Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which wodden floor to choose?

• 22-03-2008 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

Which wodden floor to choose for a 24 square metre livingroom? I can't afford a solid wood floor so i suppose a laminated one is the only choice.I want something that's good quality.Any ideas on price(including fitting) and any recommendations on who to get would be great.thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

berliner wrote: »
    Which wodden floor to choose for a 24 square metre livingroom? I can't afford a solid wood floor so i suppose a laminated one is the only choice.I want something that's good quality.Any ideas on price(including fitting) and any recommendations on who to get would be great.thanks.

you can buy soilid Oak prefinished for around 25 per meter in prosperous.

this is cheap...

not naming the seller but he is the only provider there.

it would cost between 20 to 30 euro per meter to fit on a small job like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

semi solid is about 20€m2 up solid is about 25€m2 up
    laminates that look pretty good and heave the groove are about 15€m2 upwards depending on where you are in the country you can get fitting subsidised into the price for about 150€ for what you want

those prices are in castlebar don't think yer allowed say where

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

interesting question. My parents are also preparing for the largest home improvement project ever to our home, but in China. The price of solid wood floor in China is very similar to what you get here, 20 to 30 euro per m2.But there are also some really good imported floor from Brazil, costing 70 euro/m2 and those wood do not floating in water:eek:.

Good luck with your searching. I personally prefer real wood floor because the chemicals in laminate is a great concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I just finished off my sitting room (30ft x 16ft) and I used Balterio Oak Plank (a laminate). It cost €20 a square yard at a place in Newbridge. Its got a 4 edge bevel (i.e. grooves along all edges) so it looks like the real deal but with the added bonus of being a tough laminate that my 4 kids won't be able to scratch in a hurry unlike my last house where the solid wood floor was wrecked after a year. Visitors to my place have all thought this 9mm laminate was a real wood floor (and I didn't correct them ;)) so don't let the "solid wood floor" snobs put you off laminates as they are more kid resistant that solids or semi solids.

As for fitting it, its time consuming but it just clicks together so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do it. All you need is a jigsaw for cutting the ends when you are near a wall so give it a go yourself and don't throw money away paying someone money for what is an easy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Thanks for the answers so far.Much appreciated.Oh,i'm in dublin if anyone can recommend someone.Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Totally agree with Prosperous Dave about pre-finished solid flooring not being child proof. After only a couple of weeks of Thomas the tank engines dropping, dinky car driving and all other normal playing with children our prefinished maple floor was wrecked. Will def have to get it sanded and varnished. However if you can get unfinished flooring and finish it with Rustins (as we did in other parts of the house) it's pristine after lots of wear and tear. The prefinished floors are finished with a plastic type coating and they just don't seem to stand up to any wear and tear at all. If I knew then what I know now I'd stay miles away from the prefinished flooring!

Advertisement