Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The End of Velvet Revolver

• 22-03-2008 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

"Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes you just don't get along. I guess there has been more turmoil lately, I guess, with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating, I am not going to lie.

"My career and life in rock 'n' roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunately, some people in this business don't realize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people and fans all over the world. And just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some. Being away from home and family does grind on you sometimes. With all the travelling and different beds. Personally, I love this **** and sometimes can’t believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living.

"Everybody could see who was unhappy last night, but all I can say is let's keep the rock alive, people!!!! In this life, you just pick up and keep moving. And don't ever let anybody stand in your way."

Matt Sorum, March 21st 2008, in response to Scott Weilands onstage comments about Velvet Revolvers current tour being their last

"Responding to our drummer's B]Matt Sorum[/B rant about why the band is in a state of flux:

"Well, first of all, the state of my family affairs is really none of his business, since he is too immature to have a real relationship, let alone children. So don't attempt to stand in a man's shoes when you haven't walked his path. Secondly, 'keeping rock 'n' roll alive?' I've made many attempts to remain cordial with the members of VR, but mainly, the likes of you. Funny though — this is your FIRST band, as opposed to being a hired gun. I've been making records (now on my ninth), which have sold over 35 million copies worldwide and have maintained a level of professionalism regardless of how many drugs I've ingested into my system. I have only cancelled one tour during the entire course of my 16-year run and that was the 'make-up' Australia tour. Now, shall I open that can of worms, Matthew? Release the Kraken? Serve... Volley! You cancelled the Aussie tour in the fall because you went to rehab, but I won't say why… we'll just let Blabbermouth find out for themselves.

"As for our fans — I will sweat, bruise, and bleed for you. And will continue to do so until the end of this tour. However, you deserve to hear VELVET REVOLVER playing… not certain individuals singing along to get a muddied up sound. God forbid — could one imagine if I grabbed a guitar and started soloing along with Slash? That would never happen because I know my place. It's a shame… we were a gang. But ego and jealousy can get the better of anyone. I wish the best and plan to annihilate the stage in the last few shows"

Scott Weiland, March 22nd 2008

Its been obvious from the beginning that Matt Sorum and Scott Weiland dont get along on a personal level, so they decided to form a buisness relationship for the potential of Velvet Revolver, and while they may continue out this tour for the buisness aspect and to get properly paid...I dont expect on a personal level it can continue beyond this point. Scott's words are pretty hurtful, and Matt's didnt seem as hurtful when I read them first, all I can say is that I feel with STP's reunion on the horizon it looks likely that Velvet Revolver will never tour again and the band are effectively finished. Slash may re-form the Snakepit with Sorum (and possibly Clarke) and McKagan will return to Loaded. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Shame as I quite like VR, and I loved Libertad. Was hoping that they would manage at least a third album before splitting a la Audioslave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

it'll be a shame to see the end of VR. it doesn't have to be the end if they can find themselves a new frontman but who knows. i've seen them twice live and they put on a great show,hopefully they can keep their **** together. i'm sure slash is thinking "here we go again,my lead singers causing **** all over again"!!. just to add,i'm a huge axl fan as well so i'm not dumping on axl by slagging him:D:cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

found this on blabbermouth.net
    ccording to several fan accounts and online media reports, VELVET REVOLVER frontman Scott Weiland stunned fans at last night's (Thursday, March 20) VR concert in Glasgow, Scotland, UK by dropping a huge hint the band's time may be up.

He told the sell-out crowd: "You're watching something special... the last tour by VELVET REVOLVER."

A fan who attended last night's show wrote on the band's forum, "Once [Scott announced from the stage that this was VR's last tour], Slash [guitar], Duff [McKagan, bass], Matt [Sorum, drums] and Dave [Kushner, guitar] all looked at each other. They sang 'Fall to Pieces', then Scott goes over to the side of the stage and argues with the sound guy. After a couple of songs, he threw his mic down and walked off. After a long wait, Duff came out with the band and sang the start of 'It's So Easy'. Scott shows up about half way through, sang really half-assed then gone again..."

In an online posting from earlier today, VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum stated about the Glasgow concert, "So last night was interesting. Had a little band turmoil on stage, as you probably all could tell.

"Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes you just don't get along. I guess there has been more turmoil lately, I guess, with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating, I am not going to lie.

"My career and life in rock 'n' roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunately, some people in this business don't realize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people and fans all over the world. And just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some. Being away from home and family does grind on you sometimes. With all the travelling and different beds. Personally, I love this **** and sometimes can’t believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living.

"Everybody could see who was unhappy last night, but all I can say is let's keep the rock alive, people!!!! In this life, you just pick up and keep moving. And don't ever let anybody stand in your way."

Weiland, who recently spent time in rehab at an undisclosed location, has struggled with substance abuse problems for more than a decade, although was reportedly clean for nearly four years until a few months ago. Questions about his condition flared in January when he missed a VELVET REVOLVER performance at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah, claiming transportation problems.

Weiland will reunite with his STONE TEMPLE PILOTS bandmates for the first time this spring/summer for a number of shows, including an appearance at the Rock on the Range festival, to be held May 17-18 at Columbus, Ohio's Columbus Crew Stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Nooooooooooooooooo................:(:(:(:(

These rumours surfaced before, lets just hope they'll only be taking a small break after this tour rather than finishing for good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Kess73 wrote: »
    Shame as I quite like VR, and I loved Libertad. Was hoping that they would manage at least a third album before splitting a la Audioslave.

I actually can't listen to Libertad. I think it's a s****y album. The first album was brilliant, though. I think Scott Weiland is another version of Axl Rose, imo.

I think they'll go the same way as Audioslave, as someone already stated........release one great album that's sells a huge amount, then follow it up with a load of c**p.

Pity, cos they did put on great shows in the Point, and in the Ambassador a little while back.

• Advertisement

Hmmm... I actually liked Libertad, I think it was probably more mellowed out than Contraband and it seemed to be much more mature. I agree that Contraband was better but I don't know if it's fair to say that Libertad is s****y?! It's just different than what we all expected. You have to love gravedancer!! ;)

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Hmmm... I actually liked Libertad, I think it was probably more mellowed out than Contraband and it seemed to be much more mature. I agree that Contraband was better but I don't know if it's fair to say that Libertad is s****y?! It's just different than what we all expected. You have to love gravedancer!! ;)

None of the songs from this album stick in my mind, like they did with Contraband...........there was loads of great songs on that record.

Yeah it really was great! Ah I dunno, I like them both, (do me a favour, listen to gravedancer, it WILL stick in your head, lol) I really don't want them to split up. I read somewhere that they've decided to take a break to work on some solo stuff but that they don't intend on splitting for good, can't remember where I read it but I'm sure somebody else will have seen it too.

And yeah, their concerts were brilliant!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I always thought they were ****, however,not a good time for any hard rock band to split up:mad:

maybe it may be for the better;)

Kona.... Be quiet! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kona.... Be quiet! :rolleyes:

G n R..................................................:D

if eddie van halen took david lee roth back after screwing his wife, then axl will take the others back(or vice versa;)), if only for the money, of which there would be a UNREAL amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Thank you god.
    It was about time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

All I can say is that Scott better pray that this STP reunion takes off and the band become big again because the guy has burnt a lot of bridges it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Clay Davis

All I can say is that Scott better pray that this STP reunion takes off and the band become big again because the guy has burnt a lot of bridges it seems.
    What bridges? VR? And what else?

What the..... (beep!)??!!!

Scott hasn't messed up half as much as Axl did! Really, can somebody please explain why they're proving to be so unpopular here?

(without aggression, sarcasm or comparison to GnR and STP)

What the..... (beep!)??!!!

Scott hasn't messed up half as much as Axl did! Really, can somebody please explain why they're proving to be so unpopular here?
    (without aggression, sarcasm or comparison to GnR and STP)

It's not that they're unpopular, I think they are decidedly average. You would think that any band with Slash,Duff,Matt, and Scott Weiland would be pure class, but they're already resting on the laurels of their first album selling hugely. IMO they could release any old s***e and it would sell millions, not because of the name of the band, but because of the members of the band..............same thing happened with Audioslave. Their first album was brilliant, and the second one was, again, in my opinion, average. I didn't hang around to buy the 3rd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

definitely the worst of the two supergroups that formed in the last 5 years.

i just didn't see the appeal, sure there were great individual members in VR but they just didn't gel enough for me and it showed in the music.

a STP reunion does sound interesting though

Clay Davis wrote: »
    What bridges? VR? And what else?

