume it is NTL/Corus that you are being billed by?

Don't feel hesitant about naming them. I doubt there is anyone in the country that would have a good word to say about them. They really are a case study in bad customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

If you are with the same company I was with 7 yrs ago then it is certainly time to change. I got their box and a huge pole with aerial on top of my house. They never told me about the pole. It must of been about 50 feet tall on the roof of my two storey house with 2 support wires.
    Anyway about 6-7months later after numerous problems I told them to come out and take everything away due to pee poor service. An engineer came out, took one look at the pole and told me I'd have to pay an additional €70 to have it taken down. Said it wasn't up to him and I should get onto the company. called the company and had a roaring argument with a snotty woman from customer service. Finally told her to have someone round my house in two days or they will find their precious box and the pole on the side of the road. That evening the engineer was round and took it all away and at no extra cost!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

judges dont give 2 swinging mickys about sub standard servcies. there is a system used when it comes to court called "the reasonable man". it basicaly means how would an average person of sound mind see a situation. in this atiuation "the reaonable man" would have not seen a paper bill coming in the letter box but would have known that the moeny was due so he would therefore have made other arrangements to get it paid.

The OP had called and asked about the lack of bill and was told not too worry as they wouldn't be charged as the issue was on the providers end. Then they get a bill for late payment. I think any judge who accept that the OP did what a reasonable man would have done and let them off.

The OP had called and asked about the lack of bill and was told not too worry as they wouldn't be charged as the issue was on the providers end. Then they get a bill for late payment. I think any judge who accept that the OP did what a reasonable man would have done and let them off.

no, the reasonable man would have paid the bill knowing that it was owed. having a piece of paper telling him it was owed shouldnt have made the slightest bit of difference to the reasonable man. he knows x amount is due on the x date of every month. so if the piece of paper that tells him that it is owed doesnt arrive in the post box then the reasonable man would still know it has to be paid and would make arrangemnts to do that by one of the many methods for paying the bill (over the phone, at post offce, dorect debit, by post, online, etc,).

in fact in all these calls made to customer care about the non existent bills, did the OP never think to offer to pay the bill over the phone with credit card or laser card? if he was already through to the customer services team then it would have taken an extra 2 minutes and would have saved a lot of hassle.

unfortunetly when working in a call centre most customer sevices reps aim goal is to get you off the phone with as little hassle and as little work for them as possible. and they will regularly tell you "eveything will be fine" knowing that the chance are by the time a problem comes to light the suctomer wont remember which custoemr service rep they were speaking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Funny the terms and conditions of these companies never tell you that they're not allowed to sell you a sub standard service. And I didn't say not to pay. I said pay for the time the service was provided correctly. And as for debt collection agencies : they're nothing more than cash collectors on behalf of who hires them. They have no more power than you or me to collect money owed.

Just trying to make the point that you should not blindly accept what a company says you owe them. No matter what's in their terms and conditions, and I accept that they are an integral part of the contract you have with them, but they also have an obligation to deliver on their side of the contract and if they don't do that or are not able to do that their terms and conditions aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Funny the terms and conditions of these companies never tell you that they're not allowed to sell you a sub standard service. And I didn't say not to pay. I said pay for the time the service was provided correctly. And as for debt collection agencies : they're nothing more than cash collectors on behalf of who hires them. They have no more power than you or me to collect money owed.

Just trying to make the point that you should not blindly accept what a company says you owe them. No matter what's in their terms and conditions, and I accept that they are an integral part of the contract you have with them, but they also have an obligation to deliver on their side of the contract and if they don't do that or are not able to do that their terms and conditions aren't worth the paper they're written on.
    The you should cancel the contract immediately and not stay with them for over 3 years and then decide the service is crap. You could claim a refund then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

no, the reasonable man would have paid the bill knowing that it was owed. having a piece of paper telling him it was owed shouldnt have made the slightest bit of difference to the reasonable man. he knows x amount is due on the x date of every month. so if the piece of paper that tells him that it is owed doesnt arrive in the post box then the reasonable man would still know it has to be paid and would make arrangemnts to do that by one of the many methods for paying the bill (over the phone, at post offce, dorect debit, by post, online, etc,).

