Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant Question

Options
  • 22-03-2008 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks, I have a question about coolant, can anybody help me. My car is low on coolant, its not over heating. I bought some coolant yesterday to put in, can I just pour this in, or does it need to be drained, as it says on the bottle, car should be drained with water. I asked people at work and they say they just poured coolant in to their cars, and no draining. My car is a a Lancer. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You should be able to pour it into the rad/expansion tank until it reaches the max level.
    Is the coolant diluted or undiluted? if its undiluted then you will need to mix it with water.

You will also need to keep an eye on your coolant and if it continues draining, then find out why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You can only put pre-mixed coolant straight in.

Do not put tap water in your car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Yeah its pre mixed, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

JHMEG wrote: »
    You can only put pre-mixed coolant straight in.

Do not put tap water in your car!

why ?

surely its ok to top with a little water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

green123 wrote: »
    why ?

surely its ok to top with a little water ?

Yes but distilled or de-ionised water only.

• Advertisement

i have often used tap water and never noticed any problems.
    what problems could it cause ?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Same here, it not like I'm topping off a battery, why would I need to use DI water?

anyone know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Brother old Audi is pissing out coolant so he just put in tap water when he is driving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I guess its down to the minerals that you get in tap water, which may have a corrosive effect - but antifreeze has anti-corrosive stuff in it, so it shouldnt make a difference in my book - unless they cancel each other out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭blackbox

Better to use de-mineralised water to be sure, but it probably depends on where you live. If you live in a hard water area (i.e. if you get limescale on your kettle element) do NOT put tap water in your radiator. Limescale will block water passages.

If you live in an area with acidic water this could cause corrosion, but will mostly be inhibited by good quality anti-freeze.

Advertisement