Well within VR at least he has. And I'm sure Slash, Duff, Matt and Dave aren't his biggest fans at the present time, well Matt anyway. What Matt said was more of a damage limitation statement after what Scott said the night before.

And why does Scott Weiland have to do this over the internet AGAIN ? He did the same thing in the statement about Axl and Axl never said anything directly about Scott.

:confused: .... did he?

:confused: .... did he?

About Axl ? Yes he did I'll try to dig it out and he had a go at Izzy for what reason I have no idea.

Weiland Hits Back at Rose

Velvet Revolver frontman Scott Weiland has unleashed a torrent of abuse on Axl Rose, accusing the Guns N' Roses singer of trying to break up the supergroup.

Rose recently claimed his former bandmate Slash showed up at his door last October with a view to patch up their differences, and poked fun at his new Velvet Revolver bandmates, calling Duff McKagan "spineless" and singer Scott Weiland a "fraud."

Writing on the rockers' Web site, velvetrevolver.com, Weiland insists Rose is a hypocrite who disappoints fans and is incapable of writing songs.

He rants, "Get a new wig [bleep]. I think I'll resist the urge to 'stoop' to your level. Don't think for a second we don't know where those words came from.

"Your unoriginal, uncreative little mind, the same mind that had to rely on its bandmates to write melodies and lyrics. Who's the fraud now, [bleep]?"

"Damn, I couldn't imagine people writing for me. How many albums have you put out man and how long did it take the current configuration of this so-called 'band' to make this album? How long? And without the only guys that validated the name. How dare you! Shame on you!

"How dare you call our bass player 'spineless.' We toured our album over a year and a half. How many shows have you played over the last 10 years? Oh, that's right -- you bailed out on your long-awaited comeback tour, leaving your remaining fans feeling shall we say a trifle miffed?

"What we're talking about here is a frightened little man who once thought he was king, but unfortunately this king without his court is nothing but a memory of the [bleep] he once was. Yours truly, Scott Weiland."

• Advertisement

In fairness he was trying to defend the name of his band! IF Axl actually said that then he was very, very wrong and deserved that attack. I question all of the rumours flying around, it all seems a little too childish to be perfectly honest. They all need to take a step back.

Also, I'd imagine Scott chose to do it all over the net to prove a point considering what happened to him when his email was hacked lol :eek:

stp?

;)Stone Temple Pilots

Good buzz! =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I rather enjoyed both Contraband & Libertad so I'd like to see more VR material in the future. In any case, at least I got to see them twice; Dongington 2007 & the Ambassador this month. Both great performances!

Id much rather see a GnR come back than anything else!
    seeing them at download a while back was amazing, but i would of liked to see the full line up, but i have to say, the musicains playing where still amazing

bitchin N' Snitchin,

i think that VR shows Slash and duff up. The best thing they can do is go back to GnR as far as their careers and bank balance is concerned.
    If they cant then they should retire and not tarnish their reputation anymore with ****e.

They in my opinion dont have it, to form another new group, and lets face it slashs snakepit will never be as big as VR.( poison rejected slash, POISON for **** sake:D:D:D:D)

scott was always mediocre, he can sing, but is a **** frontman, full of ****, a pussy and a junkie. He makes bret michaels look like bon scott:D:D
    I mean STP were always kinda like the middlesborough of rock:D:D

tis a pity, they were almost the only mainstream hard rock group left....who will step up now?

CianRyan wrote: »
    Id much rather see a GnR come back than anything else!
    seeing them at download a while back was amazing, but i would of liked to see the full line up, but i have to say, the musicains playing where still amazing

The band is still around. The full line up ? And you mean the members of GNR played well yes ?

in my eyes, their not GnR anymore, id love the original line up back!

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    in my eyes, their not GnR anymore, id love the original line up back!

I agree but I was a fan of the original line up first but I'm just glad that GNR is back and at least they are reminding fans of the name.

Advertisement