Most people get a lot of bills every month or two for a lot of different services. It's not reasonable to expqect someone to keep track of when their TV is due to be paid an how much its for, if the TV company can't be bothered to get their own billing system in order.

Most people wouldn't even bother ringing the TV company, the OP did, and was told they were having billing issues - which it took them 3 months to sort out. And they then have the cheek to look for a late payment fee?

There's only one party not being resonable here, and it ain't the OP.

MOH wrote: »
    Most people get a lot of bills every month or two for a lot of different services. It's not reasonable to expqect someone to keep track of when their TV is due to be paid an how much its for, if the TV company can't be bothered to get their own billing system in order.

Most people wouldn't even bother ringing the TV company, the OP did, and was told they were having billing issues - which it took them 3 months to sort out. And they then have the cheek to look for a late payment fee?

There's only one party not being resonable here, and it ain't the OP.

well if you were with the same company for 3 years, paying the same amount on the same date for 3 years, then it is reasonable to assume that you would know how much it was and that you would know when it was to be paid. if you couldnt figure out after that length of time how much something is and when it is to be paid, you must not be very good at managing your finances.

if the bill was paid by direct debit then you could be excused for not knowing how much the service cost as the figure wouldnt be in your head as such becuase it would be coming directly from your bank account. i couldnt tell you exactly how much my broadband costs becuase it is direct debit, i just know it is between €40 and €50 a month. BUT i do know what date it comes out of my account every month. seeing as the OP doesnt pay by direct debit that means that they are looking at the hard copy of the bill every month and then either writing a cheque, or writing down credit card / laser card number and posting back, or going to post office and paying, or calling in and paying by cc / laser, etc.

and the fact that the OP knew to call the company when they didnt recieve the bill shows that they DID know the money was due. otherwise why did the OP call the company?

so for these reasons it is reasonable to assume that the OP knew how much to pay and when to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I think your idea of what the reasonable man would do here are unreasonable. To my way of thinking, the reaonable man in this case contacts the company to ask about the bill not arriving. When they say there's an issue with the billing and they're working on it, you wait for the bill to arrive. When it still fails to arrive, you contact them again, and ask them to sort it out. Get it in writing from them that the issue lies on their side, and that they will not be applying penalties because of non-payment caused by their mistakes.

seagull wrote: »
    I think your idea of what the reasonable man would do here are unreasonable. To my way of thinking, the reaonable man in this case contacts the company to ask about the bill not arriving. When they say there's an issue with the billing and they're working on it, you wait for the bill to arrive. When it still fails to arrive, you contact them again, and ask them to sort it out. Get it in writing from them that the issue lies on their side, and that they will not be applying penalties because of non-payment caused by their mistakes.
    I would agree with you IF and only IF the company refused to accept the payment that the OP knew was due e.g. if they said "sorry we cannot accept payment until our billing department gets the problems fixed". They already told him they were having problems sending the bills so he knew there was a problem. The OP knew how much to pay and when it was due so it is not like they just made up these figues all of a sudden.

I'd say if you contact NTL and explain the situation then you probably would get away with paying the late fee - just escalate the problem to someone who can waive the late fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To the person talking about the "reasonable man"... no everyone has a credit card, and also the OP has pointed out that she cant pay via the post office a bill that she doesn't have the service number:
    And i burn my bills when i pay them due to bein freaked out when a friends identity was stolen last year, so i didnt have a diff bill to go over and say "hey take x amount off this account" and the last time i went over to the PO with an account number they said it was no good to them as they needed the bill(something about a service number bla bla bla) and i honestly left it at that cos the provider said they would sort it

Advertisement