Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CPU and GFX card

Options
  • 22-03-2008 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I built a new machine a few months ago and still haven't bought a new processor for it, so I'm constantly moving a Pentium D between it and the old machine. This has to end! Especially as it's such a bottleneck on the new build.

The newer machine has 8 (!) GB of PC6400 800mhz RAM, a Radeon x1950 PRO 256MB, 520w PSU, ASUS P35 mobo, runs Vista 64 and sits in a AXP Xion II case.

I'm thinking of either buying a Pentium Dual Core and overclocking it to 3ghz or getting a Core 2 Duo. What makes more sense? I plan to move the x1950 into the older machine after a while and getting a new card for the new machine so any advice on that would be appreciated also. My mobo supports crossfire only I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Only for gaming?

If it is only gaming, nothing will beat this combo imo for price/performance....

E2160 €54, overclock her to 3.0ghz

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-152-IN

2 X HD3870 €313

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-165-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=416

Machine is a beast now for under €400 delivered...

What psu do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Yeah, it'll be mainly for gaming. Would the 1MB cache on that CPU hold it back? I heard that series were very overclockable alright, are C2D's as OC-able?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

If your on a budget, dont worry about cache! You wont notice much of a difference at all...also the pentiums are the same architecture as C2D's just with the cache cut with a frikkin laser beam! Same chips different names is all!

Den_M wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll be mainly for gaming. Would the 1MB cache on that CPU hold it back? I heard that series were very overclockable alright, are C2D's as OC-able?

Well my E2160 @ 3Ghz doesnt seem to be holding me back in games..

Even if u bought a Q6600 people would still tell you its bottlenecking, which is stupid, because bottlenecking would be sometihng like pentium 4 with a 8800GTS...

The E8200 and up are great overclockers, but they are €160 cpu's and you might as well get a quad for a bit of future proofing then...

Performance wise if you can get the E2160 to or over 3.0ghz its the best €50 you will ever spend imo...

If your 520watt psu isnt a top top quality brand like Corsair then Crossfire is probably out of the question, unless you get a new psu, but no real point when a single card can do the job...

You can get a fab 8800gts 512mb for €205 and added to the €55 E2160 you will have a class system that can play every at the highest settings for a very good price...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-017-PV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

My PSU is made by Trust, which is ironic, as after hearing a lot of bad things about their products I find it hard to trust them at all. Hmmm, yes buying a E2160 does seem like a good move. Assuming I then buy a 8800GTS or equivalent, roughly how long could I go without having to upgrade again?

Hard to say, things move so fast lol...

Provided you are not playing on a 27" 1920 by 1200 monitor, I would say you be fine at high details for a year and then medium another 6 months etc...

The only single graphics cards better than a 512mb 8800gts is a gtx and an Ultra and they consume alot more power, run alot hotter and dont overclock that well, while still being more expenisve, unless you can pick one up second hand...

Advertisement