Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

7940g

• 22-03-2008 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello,

I recently got a Cisco 7040g Sip phone from ebay, on the product spec it says the phone can be powered over POE, i have tried all combination to power it on but it doesnt seem to work over the normal poe standard, i don't have the power adapter nor do i want to buy one.
    my current settings are i got a wireless modem connected to NTL Internet, the wireless modem is then connected via a cat v to a 3com Intelljack "model = 3CNJ205", the intellijack provides the 48v required for any POE device i tried using straight through cable and a cross over on the intellijack to the cisco phone it didn't work, then i tried creating a new cat v cable with swapping pin 4/7 & 5/8 that didn't work either, i am getting quite frustrated at this stage. any help would be great.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

This should answer your question - read until the end of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helix26

Hey Joepc,

thanks for link, i have already look at the page earlier although i don't have an Amp meter to test cables..

at this stage i am just wondering if the phone is completly banjaxed..not sure

One thing interesting what i found was the Cisco phones use CDP discovery for POE, so as to get the righ amount of power and most of the switches do not provide support for that.
    Although i had quick read through over the 3com intellijack and found that they are dumb switches and provide power to literally anything..
    so back to square one how to get the phone working.....???

Advertisement