Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When should i replace the timing belt for an audi a4?

Options
  • 22-03-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

My audi a4 is on 64,000 miles when is the recomended time to change the timing belt trying to get it changed the week after nxt, is it 65,000?
    also my milage on my car is digital and its all messed up u cant see the number its all in clusters how would i go about fixing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Time to replace the belt now.

As regards the mileage display, you probably have led segments blown. Probably needs a new display. Whether that involves the whole unit (speedo, tachometer etc.) I'm not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

what milage should i of replaced it at? 60?
    is it dangerous to drive at the mo? could it snap at any moment?
    ya it looks like its just the led part how much would that cost to fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Change the TB ASAP.............stitch in time and all of that.

is it dangerousfor the car driving it at the mo?
    cant get it replaced till week after nxt, should i not drive it or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

well, you're over the replacement time, so if you do drive her on...and you can....drive easily, normally, no racing starts and mad excessive speeds. No towing - Do not stress the engine etc.

You'll be grand - just dont long finger it and get it done when you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

95-01 A4 petrol is 80,000 miles. Check the manual to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

There is a crowd in england that can refurb your cluster without need for any sort of reprogramming (if you bought a 2nd hand or brand new unit) - a far cheaper alternative to going to a main dealer.
    I can't think of their name, but if you go hunting on http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/cmm/YaBB.pl , someone might be able to put you onto them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I had mine done @60000 on an a4 guy did a fine job to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Age is also an important factor in addition to mileage. If its 4-5years old Id be pulling it off ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I know someone who Audi A4 TB went at 65k miles, however, I don't know his driving style ie does he drive the car hard. It was expensive to fix, like all the other posters said dont put it on the long finger just do it asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Belt and water pump should be replaced every 60k miles on the TDI

the thing is its a bank holiday every place is closed so ill booked it tuesday, then theyll hve the part thursday r friday hopefully thatll be ok, ill hve to drive it every day tilll then work and the such, how much would it cost to replace 400?
    does the water pump hve to be replaced too? how much does that cost?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

BlueDragon wrote: »
    the thing is its a bank holiday every place is closed so ill booked it tuesday, then theyll hve the part thursday r friday hopefully thatll be ok, ill hve to drive it every day tilll then work and the such, how much would it cost to replace 400?

It'll be fine, I just got mine done at 64k or so. It's not black and white like that, it could last you another 20k no problem, or it could go in the morning. Just get it done sooner rather than later.

Water pump is done at the same time, no point getting the work done without replacing the water pump.

Job cost me 600 from a main dealer, independent wanted 700 for same job and another place was up to 750. The belt itself is cheap, the water pump a bit dearer and the tensioners are another cost. The front bumper and the rad has to come off, so there's a few hours labour involved which is where the main cost is.

It's probably the most important maintenance job you will get done though so worth doing soon and by someone you trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BlueDragon wrote: »

It is advised to get the water pump replaced at the same time as the timing belt as the water pump is located near the belt. So since the mechanic is changing the belt it is easier to do both at the same time and it is also cheaper on your pocket.

Cost can vary depending on where you get it done. An independant garage will be alot cheaper than a main dealer. The parts are relatively inexpensive to buy but the labour costs of fitting them are where the money is spent.

bazz26 wrote: »
    An independant garage will be alot cheaper than a main dealer.

You would think so, wouldn't you?

so should i go to a dealership to get it fixed or a small garage?
    i thought it was like 400, crap

Advertisement