Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange game request

Options
  • 22-03-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a pc game for someone who has never played games before. They are over 50 so anything that requires quick hand eye coordination is out. (so no FPS etc).

It also has to be able to run on an old laptop, 1.5ghz 512mb ram. Ive been racking my brain all day trying to think of something suitable.

All I can come up with is Grim Fandango or the Monkey Island games. Mainly because of the slow pace and the point and click nature. However, I seem to remember both series being really difficult.

Hmm. Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If they like football get Football manager. If not maybe Broken Sword or sim city

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Point 'n' clicks would probably be most apporpriate. They are generally difficult however: I'd agree with Bubs that Broken Sword would be one of the most accessiable, but not necessarily 'best' examples of the genre.

Also, Age of Empires seems to be a really popular game with non-gamers I know. Don't ask me why, but seems to suit more casual and beginner gamers well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Point 'n' clicks would probably be most apporpriate. They are generally difficult however: I'd agree with Bubs that Broken Sword would be one of the most accessiable, but not necessarily 'best' examples of the genre.

Also, Age of Empires seems to be a really popular game with non-gamers I know. Don't ask me why, but seems to suit more casual and beginner gamers well.

I've got AOE1&2 + expansion packs, still in their wrapping, can have it for some eurons if you want :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

What about strategy games like Civilization 2/3, Age of empires and Sim City. My dad is in his late 50s and still plays Civ and Sim City games religiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

is this person a male or a female

• Advertisement

You could just download a snes emulator

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bubs101 wrote: »
    You could just download a snes emulator

in before the lock :D yes what bubs means to say is that he assumes the individual already owns a SNES and games and therefore would be able to use an emulator to run "backups" of his games.

Also, you can't really go wrong with popcap games. Anybody and their dog will have fun playing them and they'll also run on anything.

Bejeweled and Peggle being 2 good examples.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    in before the lock :D yes what bubs means to say is that he assumes the individual already owns a SNES and games and therefore would be able to use an emulator to run "backups" of his games.

Of course that's what I meant.it would be a shame not to backup those games incase something happened

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cheers for the suggestions. Bejeweled, Sim City & Broken sword might be worth a shot alright.

I'm gonna give them Grim Fandango first though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Possibly some sim type games, an older flight sim, a driving/racing sim or maybe a naval sim ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i remember there was a game called God back the day i was using Windows 3.1,good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

If you can track down a copy ... I think The Neverhood would be a winner here.

Cracking puzzle game ... it's a classic ... claymation, frame by frame animation, great soundtrack, and it will run on a very modest spec PC.

No cat like reflexes required ... just a sense of humour, and a willingness to try, try again. Very rewarding game, challenging, but not too hard ... and if your pal get's stuck ... there are any number of walkthroughs online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Carmageddon or Interstate '76.
    Or Cannon Fodder!

And in the other direction I'll go with Day of the Tentacle or City Of Lost Children. Played the last one when I was 7 i think, and it was just...weird. Stuck with me ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Civ3, very slow paced and great for older machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seraphimvc wrote: »
    i remember there was a game called God back the day i was using Windows 3.1,good fun!
    An excellent game, one that is on the SNES, should you have an emulator (oh, and the game of course;))

=-=

Card games, and mahjongg. Also, remember to get a big clunky non-wireless mouse for them to plug in. Laptop mouses ftl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Peggle!
    peggle2hu2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Peggle! That will get them hooked..........

http://www.popcap.com/games/peggle

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

trout wrote: »
    If you can track down a copy ... I think The Neverhood would be a winner here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverhood

Any idea where one might track down a copy of this game?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

If RPG's are a runner - how about Planescape: Torment or Fallout 1/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If RPGs are a go then Balders Gate II ftw. Or failing that Icewind Dale I and II.

• Advertisement
Advertisement