Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday Skate (long distance)

Options
  • 22-03-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any Friday (or any other day) Skate being organized in Dublin, like in many major cities in Europe (like London, Barcelona, Zurich, Amsterdam, etc). I come from abroad and I really miss this here in Dublin.

So what is a Friday Skate? Well, this is how I have experienced it abroad: basically it is a long distance skate event, recurring every week (if the weather allows it) and you go skating in a large group (say 100 to 5000 people large, we can start with 20 of course ;)) and anyone can join. Every week the organization plans a new route through the city and around it (with a break in the middle). The average skate is between 20 and 25 kilometers (done in 2 to 2,5 hours, including break) and once in a while a speedskate is organized of 35 to 40 kilometers (again done in 2 to 2,5 hours) and other themed skates (like st. paddy's day skates or something else). Because we are in a big group, everyone skates on the normal road (we may need to inform the authorities) and the main focus is on getting to do the distance (tricks are fun, but long distance skating can also be very fun ;))

Please let me know if anyone knows one of these type of recurring skate events being organized or if anyone is interested in organizing one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Hi, sounds like fun.
    Is this skateboards, inline or rollerskates??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I was in Holland last week and saw that they do it every week. Sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheAppo

Sounds fun - but much of people in Dublin are on aggressive inlines so 25km can be a problem in those ;)
    But sound great - someone must only ask the authorities for permission ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kidflan07

Hi There is a Sunday Skate starting in the Phoenix Park in May 2008. Its recreational skate for beginners. The max will be 20. All welcome. Let me know if this is of interest.

We are seeking experienced skaters to do demos and show off some basic and advanced moves.

Anyone could do it ?

contact me on 087 694 4553 frances.flannery@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 norvo

So I assume this Sunday Skate you are referring too is about tricks and not about long distance? Am I right?

• Advertisement

No its actually just for beginners. I have no idea how many will turn up. We have a running group and are organising a skate and train group for anyone who wants a few pointers to get them started.

But what I am hoping is that we will have an experienced skater or two to come along on the first day to demonstrate some basic moves and some tricks too.

Would you be able to do that?

HI Julien
    Im delighted to hear about the roll and ride. However I think we will probably need a bit of experience before we take that on.

Please ask your friend Patrick to email me on frances.flannery@gmail.com as I need to get the numbers sorted. Also if you know anyone who wants to begin skating with others, please pass on the details to them. Girls and guys welcome.

What is your email so I can keep in touch with you?

Fran

Advertisement