Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mount cifs

• 22-03-2008 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am pulling my hair out at the moment! I am trying to mount a windows share from a NAS onto a linux box.

I can get the mount to work just fine, but I cannot get the directory permissions on the mount point to be what I need. Chmod on the mount point once it has been mounted has no effect, I get the following error:

chmod: changing permissions of `tmp': Permission denied

When nothing is mounted, this is what the permissions looks like:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 7 2007 tmp

After I mount, I get this:
    drwxrwx---+ 2 1001 suva 0 Mar 21 23:07 tmp
    but I want rwxr-xr-x!

my fstab entry looks like:
    //windowspc/tmp /mnt/tmp cifs credentials=/etc/tmppasswd,uid=apache,gid=apache 0 1

but I have also tried other options such as:
    //windowspc/tmp /mnt/tmp cifs credentials=/etc/tmppasswd,noauto,users,uid=root,gid=root,dir_mode=0644,rw,file_mode=0644 0 1

Nothing I try has any effect!

Whats really pi$$ing me off here is that I figured this out before (with help!) and now I cant remember what it was that I needed to do!!!!!!

Help!!
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Back to the terminal. I take it tmp already exists under /mnt. As root, try:
    mount -t cifs //<IP of Windows machine>/tmp /mnt/tmp -o user=NAS_USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,uid=USERNAME,gid=users

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

ethernet wrote: »
    Back to the terminal. I take it tmp already exists under /mnt. As root, try:
    mount -t cifs //<IP of Windows machine>/tmp /mnt/tmp -o user=NAS_USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,uid=USERNAME,gid=users

Yep, command executes fine, but the dir is mounted with permissions as follows:

drwxrwx---+ 2 1001 suva 0 Mar 21 23:07 tmp

any more ideas?

Ta,
    Jab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

If world permissions are critical, you can at least mount the share using smbfs instead until you get it sorted.
    Has anything changed since last time you worked it out, or have your needs changed,
    maybe leading you in a different direction?

Advertisement