Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pencil Ignition coils on Renault

Options
  • 22-03-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all,

The "Toxic fume filter" light started flashing today on my 2002 laguna 1.6 petrol. After reading articles in the renault forums it appears that the pencil ignition coils may be faulty, well one of them anyway. The car feels like its not firing on all cylinders.

Can any mechanics here tell me if its a fairly simple job to replace?, i.e. could I do it myself ,or would I have to take it to a garage?

Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

anyone??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Same answer as on Askaboutmoney.com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd imagine they're a plug in job.

Disconnect each in turn and whichever one makes no difference to the running engine is your culprit.

A common problem, by all accounts.

Same answer as on Askaboutmoney.com :D

Good call Henry, but there is no harm in expanding your audience base, as I have found the expertise varies from each site. You never know which one will give you the more informed reply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fair point mildews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I have an 05 1.6 petrol megane, I've put 2 coils in it in about 2 years. Big prob with them until they changed manufacturer last year some time I think. You'd have them changed in 10 mins, hardest part is figuring out which one is gone, just got to keep substituting until you get the right one.
    When they go the car will chug, engine management light will normally come on, car will have no power and will be misfiring.

DannyBuoy, You just described it perfectly. Would it be prudent to get all four changed? (assuming that there is a common failing with the factory fitted units)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd buy two, and keep one good 'un in the car with you.

Thanks all for the help.

Advertisement