Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why you join the Army?

• 22-03-2008 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭

Pretty much to goes to any former soldiers or soldiers or anybody who'd like to join on this forum but i was wondering, why'd you join or would join the army. Was it because you were looking for a job? or you wanted to serve your country? Or was it because you wanted to go in for the excitement and the adventure? Were you drawn in because of the Life Less Ordinary saying? So why'd you join.

I'm not actually in the PDF but i've always wondered about peoples reasons. Sometimes when a British or American solider is asked why'd he join, he says something around the lines of because of the people(His friends/comrades) who are in it and that they're a family or something.

If it's any consilation i'd proberly join the PDF because i've always felt obligated to serve my country and to give back to the wonderful nation we call Ireland. I also like the idea of Adaventure and Excitment because i've always been facinated with the Army since i was a child and i guess you could say those War films like Platoon, Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down had an effect on me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RossersToolbox

Without getting alll misty eyed about it I joined the military for a combination of reasons.

1. Family Traditions- Nearly everyone in my family serves or has served in the FCA, RDF, PDF, INS.

2. Patriotism- I love my country as much as it is possible to love any nation than is run into the ground by the pack of cnuts you lot elected.

3. Foreign Deployment- I have been around the world with the PDF and feel I have made a difference in peoples lives that where worse of than I.

The main reason you stay in the Military is your friends and comrades you have made a commitment to them, more so most people feel than the State you serve. This is the reason you put up with ****e you face on a day to day basis in the Military.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Partially because it's cool. I mean, hey, who doesn't want to roll around in a tank and blow things up? I've seen Patton...

Partially because at the time, the only way to shoot large calibre rifles in Ireland was to join up. Only partially though, now I'm in the US I own the large calibre rifles, but am still in the military.

Partly out of a misguided sense of socio-moral responsibility. Contribute something tangible to the society I have chosen to live in, either to your own nation, or those where you are sent to.

Partially because it looks good on the CV. Shows leadership, willingness to take responsibility, discipline...

Mainly though, for the challenge. You're voluntarily doing something which is unpleasant, dangerous and difficult and of huge responsibility. I'll be taking over a cav troop in a few months, there are few jobs which give you authority and responsibility over the lives and livelihoods of over 100 men and their families. And that's just in peacetime: Can you imagine the challenge and responsibility involved in battle? As my CO puts it, "You ain't in the cav 'cause it's easy."
    The main reason you stay in the Military is your friends and comrades you have made a commitment to them, more so most people feel than the State you serve. This is the reason you put up with ****e you face on a day to day basis in the Military.

What he said. It's something you only understand once you're in, you can't really figure it out beforehand. It's almost a leap of faith to sign the dotted line. I remember in Basic Training running laps in the pissing rain at 0530, passing one guy who wheezed between breaths.. "I.... have made... a mistake...." That sort of thing, the shouting, unpleasantness, that's what most people immediately think of/worry about when considering the army. But the real army is beyond that.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

girls love a guy in uniform!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Clay Davis

Bill Hicks has quite a sensible POV on joining the army:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6_b-72H3E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

I thought that guy was suposed to the funiest comedian around?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cato wrote: »
    I thought that guy was suposed to the funiest comedian around?! :confused:

He is but he still had political views. And don't forget he is on about the US military. They are renouned for sending young farm boys off to die. No offence to Manic Moran here I have respect for all Military Personel. It is the People who control them I have a problem with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And don't forget he is on about the US military. They are renouned for sending young farm boys off to die

Maybe you ought to clarify that "They".

And most of my unit are city folk.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

i will be joining for various reasons .. obviously to serve my country but because the way i see it assuming i only stay in for 5/6 years and not longer ill be sitting behind a desk for the rest of my life. Want to do something different while im young and able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

1 I was 17 years old at the height of the NI troubles and the recruitment advertisement on tv at the time made it look so cool .
    2 The irish army was leaving the bulls wool image behind and becoming more modernised with uniforms wepons and transport .
    3 A lot of friends who might have had a spell in the fca were also joining up to .
    4 A sense of Patriotism ,to become a soldier like my father had done and serve ones country .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

I want to do something different, i believe theres alot of opportunities to learn new skills through different corps/courses available, its a chance for me to have a career and a place for me to apply my educational qualifications, the discipline and and routine also appeal to me, i also want to serve this country, due to my background i could chose two other armies due to nationality,armies that are actively engaged in Afghanistan and Iraq and are major players in NATO and western military alliances, but i chose to serve Ireland, esprit de corps (although i wont know about this till i join:rolleyes:) and for the life experience basically to do something worthwhile rather than some lame job on civy street...

• Advertisement
Advertisement