Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vet med students??!

Options
  • 22-03-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

hey guys,
    Im doin the big LC this yr but am planning on doing veterinary nexy yr..for anyone that is doing the course nw..I was wondering hw are ye finding the course?? Replies would be appreciated!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Hey

Im in 2nd yr vet med. Its a great course if veterinary is what you want to do. Id make sure you have some experience of what veterinary life is like with both large and small animal vets- theres quite a difference.

The course is very tough, the hours are long enough so far anyways and there is a mountain of work on top of that. Studying all the time is a must- unfortunately ! The course is on the most part well run. The first 2 years are pre-clinical so you dont see that many animals and its quite science based an problem based learning is a big thing now. From 3rd yr on it gets harder with 8am starts most days and lots and lots of lectures and labs -not looking forward to that.

In the first two years, if youre not from a farming background most of your holidays will be spent of farms getting animal handling experience- things like lambing and calving. Its great fun but you have to organise it all yourself- which if you dont have contacts can be a pain. But its well worthwhile.

One the whole, I love veterinary and wouldnt change it for the world but its a very challenging course, and not just academically. If its definitely what you want then go for it.

If you have any more questions about the specifics of it let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Whatever happened to LovelyHurling? Wasn't he a vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I lived with vets last year and found the social scene is great. They are very close, the Vet College as a whole and not just by year. Everyone seems to know each other.
    It seems like in vet, a D is a good score. No one seems to get firsts. All these people are very clever yet there's a lot of fails.
    It seems to take up a lot of time, especially holidays with seeing practice, and of course you don't get paid.

I don't think it's as glamorous as I would have thought anyway, but the people who stuck with it seem to really enjoy it, as much as they might complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Hi
    Im a final year vet so just PM me any specific Qs, tis no bother! All I can advise is you wanna be REALLY super sure you want to be a vet cause its a damn tough course so its not the kinda one you wud get through wit half an effort! Best of luck wit d LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

Hey guys thank so much for the response...its cool tlkin to ppl who are actually on the course! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement