Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an online backup provider

Options
  • 22-03-2008 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone got any recommendations for an online(off-site) backup provider?

Probably talking about 2-5gbs maximum but would be great up to 10gb.

Some of the ones I've looked at so far seem expensive enough.

Thanks for any help/advice,
    Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Whats your budget? 2-5Gb's is this per day / week or just static data you want backed up?

How much would you be uploading on a daily basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

joePC wrote: »
    Whats your budget? 2-5Gb's is this per day / week or just static data you want backed up?

How much would you be uploading on a daily basis?
    I would say maybe 100mb at most per day. Probably would be 2-5gb in total files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Cheapest would be host with register365.ie 10GB space / 100GB transfer €120 per year.
    You could also host with any number of off shore companies for cheaper but speed / access times can suffer. e.g. Bluehost.com / lunarpages.com etc....

Setup a ftp account with a secure folder - you could also lock it to your IP address. replicate your data on a daily basis. RSYNC would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fergal.t

It really does depend on your budget and if it is for personal or business use. I have worked for a large IT solutions provider for a number of years and for my own info backup I use www.mozy.com but for business users you could try either www.arion.ie or www.dathaven.ie as all the data is hosted in Ireland and online backup is their only focus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

may be way off here but how about a gmail address?

gives you 6.5Gb . and you can store anything on it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

way too much effort as i think the max file upload size on gmail is 20mb. would be awful splitting it and then emailing it to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

never used em .. but here you go http://www.keepitsafe.ie/textsite/pricing.html

there was something in pc live last month (i think )
    about a program that could manage it for you.
    pc sees 'gmail' as another drive .
    must have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

theres rumours of google offering a g drive soon .. could be april 1 .. they've used that date to launch products before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

GmailFS is what you're probably talking about and has actually been around for quite some time now. It's a nice idea, but I don't think Google actually approve of it. It does work, a mate of mine mounted a GmailFS on his linux box and he could then simply use the folder just like any other network share. Access was handy because all file transactions were over HTTP, so his activities glided through firewalls between him and Google.

Although, and I'm in a similar position myself looking for a suitable provider, I woudln't use Gmail to store sensitive data. Actually I am not completely comfortable with the idea of them hosting any of my files, apart from funny vids, and the usual FWDs that go around. For the simple reason that they mine your mailbox to death, and god only knows where "private" data could end up.

• Advertisement

found it

http://www.getgspace.com/index.html

there is another one http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

don't know how good they might be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Make sure to choose a service that does client side encryption, also some sort of Bit level differential backup will help a lot (Where it can essentially patch large files in place on the server instead of re-copying the entire thing when only a small component changed). I'm in the states so the providers may be quite different but I use a service from FirstBackup.com , have done for a few years now and it's been faultless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

How about www.databackup.ie ?? I've got no affiliation to them but I came across the site the other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Has anyone used Eircom's online backup service?
    fergal.t wrote: »
    It really does depend on your budget and if it is for personal or business use. I have worked for a large IT solutions provider for a number of years and for my own info backup I use www.mozy.com but for business users you could try either www.arion.ie or www.dathaven.ie as all the data is hosted in Ireland and online backup is their only focus

Why not use mozy for business? Security reasons?

As far as I'm aware mozy host in the states or Canada, either way the data isn't in Ireland. So if you have a disaster you will need a fairly good link to the internet to download all of your data, whereas most Irish companies store info in datacenters in Ireland. So in the event of a disaster they can put all you data on a harddrive and bring it to you.

Cool.
    www.databackup.ie seems to be the cheapest Irish provider. Has anyone ever used them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IT guy

we use keepITsafe in our office on 2 servers. From our research into several "Irish" providers they came out on top.

I say "Irish" because many of these providers seem to store data in the U.S. A provider should also have a secondry replication site.

They seem to have a pretty impressive setup alright.
    However their packages seem a bit expensive/unrealistic
    Their charging €20/mth for 1GB storage and €30/mh for 5GB.
    I'd need at least 10 times that storage

On the other hand databackup.ie are charging €20/mth for 50gb. Big difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

databackup look good - impressive pricing

I've just set up an account with carbonite, at $49.95 a year.

So far so good...

They have a free 15 day trial, no cc needed.. So you can try before you buy.

• Advertisement

Nice link, pretty cheap too.

Is upload speed good with them?

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Nice link, pretty cheap too.

Is upload speed good with them?

I've uploaded 5gig there now in the last 36 hours or so on a BT 3mb package.

Yeah for 32 euro a year it is peace off mind for me.

I have 380 gig off music which I intend to back up, probably take me a year to do so.:D

NoDrama wrote: »
    I've uploaded 5gig there now in the last 36 hours or so on a BT 3mb package.

Yeah for 32 euro a year it is peace off mind for me.

I have 380 gig off music which I intend to back up, probably take me a year to do so.:D

:eek: I have about 40gig to backup on a 2mb line.
    Better start now

I think you are probably better off contacting some of the companies directly. Beware of add-ons to the pricing

Nice to see our company getting a mention :)

Regarding upload's a lot of off-site backup providers have now introduced "seeding" of a companys first backup

So if say the customer has 100GB of data in their office the first backup can be taken via an external storage device and uploaded locally at the datacentre (by the databackup company of coarse)

Logistics would come into play obviously, but we have been supplying this service to larger sites in dublin , galway and cork. Uploads from then on could be incremental, so you would simply be uploading the changes in your data

:)

Do you provide this service for the 50GB package or just the larger ones?

Advertisement