Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the dreaded spare tire..

Options
  • 21-03-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

the spare tire: that stubborn bit of fat around the tummy, hips, and lower back.. do any ladies out there have any tips on how to lose it?

currently i go to the gym a few days a week, walk to and from work, and eat quite healthy but it still persists. i'd say drinking beer at the weekends doesn't help (although i hate spirits)! going away on a sun holiday in a couple months and really want to rid of it if i can!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

You can't lose fat from one part of body without having liposuction. Consume less calories or do more exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Beer is going to bloat your stomach area and so not going to help your problem. Maybe you could stop drinking ? If thats too much to ask switching to wine may be a better option. Either way though alcohol is fattening.
    Maybe you could talk to your instructor at the gym about exercises that focus more on your stomach area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you eat enough of the right types of foods?
    What sort of things do you do at the gym? Just cardio or weights or both?
    Have a look in the fitness forum or just ask again in the fitness forum and you'll get bucketloads of good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Its the beer.... Your liver cant eliminate the normal fats as its being bombarded (no offense meant) each weekend. As soon as you stop drinking your tummy will reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Im in the same boat OP. I know its cos of bread and beer. Walk and swim a lot but bloody tum tum aint going anywhere.:( Dont care though. Hold it in..:D

My mate has a big problem with it and saw someone recently who said liposuction was the only answer for her (she had a child, so muscles in a bad way)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Sit ups/press ups or any of that lark any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

the spare tire: that stubborn bit of fat around the tummy, hips, and lower back.. do any ladies out there have any tips on how to lose it?

currently i go to the gym a few days a week, walk to and from work, and eat quite healthy but it still persists. i'd say drinking beer at the weekends doesn't help (although i hate spirits)! going away on a sun holiday in a couple months and really want to rid of it if i can!

You could try cutting the carbs, especially the beer, bread and spuds. Make sure you eat three portions of low-fat dairy ( it helps with stomach fat) and stick to leafy greens instead of peas, beans etc. Lean meat, chicken, eggs etc. will keep you feelilng full without bloating. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

healthy eating/lifestyle and situps are your friend, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 perfect_circle

thanks for everyone's advice :) i've cut carbs in the evenings completely and i'm going to cut down on the beer (will give wine a try for awhile on nights out!), so hopefully that will make a difference. situps give my stomach definition but the bulge (and the love handles) still persist. i'm thinking i need to up my cardio (longer sessions in the gym in addition to walking) and add in a few weights to tone up my sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

had this exact problem for the last few months. finally dropped a jeans size phew only another to go!! okay, you need to eat your breakie!! lots of protein and filling food ie. wheatbix, eggs ect. oooh wholemeal bagel with creamcheese and salmon, yummy. it'll fill you up and you wont need food after 7pm.
    no fizzy drinks or alcohol (well maybe twice a week). drink a good bit of water and do some sports/yoga or go to the gym. you have to some work otherwise you cant work off the fat. if you have fat on your tummy you might have a six pack under there after all the sit ups but you cant see it under the fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

High protein, low carb diet with low intensity cardio is best for fat burn. Eat your carbs in the morning, when your body needs energy, it's not like you have to ditch them entirely. Sit ups to reduce fat is a total myth, if anything it'd technically develop muscle that will only push out the fat that's already there making you look bulkier. Not that a few situps is going to develop anything, but you understand what I mean. Good for 'toning', but not for weight loss.

Advertisement